Most Night Spots In Bangkok And Pattaya Stick To Smoking Rules: Survey

webfact

I think a smoking ban that isn't followed is more harmful than allowing smoking but requiring clubs to have signs outside that indicates if they allow it or not - with full compliance if they do not allow it.

I definitely agree with this. It should be default that NO smoking is allowed inside any establishment unless signs are posted (both inside and out) expressly permitting it. The problem is that very few restaurants and bars enforce whatever signs they have posted. Probably more to the fact that Thais don't like to be confrontational and since they are the ones working in these establishments it is on them to enforce the rules. And that is where much of this falls apart. I don't like being forced to leave because the establishment has become an unhelthy one but if I am properly aware of the inside conditions I will certainly chose not to enter. Of course I am speaking from the "me" standpoint.

I still feel that the employees need to be given a safe work environment or compensated with things such as health insurance if asked to work in a smoke filled environment. To put it on the poor, desperate, and often under educated worker to make the best decisions for their long term health is asking too much and this is why regulations are needed.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't the workers have a choice of not working there?

You may find that there are workers who smoke and would actually like to work in a smoking environment. So you are taking away THEIR choice. Or is it only non smokers that are allowed a choice.

I have to thank the state of Kalifornia for banning smoking in the bars. I was living as frugally as possible to save money for my retirement in Thailand. I quit going to the bars altogether so was also able to save that money.

If someone owns a bar, I think it should be up to the owner whether to permit smoking or not. There could be smoking bars and non smoking bars. That's the way a democracy should work. One of the reasons I live in Thailand is that I have no desire to live in a nanny state. I do refrain from smoking in restaurants because I do respect people who don't like the smell of tobacco smoke. Cigarettes and beer go together and if you don't like me smoking, go somewhere else that is a no smoking bar.

Years ago they banned smoking in bars in california to protect the health of the employees forced to breath the second hand smoke. Many bar owners got around this law by making all employees co owners of the bar. They were required to buy one dollars worth of the company. If all were owners and none were employees..smoking is permitted.

NEWS FLASH!

Bars are not health clubs.

People go to bars for intoxication ( can be deadly) and sex (also a health risk these days)

Go to church for clean air and sweet people.

If you do not like the smokey bar you find yourself in..go for a run in the clean fresh BKK air!

Maybe what is need is smoking bars and non smoking bars!

Maybe you should try a non drinking bar! 55555coffee1.gif

Don't the workers have a choice of not working there?

You may find that there are workers who smoke and would actually like to work in a smoking environment. So you are taking away THEIR choice. Or is it only non smokers that are allowed a choice.

The workers have a lot less choice than the customers. Also, since when is smoking while working allowed in most businesses? Even if the employee wanted to smoke on the job I'm sure they would be asked to do it outside the view of the customers. I am more talking about restaurants and the service staff so I could see many arguments that bg's would be able to smoke when they are not on stage or maybe even smoke on stage.

I think you are really advocating that hospitals should be adequately staffed.

Of course, awareness among the general public and prevention of diseases are general issues, not limited to the hazards of smoking.

What is more reasonable and intelligent, to decrease the number of preventable diseases from occurring in the first place, or to just increase staff and facilities?

Do you continue to add combustibles while trying to extinguish a fire?

As long as there isn't any stupid idea such as socialized medicine introduced then it clearly is a persons own choice to start smoking and their price to pay if they get sick.

And being here a bunch of years I have never had an issue with hospitals being understaffed. But then again, I always go to the different - not expensive - private hospitals around. It is only when it becomes a government hospital that there seems to creep up things such terms as 'understaffed' and 'poorly maintained', probably because if it was privately run they couldn't count on the governments bailout to survive even if the clients avoided them.

The public hospital health system for Thais in Thailand is very much like socialized medicine.

NEWS FLASH!

Bars are not health clubs.

People go to bars for intoxication ( can be deadly) and sex (also a health risk these days)

Go to church for clean air and sweet people.

If you do not like the smokey bar you find yourself in..go for a run in the clean fresh BKK air!

Maybe what is need is smoking bars and non smoking bars!

Maybe you should try a non drinking bar! 55555coffee1.gif

Moronic rationalizations, analagies and constructs.

• 1 month later...

I have just finished reading this whole thread and i have read and heard all of the arguments both for and against smoking many times before.

What would happen if i asked a person who is smoking (while i am trying to enjoy a meal)to stop and he or she does not comply?

If it would escalate and the bib would show up?Any ideas?So far i have just walked out and let things be.

I am not going to try to convince anyone with arguments,most things have been said but let me just state a fact,

laws have been passed to prohibit smoking in many places,these laws will not be turned back and it is just a matter of time untill they will be enforced.It will not be up to the bar owner or his clients,it is the law.