Can Someone Translate Please?

Neeranam

Interesting website! I'll translate them as literally as possible. The numbers are the order of the sticker. I did the untranslated ones and the ones I thought slightly mistranslated. Sorry if there're any mistakes.

6 Everytime you tap me, I’ll give you a reward = I’m ready whenever you ask for it (sex).

8 Not seeing the coffin, not crying = Not realizing something of serious importance until it happens or at the final moment = careless, negligent

15 I’m having a spasm! (medium vulgarity as it conveys sex)

18 Not feeling repentent until you get knocked up

19 Drive fast, the money’s good; Drive carelessly, the cops grab you!

20 The boss doesn’t mind, so I’m having a reckless fun

24 I’m sick of new drivers! (amateurs = mue samak len) this is a mockery of another common sticker “ko apai mue mai” (Sorry, I’m a new driver = just learning to drive).

25 This car will make me rich

26 Sorry, I’m in a hurry to work

27 (This car model is the…) “I say you will be rich” model (an adapted version of Luang Por Khoon’s famous saying and amulets)

28 New driver, no pollution

29 True love loses to a (Mercedes) Benz

30 I'm not cool, but have something to eat (a reverse version of a more well-known “Cool but doesn’t have anything to eat”)

31 You’re asking for a spanking!

32 Lie still, it’ll be good

33 You’re asking for it.

34 Born rich.

36 Wealthy of down payment

38 Fast to be drunk (a word play of “wattu wai fai” (inflammable)

40 Cheap or expensive, it better be red.

42 A dog stole my wife. (dog = new lover)

47 Wait for turtle (my slow car)

48 I’m not afraid of smart people, I’m afraid that you’re not smart

49 Don’t touch my husband (= he’s mine) (an adapted version of the Thai title of a famous Hong Kong film “Puying Ka Krai Ya Tae” (Don’t touch my woman).

50 Every sweat is for my children’s future

Will continue later.

Edited by Gappui

51 I knew it!

52 Taking care of you is killing me

56 When I have time, I should hire you to be my wife

58 Drive fast, I’ll be suspected of using amphetamine (ya ma or ya ba), drive slow, I’ll get cursed like a dog.

59 Anyway I look, you’re a Laotian (a kind of deregatory toward Isaan people)

60 Plara (smelly Isaan food) mouth plus the mouth of a market vendor (the word “plara” is misspelled to “para”)

61 Seeing smoke makes me tired, seeing “mor” (a slang for a certain female’s body part) makes me smile. (medium vulgarity)

62 Bad boy (or girl)

63 In traffic jam, use the motorcycle, but if you want safety, ride with me.

64 I’m not a Laotian (but the phrase is in Laotian language)

65 You’re good

66 Bad, good, weathy, or poor, no one can avoid traffic jam.

67 A trouble-maker

69 You deserve to die for passing on a left lane. (the word “suek” is rude”)

70 Darn…(you’re/she’s/he’s) playing hard to get (the word “mang” is rude)

71 If you think you’re fast, try passing on a curve.

72 Gotta ask the big sister first.

73 Weathly or poor, no one can avoid “cherng tagon” = (I’m not sure what it is exactly, but it’s something to use in a cremation, probably to collect the ashes). The word in the phrase is “ta-gron” which is a misspelled abbreviation – which I never heard anyone use this word).

74 When your husband is careless, then you’ll have sex with you (this is a ruder version of a more well-known phrase “pua pler laew jer GUN” = we’ll meet when you’re husband is careless.

75 Doing it just for fun can produce a body (= baby).

76 Drive slow, don’t dare being on the right lane.

78 Drunken fiend (= basically means a drunkard but sounds a little better)

79 Wild age

80 Hiding from my wife

84 Orphaned (deprived) of money

85 Bad old man

86 My wife’s here to control me

87 Affair by heart

88 For you

89 Big boss’ order

90 Bought a wife with cash, got this car by mortgate

91 If you know, you’ll get the chill

93 I knew it (same as #51)

94 Gone/ Bad luck

95 Even though I’m fast, I’m not passing on a curve.

I translated them as close to the orginal word and order in the phrase as possible, so some of them might not make much sense. Feel free to ask.

Edited by Gappui

A lot of these are more fun when you say them in Thai. Seems to lose some impact in the translation. :D

for example #8 comes from Kung <deleted> movies/novel.

usually said before a big fight scene. :o

8 Not seeing the coffin, not crying = Not realizing something of serious importance until it happens or at the final moment = careless, negligent

Wow... Bumper stickers, sure, but would you believe that transliteration scheme!!!! :D

This is THE perfect example to illustrate my opinion on the more elaborate transliteration schemes that actually manage to be 'perfect': they're almost MORE complicated to learn than just learning the Thai script itself! :o

Wow...  Bumper stickers, sure, but would you believe that transliteration scheme!!!!  :D

This is THE perfect example to illustrate my opinion on the more elaborate transliteration schemes that actually manage to be 'perfect': they're almost MORE complicated to learn than just learning the Thai script itself!  :o

IPA is actually pretty simple if you have taken basic phonetics. My uni did IPA characters for English in three 2-hour lessons. For Thai, maybe add another two lessons.

Did you actually download and install the IPA font on the site first? If not, I understand your confusion as the initial encoding is completely off the wall.

If anyone has time, could they please help me out here and translate the following web-page with bumper stickers?

Also how rude are they?

Sorry if any are offensive.

http://seasrc.th.net/sticker/

I doubt they offend forum members, but I bet they offend plenty of Thais. Really surprised to realise this sort of stuff is on display... Nice one for putting them online!

They are hardly offensive. Thais in general are fine with dirty or even sexist jokes. Go to any of the night "cafes" and you'll hear much worse that make people ROTFL. The only forbidden jokes that would make people say "ooh..." are about listener's father/mother, Buddhism (sometimes), and absolutely not about the royal family.

• 3 years later...
The direct link is http://crcl.th.net/sticker/

This is the same page that used to be at http://seasrc.th.net/sticker/. Pity the old links are all broken now. Also, that page is a good 10 years old, so it all needs to be converted to Unicode. It still requires a special font to view the phonetics.

Thanks for that, next time I see those symbols I won't have to waste my time trying to figure out what fonts I'm missing

Edited by klons

• 3 weeks later...

The funniest bumper sticker that I have seen in Thailand was on a white van. The bumper sticker translated into English "This van is red". A Thai lady said that the reason for this sticker would be something like "the person has had some bad luck with his white van, so by putting the bumper sticker "This van is red" on his van, it would change his luck!"