Setting Up A UK Bank Account For My Wife

Hi all

I know this is not Visa related, But hope someone can help me.

I have been trying to set my wife up with her own Bank account or joint account.

since my wife's passport is in her maiden name, we are finding it very difficult to do anything regarding setting up either a joint account or her own account.

My own bank has turned her down with Both Her own account and i cant add her for a Joint account.

I have a Nationwide account, But i am still lacking information that would satisfies them, but they did say that a P45 would be Ok for Proof on who my wife is.

On that, I phoned the tax office up and she cant get a P45 until she gets a Job and many places wont give a job unless you have a bank account.

any advice please.

(the tax office said that she can open a Post office account, So that maybe Ok to look at)

Many newcomers to the UK have this problem; my wife did.

"You can't open a bank account if you haven't got a credit history; you can't get a credit history if you haven't got a bank account!" annoyed.gif

Some banks will open an account for her but not give her a debit card, just an ATM card. So it may be worth shopping around. Alternatively most banks will open a joint account in her and your names.

BTW, I've edited the topic title to show which country you are asking about. Please remember that this is an international forum, not one just for Brits (though it may seem to be at times!whistling.gif )

My wife opened an account at the co-op bank in her maiden name, they issued an atm card only, she also had an account at nationwide, they issued an atm card which she used to draw cash in Thailand when it was free, also put your wife on the council tax bill.

Edited by steve187

Barclays were happy to open an account for my wife based on sight of her passport (with her temporary leave to remain settlement visa) and our marriage certificate together with a copy of our council tax bill in joint names. The council changed to joint names over the phone and supplied confirmation in writing. Barclays provided a debit card and cheque book but obviously no overdraft facility.

They would not let her have an account or convert mine to a joint account without the utility bill!

The Halifax do a Easy Cash Account, it's pretty simple to set up, but does take a while for them to say yes and activate it for you.

It's debt account so can be used for chip and pin etc.

After about 3 months you can upgrade to the normal current account too.

Nationwide are by far the most difficult, often insist on additional ID at every twist and turn. If your London based then Metro Bank the easiest and friendly to boot plus a surcharge free debit card when used in Thailand. Otherwise Co-op or Barclays seem OK as others have mentioned. I think that the fact that many of us have Nationwide accounts dates back to when their Flex account card was good value to use in LOS. Those days have gone.

My Wifes passport is in her maiden name.She opened an account with Lloyds bank.Classic current a/c

with Visa Debit Card .Marriage certificate,passport,Uk FLR ID Card,NHS card & NI letter were sufficient documentation .

I phoned the local branch stating what documents were available from my wife.No problem was the

reply. Account opened in 15 minutes.Issued with A/c number & sort code on application & Cheque book ,debit card received within 10 days.

The Halifax who i had banked with for 30+ years & never overdrawn did not want to know (Re joint named A/c) .

When my wife and I moved to the UK for work a few years back (Australian and NZ passports) we found it a massive PITA to open accounts with the catch 22 described above.

We bit the bullet and simply paid this mob http://www.1stcontactkickstart.com/before-you-go-to-uk/open-uk-bank-account.aspx to do it for us. Cost 20 quid or something but after a week of getting knocked back by every branch I walked into it seemed a small price to pay. They even got us a credit card.

At the time the 'catch' was that they sign you up to the highest fee account, but after the first month we just shifted down to the bog standard free accounts and we were sorted. Might be an option worth considering.

Edited by samran

Try going for a 'basic' bank account no overdraft etc etc designed for those with bad credit scores.

Otherwise a joint account initially can work with some banks.

Hope those who complain of problems opening an account in Thailand read this thread .............................

--Just seen, this is my post number 1000! Well done to me.

Edited by briley

The other thing they accept I'd a letter grok the Council for Electoral role application. That worked for my wife at Natwest.

My understanding is that she can't be on the electoral roll unless she is entitled to vote; Thais are not entitled to vote in UK elections.

As the spouse of a British citizen she would need to have been living in the UK for at least three years before she could be naturalised as British and be entitled to vote and so be included on the roll.

So, if you managed to have your wife included on the electoral roll before she was naturalised as British I'd be very interested to hear how it was done; as would many others, I'm sure.

The Halifax do a Easy Cash Account, it's pretty simple to set up, but does take a while for them to say yes and activate it for you.

It's debt account so can be used for chip and pin etc.

After about 3 months you can upgrade to the normal current account too.

We just opened my wife's account with Halifax this morning, as well as a separate joint account. The only documents we had available was her passport & a letter to her from the doctor confirming her NHS number, but they said the NHS card was only accepted for people under 18.

Anyway they said it would be no problem opening her account so long as I signed a statement saying that I have known her for at least 12 months because she obviously has a non-UK passport.

Using only her passport and the statement I signed she was offered whatever account she liked and so we went with a standard current account and a savings account for the joint account. Sounds like different branches of the same bank have different policies as there was no mention of having to wait 3 months to upgrade to different accounts, they offered her the lot immediately. It was also all done & approved (both accounts) in under 30mins

Regards

HSBC will open an account, if you are premier then they'll add a joing account to your portfolio.

As for electoral role, well, my wife obviously cant vote as she is no a Brit yet. However, she is on the electoral role - or so the council told me - as she pays the council tax on our house. I have verified this through 192people as strange as it appears.

Perhaps the electoral role is used for more than just voting, IE police checks if you are stopped to ascertain abode etc. She has also been given store cards and the retailers have said they check the electoral role to ascertain proof of address and that the applicant isnt of no fixed abode.

Perhaps there are differing elements to the ER?

Thank you for your replies,

it looks like certain banks are more helpful than others. I did enquire at the HSBC for my wife but they wanted my Business as well and i am more than happy with the bank that i am with, even though they would not give my wife a bank account.

i will give the Halifax a try next week, I have an account with them, So will try either to get my wife an account or try for a Joint account.

Malc

• 2 months later...
As others have mentioned the basic account with Halifax is the easiest to set-up. Your wife will be able to have her own account but give them a call before just to double-check you have the required docs.

Apologies, I just noticed the age of this thread - hope your wife has upgraded beyond the basic account now!

I am with Lloyds Bank, They gave my wife an account two weeks after she came to live in the UK, all they asked for was proof of Resistance. She has a classic account and an ISA now.

Edited by Thongkorn