Big Bikes

INTJ

I bought a Kawasaki Boss last year and did 14,000 trouble free Kms on it. It cost 75,000 Baht New. Plus 5,000 for a lock up box (Fitted), Crash Bars (Factory), Windscreen and brighter headlight bulb. Rego was about 100 Baht I think, it was so cheap I don't remember. The Boss is 175 cc Chopper style single banger that carried the two of us around central and northern Thailand at 1 Baht per Kilometre cruising at between 100-120 Kmph. I had to replace the chain twice. They are weak but cheap and quick to replace. I guess the 175 Kgs of me and my gf take it out on the chain!

The reason I bought Made in Thailand are obviuos to me.

1. Low rego.

2. No body wants to steal it! No need for insurance.

3. You can get service if you need it anywhere, including Burma where I got the chain adjusted for free!

4. I got 50,000 Baht for it from the dealer I bought it from when I left Thailand for 6 months.

5. The bike came with a free first service, 1yr warranty, prompt minor servicing, like chain and oil changes.

I will buy another new bike in Thailand in the new year. This time I will buy a Honda Phantom for the extra 25cc. Price? If you buy a Blue one, nobody wants one I think, 80,000 Bhat, 85,000 Baht for Black, Red and Grey/Silver paint. I will put a windscreen, crash bar, and lockable panier so all up should be about 85,000 Baht.

Where? Any reputable dealer in Bangkok. My dealer was near the Bobae clothing markets next to the Election Commission Building.

I hope they raise the cc limit and perhaps a twin 250cc would be great. Import bike? Forget it. Big engined bike? Forget.

Oh and one thing more. Get your gf, house keeper what ever you call her to buy it. The whole deal is over in 20 mins.

Motorcycle Licence? I have a International licence, but have never had to show it. 200 Baht normally works for the police charity fund.

My two bahts worth.

Well from my experience for what its worth, buy the Thai. Boss or Phantom, I have been down the import path, there always seems to be a problem, wrong name on the book etc. Buy a phantom I did its great fun and suits the Thai way of driveing !!!!! Hey whats this in the outside lane with one headlight :o:D

+1

Excellent advice. I been there and done that too; never again. I wouldn't take a big bike now if you gave it to me. The cheating repair shops and lack of parts availability were the last straws. Get a Phantom! It's all you need. I'm SO happy and relieved I got mine.

horses for courses, im actuallly inclined to agree that for a road bike a small bike in thailand is the better/safer option,.i gave up big road bikes here after travelling thailand and witnessing the driving and road conditions,a trail bike is the best option for here but a boss or a phantom is ok for most places,.

As the OP in this 2 year old thread I will add my 2 satangs worth -

I have a 1997 CB750 imported from Japan with no registration that I ride everywhere, never been stopped. The bike is in perfect condition and cost me 60K baht. Beat that for value.

Makes me laugh on a thread about big bikes, theres always one or two raving about the Phantom or CBR150. They are probably an OK runabout as a chopper replica or whatever, and good value for money, but big bikes they are definitely not.

The CBR is probably quite good at what it does, but I've seen one too many older dudes in Pattaya living the dream on their Phantoms, complete with tassles on the end of the handlebars etc.

I don't really get the whole chopper thing, crazy dogs etc with their big buckles and denims. Reminds me of those Clint Eastwood films with the orang-u-tang "right turn, Clyde".

Cheers

Phantom or CBR150 . . . good value for money, but big bikes they are definitely not.

Yep, good value, easily and quickly repaired anywhere, new, fully registered and legal, totally reliable, inexpensive to operate, no constant headaches with the cheating, sloppy big bike repair shops.

No need for any big bike in Thailand; the roads are too bad, too much traffic; in a city like BKK or PTY a big bike never gets out of 2nd gear and gasoline costs are exhorbitant.

Nobody said they are big bikes and it's good they aren't.

I've seen one too many older dudes in Pattaya living the dream on their Phantoms, complete with tassles on the end of the handlebars etc.

Harmless enough. That's just your problem, pal. Sounds like you're awfully worried about your own image in a reverse sort of way. Who you trying to impress? You want street cred, wave your bank book & credit cards or buy a nice car.

I don't really get the whole chopper thing

Mental block, I suppose. I would note that a cruiser-style bike is more comfortable to ride for most of us. The riding position on a sports bike bothers my back and the handling is too sensitive as well.

Edited by JSixpack

Phantom or CBR150 . . . good value for money, but big bikes they are definitely not.
Yep, good value, easily and quickly repaired anywhere, new, fully registered and legal, totally reliable, inexpensive to operate, no constant headaches with the cheating, sloppy big bike repair shops.

No need for any big bike in Thailand; the roads are too bad, too much traffic; in a city like BKK or PTY a big bike never gets out of 2nd gear and gasoline costs are exhorbitant.

Nobody said they are big bikes and it's good they aren't. I would note that a cruiser-style bike is more comfortable to ride for most of us. The riding position on a sports bike bothers my back and the handling is too sensitive as well.

It's good that the Phantom and CBR150 are not big bikes. I would note that a cruiser style bike is less comfortable to ride for me (and there's a Phantom 200 in our driveway that I never ride). The handling of the CBR is not too sensitive; but it is far more sensitive than the Phantom.

Anecdote: last night in traffic, at two traffic lights in a row, I sat next to a big farang on a Suzuki 250 dual purpose bike: high seat, spoke wheels, high fenders, no helmet, etc. We got to talking and he wanted to sell his bigger bike and get a CBR150! He said he can't get parts for a 250 in Thailand. I told him I've heard that story ever since first coming to the north. (I know, you can find parts for a Ducati Pantah on every third street corner in Bangkok, but try finding parts for a Suzuki 250 in Upper Ratshit, Isaan). I beat him off the line both times when the light changed, and he was trying to keep up! :o Maybe he was missing an essential part, or his mechanic had been one of those cheating, sloppy types.

"No need for any big bike in Thailand"

I'm sure the folks at over at GT-Rider might disagree with you there :o

Only goes to further emphasise the gap in mindset between people who ride big bikes, those who don't, and those who pretend they do. However, its good to know you're happy with your phantom. After all you can get it repaired anywhere without being shafted at the shoddy repair shops, no hassles with registration, and you avoid the "exhorbitant" gasoline costs. Well done !

Also, its very astute of you to realise how image conscious I am "pal". Actually I'll have you know I always make sure my tassles are properly oiled and combed and my belt buckle is suitably polished before myself and my tilac embark on a Pattaya sunset cruise. I trust you do the same :D

Best Regards,

INTJ

"No need for any big bike in Thailand"

I'm sure the folks at over at GT-Rider might disagree with you there :o

Don't matter what anybody at GT-Rider thinks. Nobody needs a big bike in Thailand, though many may WANT one--for various reasons, most of which don't stand up to much logical scrutiny.

Only goes to further emphasise the gap in mindset between people who ride big bikes, those who don't, and those who pretend they do.

No, it merely emphasizes the gap in the mindset between one who had for years owned a big bike in Thailand and finally wised up and those who still haven't yet realized that whatever they're getting from that bike, or think they are, isn't nearly worth the hassle and expense of owning it. It may also underscore a certain snob factor among the owners of big bikes, however. :D

If I ever move back to the States, I'll certainly buy a big bike again for riding there. Sometimes I surf to the Cycle Trader site, drool over those incredible bikes, and sigh. But here, as I said earlier, I wouldn't have a big bike again if you GAVE it to me. Nor am I alone in that view, as you'll see if you read much in this forum.

It's just so much more comfortable to live in the real world :D. Doing so leaves you freer to go with the flow, better to enjoy the advantages of Thailand--what it does well rather than what it does so poorly (like importing, registering, and repairing big bikes, among countless other things). For a farang, a major part of learning to live happily and comfortably in Thailand is learning how to avoid, to the maximum extent possible, hassling around with the Thais--over anything.

Keep that buckle shiny!

Edited by JSixpack

I've reallly been trying to talk myself out of continuing to drive the same ole same ole bike I've had for nearly two years now. I drove a Phantom one night and I have to say I liked it. The one I drove belonged to Leo who owns the Leo Bar at Naklua Road and Soi 18 in Naklua. His Thai girlfriend who helps him manage the bar knew I wanted to give it a test spin so one night she started to egg me on. Well, at night, things seemed to move along pretty fast for me on that little 200 cc machine, which I wasn't used to and I felt it was pretty cool even if it is a wanna bee Harley. But what the hel_l, it looks good and it felt good.

Then day before yesterday my girlfriend and I did some errands on my Nouvo. I weigh around 76 kilos and she weighs just 43 and it's pretty snappy with both of us on it. We drove to Big C and Carre Four and an office supply store and to Index looking for a small filing cabinet, buying a few things along the way all of which fit easily underneath the seat in the storage area. Along Sukamvit Road we had a lot of power we didn't use. But while we were eating at the Spaghetti Factory I looked at several rental bikes because my nephew is visiting me on Christmas and he's about my size. I figured we could drive to Nong Nooch Gardens and then to Sattahip and the Nouvo was a bit light for both of us to be on it for very long so I looked at several bikes running from 400 cc's to 750. The 400 cc. Steed would do nicely. But for that matter I think a Phantom would do well also. But while sitting in that restaurant along Beach Road I watched the traffic driving by. Even 30 miles an hour here would be excessive I was feeling.

I wound up driving about half the time and my girlfriend drove the other half of the time and eventually I got two plastic boxes for my filing folders at Index. I carried them while my girlfriend drove back to the condo. We had driven two up on 2nd road, 3rd road, Sukamvit and Beach Road and not once were we running the Nouvo anymore than half capacity. We also passed a Honda CBR 150 that had this platform sidecar arrangement attached to it. It was a little restaurant on wheels. Not bad for a little one cylinder engine.

I'll probably end up renting a Phantom or Steed for a couple of days simply because either one will carry the weight of my nephew and me better than my Nouvo. After that we will make do with walking, the baht buses, and the Nouvo for short hops. All considered, for me that Nouvo is hard to beat. The 135 cc. Spark looked intriguing and has more horsepower than the Nouvo but it lacks that critical under the seat storage the Nouvo has so one is likely to put a basket over its front wheel. Get a real motorbike and you are probably going to put saddlebags on it or a rear storage tank over the back wheel. The best handling sports cars have a perfect 50-50 weight distribution front and rear so when you go putting a basket on the front end of any bike the handling is going to be adversely affected. So really, for getting round in this place for someone my size it's hard to really imagine something better than a Nouvo (or perhaps an Airblade) although for the next month while my nephew is here something like a Phantom or something even larger might handle our combined weight better.

As for something like a CBR 150, it's a cool looking little bike and I would think it can be tremendous fun driving it around. and it might be just the ticket for driiving upcountry.

But I'm sixty now and I'm six foot tall. Both my girlfriend and a couple of my pals think I'd look a little silly and oversized riding one. And while sitting on one I do have to lean over a bit so I know that for driving in town it's not going to be as comfortable as the upright riding position of my Nouvo. And its sportiness even at just 150 cc's is going to be a bit overkill for most Pattaya riding conditions.

For the next month I might be wishing I owned a Phantom. I read that they get more than sixty miles to the gallon and they have a big fuel tank so there's going to be less stopping for fuel than driving these motorbikes that hold between 1 gallon and 1.2 gallons of fuel or so. But they are wider and therefore harder to park and they will be more difficult to get through the narrowest gaps in traffic compared to the slim lightweight scooters. But I do like that centralized storage on a Nouvo where most of the stuff you buy is going to sit right under your ass and the rest of it will fit on that little hook right in front of you having from plastic bags. This makes for perfect weight distribution and no need for after market plastic storage tanks that clutter up the lines of a bike and might have problems with their latches. Not to mention their costing extra. My last car in the U.S. was a Mazda Miata. Mazda prided itself in making sports cars with that perfect 50-50 weight distribution front and rear....not 49-51 % but 50-50. So one might get used to having a basket hanging over one's front tire but it's not going to be the best solution.

dam_n.....I still haven't been able to talk myself out of my Nouvo and I'm sure as hel_l trying.

I had almost forgotten about rental bikes. Outside of Pattaya and Phuket, there are very few big bike rentals. When I was a tourist in Chiang Mai, I rented a little Honda (maybe 175, almost trail bike). Later, several Suzuki GS400E sportbikes. None of them were in top condition, but at least the GS400E rode like the GS500E I had just sold in Texas :o Even the 400 twin is a bit more than I needed, but in no way is a CBR150E "overkill" in Thai traffic, urban or rural.

Thailand is ready for a 250 sportbike like the Honda CBX250.

The roads aren't bad at all in thailand.I've been all over thailand on the bike in the past years and in that case it is just fine to have a big bike.Imagine you drive pattaya-phuket on a phantom. :o I agree bkk and pattaya are horrible city's for a big bike,and I don't use the bike in there, but thailand is bigger then that.

The roads aren't bad at all in thailand.I've been all over thailand on the bike in the past years and in that case it is just fine to have a big bike.Imagine you drive pattaya-phuket on a phantom. :o I agree bkk and pattaya are horrible city's for a big bike,and I don't use the bike in there, but thailand is bigger then that.

Compared to roads in, say, the Phillippines, Thai roads aren't that bad, very true. But even if we aren't talking about the sheer number of potholes, you have to consider the dogs and kids running out in front of you; the unexpected and poorly marked roadwork obstructions, the huge rock in the middle of your lane that nobody cares about, the sudden patch of dirt/loose gravel just around the corner you couldn't see (and should NOT have been there), the junk constantly falling off overladen pickups, the pieces of truck tires, the unmarked slippery steel plating (covering holes) that you couldn't see one evening in the rain, the unmarked speed bumps . . . etc. The problem w/ a big bike is that when it falls on you as a result of a conflict between it and one of the aforementioned, it hurts you a lot worse than does a small bike. Trust me; I know.

I might mention that it's easy to get front and rear standard fitted safety bars on a Phantom, for what they're worth, than on a big bike. If you want them on a big bike, they will not be standard: the shop will just design them by eyeball, fabricate and then weld them to your bike frame in typical Thai fashion.

CBR150E "overkill" in Thai traffic, urban or rural.

Thailand is ready for a 250 sportbike like the Honda CBX250.

Oh, don't get me wrong. If the right 250 came out I'd probably get one anyway. And yes, speeding down 2nd Road for all it's worth is overkill (I'd probably wind up overkilled and roadkill all in one) on either the 250 or the 150. Yes, I'd want the 250 if it had the right style and a good upright riding position. But would I need it? No. But if I lived in the U.S. again, I'd be looking at 650's. I haven't approached my Nouvo's limitations in Pattaya, but back in the U.S. I took my BMW up to 211 km on a two land bumpy until that overpass loomed up in front of me and I chickened out and backed off the throttle. I feel comfortable riding a bike here in Pattaya but part of me is scared shitless and for very good reasons.

Compared to roads in, say, the Phillippines, Thai roads aren't that bad, very true. But even if we aren't talking about the sheer number of potholes, you have to consider the dogs and kids running out in front of you; the unexpected and poorly marked roadwork obstructions, the huge rock in the middle of your lane that nobody cares about, the sudden patch of dirt/loose gravel just around the corner you couldn't see (and should NOT have been there), the junk constantly falling off overladen pickups, the pieces of truck tires, the unmarked slippery steel plating (covering holes) that you couldn't see one evening in the rain, the unmarked speed bumps . . . etc. The problem w/ a big bike is that when it falls on you as a result of a conflict between it and one of the aforementioned, it hurts you a lot worse than does a small bike. Trust me; I know.

I might mention that it's easy to get front and rear standard fitted safety bars on a Phantom, for what they're worth, than on a big bike. If you want them on a big bike, they will not be standard: the shop will just design them by eyeball, fabricate and then weld them to your bike frame in typical Thai fashion.

I am not so sure if you know.

First of all golden rule is don't drive at night.I know the thai's do but the roads have to poor lighting.Also the roads are no race track.If you drive at a considerable speed you will have no problem to overcome the obstacles on your way.Make sure your exhaust is a bit louder then the standard fitted so they can here you come.

And regarding the safety bars,why do you think there are no standard bars for a big bike.I don't have them mounted but I can have 3 different models for my bike straight from the dealer.

And after all if you think this way then stay in your armchair because if you go out something can happen.

The problem w/ a big bike is that when it falls on you as a result of a conflict between it and one of the aforementioned, it hurts you a lot worse than does a small bike. Trust me; I know.

[/color]

I dearly love this forum!

basjke, it's just SO easy to test this for yourself, and I want you to do it ASAP so that you will know too.

OK, sit on a Phantom or a CBR150; raise the kickstand; keep your feet firmly on the footrests; lean left or right and let the bike fall on you.

Next, do the same on a big bike. I might suggest a Yammy 1100 or any Harley.

Tell us which hurt you the most. Now imagine same when you and bike are going, say, 100.

:o

Now, when we talk about big bikes, we're mostly talking older used bikes, the most common sort of big bike in Thailand for which there are few if any genuine new parts. If you've got the dosh for a new imported big bike from a legit dealer who can support said bike (at about a 100% markup from prices you'd pay in the West--import taxes etc.), then, yes, new spare parts and accessories will be available from that dealer. But since you don't need a big bike anyway, paying such prices ain't really worth it.

If you got a bike, you're gonna ride at night sometimes. In fact, you're gonna ride after having quaffed a few beers too. Just the way it works, unfortunately.

I'll have to address that most interesting assertion, "If you drive at a considerable speed you will have no problem to overcome the obstacles on your way," a bit later. But do see

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142575

for some suggestive examples of how considerable speed helped obstacles bust a few heads rather than be overcome. Amazing!

Remember, "There are two kinds of motorcycle riders: those who have gone down and those who will." Be prepared.

My general point is that if one is going to take risks, know what they are. The armchair has a risk too: heart attack from inactivity.

Edited by JSixpack

The problem w/ a big bike is that when it falls on you as a result of a conflict between it and one of the aforementioned, it hurts you a lot worse than does a small bike. Trust me; I know.

[/color]

basjke, it's just SO easy to test this for yourself, and I want you to do it ASAP so that you will know too.

OK, sit on a Phantom or a CBR150; raise the kickstand; keep your feet firmly on the footrests; lean left or right and let the bike fall on you.

Tell us which hurt you the most. Now imagine same when you and bike are going, say, 100.

Now, when we talk about big bikes, we're mostly talking older used bikes, the most common sort of big bike in Thailand for which there are few if any genuine new parts. If you've got the dosh for a new imported big bike from a legit dealer who can support said bike (at about a 100% markup from prices you'd pay in the West--import taxes etc.), then, yes, new spare parts and accessories will be available from that dealer. But since you don't need a big bike anyway, paying such prices ain't really worth it.

If you got a bike, you're gonna ride at night sometimes. In fact, you're gonna ride after having quaffed a few beers too. Just the way it works, unfortunately.

I'll have to address that most interesting assertion, "If you drive at a considerable speed you will have no problem to overcome the obstacles on your way," a bit later. But do see

for some suggestive examples of how considerable speed helped obstacles bust a few heads rather than be overcome. Amazing!

My point is that if one is going to take risks, know what they are. The armchair has a risk too: heart attack from inactivity.

)Ofcourse a 350 kg bike hirts more then a 100 kg bike when it falls on you but have you ever watched the races on tv?You will see a lot of accidents but you rarely see one where the driver gets his bike on top of him.

If I gonna ride I don't ride at night and for sure NEVER have a few beers on the bike.If you can't control that you beter sell the bike straight away.The guy in the topic link you inserted had some beers fore sure and wanted to show off.That is the most wrong thing on a big bike.If you can't handle it don't ride it and for sure don't try to be a hero.

As for the import of big bikes,they don't cost much more as in europe.I had a roadstar previous,imported new from japan and just ordered a new roadliner and the prices include proper registration are same as in europe.The dealers know how to do it.Original spare parts as much as you want but sometimes you will have to wait a week or so.In europe the dealers also don't have every part stocked.

[/color]

Remember, "There are two kinds of motorcycle riders: those who have gone down and those who will." Be prepared.

My general point is that if one is going to take risks, know what they are. The armchair has a risk too: heart attack from inactivity.

Hi ,

Interesting tread this one is.

About the fall of a big and a small bike on you....accidents hardly ever happen in a way that you just fall over and onto yourself .... when completely drunk maybe ( but than you shouldn't be on a Bike regardless which size of bike ...).

It is even less likely that a Bike is falling on you at 100 km/h ....

It is possible to get spare part that are new for Big Bikes....sure they cost more money than for CBR , Phantom... but they can be bought and if you own a "rare" Big bike than it is still no real issue to get parts here. And it isn't that much of a high price really .... if you can't afford a big bike don't buy one. But it isn't too bad.

I want to reply to this comment " If you got a bike, you're gonna ride at night sometimes. In fact, you're gonna ride after having quaffed a few beers too. Just the way it works, unfortunately. " There is no need to ride a bike at night ...thats what cars are for! And if you are having had some beersand than drive a Phantom, CBR, Harley , Hayabusa... it doesn't really matter because if you fall over a dog or a portole it is just as bad...but it is also irresponsible and stupid too, in case you drink and drive , i think you should not get on or in any Vehicle with you being the driver ...except a taxi that drives you home ( or Wife ) . It is not the way it works , unfortunately ...it is the way you choose to take risks, unfortunately. Pointing at a risk of size from Bike is nothing compared if you driving around with a few beers taken.

In other words the risk that you take for drinking and having an accident because of it on a Phantom, cbr...is much larger than the fall-over-test that you suggested where you let yourself fall and see what pains more the big or the small bike....even at 100 km/h

rcm

[/color]

Motorcycle riders= Riders of Honda wave, Honda Phantom, CBR 150 , Harley , Bmw , .... it doesn't matter what Motorcycle you ride you may fall with a larger or a smaller one...being prepared and on alert is necessary when driving any Bike....but are you prepared after a few beers ??? or is perhaps the one who does not drink on a 750 cc Bike better prepared.... i think very much so.

J6,

Sounds like you bought an old crock of a "big bike" (probably a Honda Rebel 250 or something similar) with a dodgy book, been ripped off by the local Somsak bike repair shop, then fallen off it while drunk.

Best to stick with your phantom, with its light weight, drivers airbag and autopilot function it will surely get you home safely after a night on the sauce.

Cheers

Part of the proverb "different strokes for different folks" (a great old bike ad, by the way) is that we use bikes for different purposes. As I did many years past, I use my little sportbike nearly full time, full stop, even though the driveway includes a pickup truck I only use in the pouring rain when I'm lazy, plus a Phantom 200 I never drive. If 'riding bikes' for you means a lazy Sunday drive, that's another story. If you're a fully certified mechanic and parts wizard, you can own anything and keep it running. Isn't that a line from Steppenwolf from the days it was hard to keep a Harley running, "keep your motor running, get out on the highway...."? :o

OK time for a roundup:

basjke earlier wrote:

> Ofcourse a 350 kg bike hirts more then a 100 kg bike when it falls

> on you

But you didn't trust me before on this point, so I think it's

obligatory now for you to prove it to yourself by physical demonstration.

> but have you ever watched the races on tv?You will see a lot

> of accidents but you rarely see one where the driver gets his bike

> on top of him.

We aren't racers on TV, though evidence suggests a lot of farangs in

Thailand believe that they are. How about Evel Knievel? If a food cart

vendor suddenly pushes out in front of you, just jump over it!

> If I gonna ride I don't ride at night and for sure

> NEVER have a few beers on the bike.

Up to you pal. Come to Pattaya and you'll see countless people riding at

night, farang and Thai. True, we could rent a rip-off songthaew or pay

a motorcyle taxi, but, realistically, it ain't gonna happen.

It's about like advocating abstention as a method of birth control. It

would work, of course. But. :o

> If you can't control that you

> beter sell the bike straight away.

Again, just come to PTY and observe at all these thousands of beer

bars. Note how many farang men are riding bar girls on the backs of

their bikes. Now, they didn't just meet these girls by drinking Coke

at their bars.

The best thing for you to do is come to one of the Jesters MC parties

at the TQ go-go. Note the dozen or so Harleys lined up outside. Go

inside and see how many Jesters are drinking coffee, tea, or soda.

Count how many call a taxi afterwards and leave their Harleys.

You might actually join the Jesters and call for abstention from drinking at

the parties etc. and see what reaction you get. Can I be there?

> The guy in the topic link you

> inserted had some beers fore sure and wanted to show off.That is the

> most wrong thing on a big bike.If you can't handle it don't ride it

> and for sure don't try to be a hero.

Absolutely! Defensive driving is key.

> As for the import of big

> bikes,they don't cost much more as in europe.

It ain't been my experience. I looked at NEW imported big bike at a shop

not long ago and found it to be about twice the price as in the

States.

Threads on this forum about importing a bike always bring out the

experienced who warn strongly against it as the costs will be absurdly

high.

rcm earlier wrote:

>

> About the fall of a big and a small bike on you....accidents hardly

> ever happen in a way that you just fall over and onto yourself ....

I do hope not, but in fact I've known a couple of riders who forgot to

put down their kickstands and promptly fell over in exactly the way I

described! Look around on the 'net and you'll find similar stories. I

personally know of another case in which a car t-boned a bike

(ironically, ridden by the owner of a bike shop) and the bike did fall

on him.

My example was purely for demonstrative purposes for a poster who

questioned the obvious fact.

> It is even less likely that a

> Bike is falling on you at 100 km/h ....

In itself, the likelihood isn't sufficient reason not to buy a big

bike in Thailand (big old bike in particular), but merely one of

several reasons. More likely, a bike would fall on you at a lower

speed when it slides out from under you owing to an attempt at

collision avoidance or hitting a patch of oil on the road. At a higher

speed, you might be thrown clear. Unfortunately accidents happen in a

split second and almost no one, esp. we amateur riders, has time to

think of the best way out. There's just no guarantee about what's

gonna happen, now is there?

Hence lots of dead riders. I haven't seen a dead farang rider, but

I've seen a number of Thais . . . .

> It is possible to get spare

> part that are new for Big Bikes....sure they cost more money than

> for CBR , Phantom... but they can be bought and if you own a "rare"

> Big bike than it is still no real issue to get parts here.

In time a part will surface, but it tends to be a fake part or a used

part. And it can take months. You can read over past threads here for

tales of woe. I've been reading this forum for years. Having also had

personal experience over years with different bikes at numerous

chopper shops, having had friends with similar experiences, it ain't

worth it for me any longer; but good luck to those who wish to try that

route.

> There is no need

> to ride a bike at night ...thats what cars are for!

I agree with you, but many riders don't own cars . . . it kinda just doesn't

happen, like abstention doesn't work as a birth control method,

practically speaking.

INTJ earlier wrote:

> J6,

>

> Sounds like you bought an old crock of a "big bike" (probably a

> Honda Rebel 250 or something similar) with a dodgy book, been ripped

> off by the local Somsak bike repair shop, then fallen off it while

> drunk.

Yawn. I thought you'd already ridden off into the sunset with your

*teerak, but here you've come up w/ another little fantasy with which

to amuse yourself, so I guess *teerak wasn't quite in the mood yet.

A visit to your local Thai pharmacy may be in order--no prescription

needed.

Well, now, seems your original post about bike registration has been

answered, and here I've tried to help you by warning you off those big

old "bargain" bikes at www.mocy.com.

Of course you'll find someone who bought a bike from a Thai and it

turned out to be a good, well-maintained bike. It's just that such

bikes are rather scarce, as numerous posts in this forum will attest.

Now, some people smoke and drink excessively all their lives but still live

to be in their 90s, true. At 96 George Burns joked that all his doctors had

already died. So-called "invulnerable" kids become academic superstars

despite their broken homes and dysfunctional families.

It's a matter of probabilities, is it not. Up to you, pal.

At this point, if you're still just awfully worried about some

uppity Phantom owner attempting to usurp your proprietary Big Bike

Posing Rights, I promise not to do it, not me. No tassles, no shiny

buckle--honest. You can relax and eat now. But I am gonna continue to

wear my leftover indestructible Frye harness motorcycle boots (same as

we wore and loved back in the 60s when most of us didn't actually have

bikes) or even, despite all the rolled eyeballs, my Joe Rocket Sonics.

Yep, good foot protection is just mandatory even when riding smaller bikes.

(The Joe Rockets are waterproof, too, love 'em in the rainy season.)

See those idiot farangs wearing flip flops on their rented Steeds?

Shall we laugh or sigh?

JSixpack, I hasten to add that you may have forgotten what Harley riders have often advised me. When you know you're going to have a wreck and you're atop your bike, throw it down. Yes, really, just pick up that 800-pound Electra-Glide a nanosecond before the crash, and hurl it to the side of the road, and then fling yourself onto the hood ornament of the onrushing vehicle!

I forgot to do that in November. A stupid tuk-tuk driver turned right across my lane in the middle of town, and I neglected to throw my CBR150 in his face. Instead, I stopped, and the teensy little 150 crushed my leg against the hard pavement. You know, that thing Newton wrote about: gravity. The wound still aggravates that nasty cut I got on Doi Inthanon when I neglected to throw that rental bike into the road barrier. Oh dear, I'm admitting that I had a wreck in Thailand, two in fact. There were ten more near-wrecks that I avoided because the CBR handles so well, stops so well, even accelerates faster than a Dream 100, and squeezes through spaces half the width of some Harleys.

But I'll admit: if I had a spare million dollars to waste in Thailand, I'd go buy me the latest Buell, and an SV1000 Suzuki twin, and a new car.

"but here you've come up w/ another little fantasy with which

to amuse yourself"

All the amusement I need at this moment is right here in this very thread courtesy of your good self.

"The best thing for you to do is come to one of the Jesters MC parties

at the TQ go-go. Note the dozen or so Harleys lined up outside"

I had a look, just as you recommended. There were a dozen or so Harleys and a phantom with Harley stickers. Do you know who's that was ?

I do however always ensure I am wearing my SIDI thigh high triple core plasma boots (you may remember them from Flash Gordon) even if just popping to 7-11 on the Wave for a bottle of milk. Better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers

Edited by INTJ