Food Wishes, Dreams, And Ideas For Future Pattaya Food Offerings

Jingthing

It's interesting to see this list of peoples choices for mostly cheaper, international ethnic food from Washington D.C. and compare to what is available in Pattaya, what is not, and what might possibly be.

Some of these foods (or close enough) are already available in Pattaya at some or many places. Perhaps most are not.

What strikes you as something that could work in Pattaya?

Oddly, the first one interested me -- Amsterdam falafel.

Have you been to Amsterdam and seen the falafel places with the huge choice of TOPPINGS? Kind of like a salsa bar (a la Mexicana) for that Middle eastern classic.

While there is of course falafel available at some places in Pattaya, mostly poorly at stands and cheap divey restaurants, there is nothing like the trendy, hopping experience I recall from Amsterdam. I mean in Holland which I'm sure is what inspired this Washington D.C. place. Yes it would be more expensive than street food, but for high quality freshly cooked falafel and an array of quality toppings, it seems to me it could work here.

http://www.washingto...orkNews#photo=1

Any of these foods on the gallery connect with Pattaya food for you?

BTW, for really excellent duck confit, and not expensive (as pictured in pic 11 of the link) try FROGGY's in North Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

I guess the Sunrise Tacos posting withdrawal symptoms are kicking in!

This article excites me at first, but soon it gets depressing to see everything that we're missing out on. I hope JT gets inspired to do something like this for Pattaya.

I'll have to try the duck confit place if the dish is not too expensive, I love duck. So far I've found 2 places that do great duck:

1. Flying Vegetable Restaurant (Pattaya Klang - north side, mid-way between 3rd road and Big C Extra)... they have my favorite 'Thai' dish of any restaurant, Stir-fried roast duck with black pepper sauce, 80 Baht I think, the roast duck slices are fried before being added to the veggies & sauce, resulting in super crispy duck and skin (fat rendered off)

2. Noodle soup vendor in Jontiem 2nd road food market (300m past Hanuman)... Great duck noodle soup with the most veggies I've ever seen put in any soup by a street vendor

All I need now is a place that serves great, and in-expensive Lamb

Edited by jehricaholic

This article excites me at first, but soon it gets depressing to see everything that we're missing out on. I hope JT gets inspired to do something like this for Pattaya.

I'll have to try the duck confit place if the dish is not too expensive, I love duck. So far I've found 2 places that do great duck:

1. Flying Vegetable Restaurant (Pattaya Klang - north side, mid-way between 3rd road and Big C Extra)... they have my favorite 'Thai' dish of any restaurant, Stir-fried roast duck with black pepper sauce, 80 Baht I think, the roast duck slices are fried before being added to the veggies & sauce, resulting in super crispy duck and skin (fat rendered off)

2. Noodle soup vendor in Jontiem 2nd road food market (300m past Hanuman)... Great duck noodle soup with the most veggies I've ever seen put in any soup by a street vendor

Never a bad time to talk food in my book.

You can have (a small portion) of world class duck confit as the main course in a three course set for a mere 260 baht. No, it's not Thai street food prices, but duck confit is a special dish:

http://www.froggyfre...ro.com/menu.php

Directions (off the beaten path but worth the effort!)

http://www.froggyfrenchbistro.com/directions.php

Could you give more detailed directions to the Jomtien street duck place. Do you mean Rompho market? Not clear where this place is to me based on what you wrote.

I agree its a little depressing seeing some of the things we're missing here. We've also got some great things here that are special. It would be kind of cool if we has a professional food press here and could come up with a huge list of MUST EATS here, and I'm sure that is possible theoretically.

Edited by Jingthing

How about cleaner streets and buildings that are painted???

As for food, well aren't there enough restaurants?

Hope 2012 is your best yet.

Regards

NormanW

Actually, no, there are most definitely NOT enough GOOD restaurants.

The vast majority of restaurants in town are mediocre, or worse, often poor value no matter the level, and so many TOURIST TRAPS.

On this forum and other places, we can help each other identify the more rare GEMS.

Edited by Jingthing

Never a bad time to talk food in my book.

You can have (a small portion) of world class duck confit as the main course in a three course set for a mere 260 baht. No, it's not Thai street food prices, but duck confit is a special dish:

http://www.froggyfre...ro.com/menu.php

Directions (off the beaten path but worth the effort!)

http://www.froggyfre.../directions.php

Could you give more detailed directions to the Jomtien street duck place. Do you mean Rompho market? Not clear where this place is to me based on what you wrote.

I agree its a little depressing seeing some of the things we're missing here. We've also got some great things here that are special. It would be kind of cool if we has a professional food press here and could come up with a huge list of MUST EATS here, and I'm sure that is possible theoretically.

The duck soup stall is probably in the market that you named (east side of the NEW 2nd road Jontiem, in a very busy market area), a 30 sec bike ride past the Hanuman statue. The stall is a typical mobile noodle soup shop and is located in the outer parking lot area close to the main road (not in the covered part of the market away from the road)

The bistro looks great, and no I'm not limited to street/cheap food. Where I go is limited by where my partner likes to eat. He's a very picky eater for Farang food but if he finds a place he likes (usually only eats steak), he'll stick to that place and not want to try anywhere else. Hopefully this bistro does a decent steak, if so then I'll be able to explore the menu as hubbie enjoys his steak fetish. it's only a 5 min drive from our home, can't beat that!

Edited by jehricaholic

There are quite a few culinary delights I miss in this town. For starters, lean and healthy Mediterranan cuisine with cooking in olive oil. Especially as far as sea food is concerned I never cease to be perturbed that with the abundance of raw supplies here, very few places manage to cook and present it in a palatable manner. Perhaps some of the upmarket places do but then it comes at obscene prices!

Some of the best kitchens for seafood are Greek and in particular Portugese. Now I have never come across a Portugese restaurant in this town. One speciality of Portugese cooking is with the use of Peri Peri. This stems from the Portugese Colonial Times in Africa and is specially designed for seafood and chicken. Simply delicious and though spicey, its not smelly!!! I am on my last supply of Peri Peri powder I brought from Africa and I wonder if enybody has seen it for sale around here?

Also, if anybody know of a Portugese restaurant or perhaps a true Mediterranian Greek place ( not the hut in Soi Buakhao please!) I would be most grateful.

There are quite a few culinary delights I miss in this town. For starters, lean and healthy Mediterranan cuisine with cooking in olive oil. Especially as far as sea food is concerned I never cease to be perturbed that with the abundance of raw supplies here, very few places manage to cook and present it in a palatable manner. Perhaps some of the upmarket places do but then it comes at obscene prices!

Some of the best kitchens for seafood are Greek and in particular Portugese. Now I have never come across a Portugese restaurant in this town. One speciality of Portugese cooking is with the use of Peri Peri. This stems from the Portugese Colonial Times in Africa and is specially designed for seafood and chicken. Simply delicious and though spicey, its not smelly!!! I am on my last supply of Peri Peri powder I brought from Africa and I wonder if enybody has seen it for sale around here?

Also, if anybody know of a Portugese restaurant or perhaps a true Mediterranian Greek place ( not the hut in Soi Buakhao please!) I would be most grateful.

All this fresh squid and they cannot make a decent Calamari here in Pattayaangry.png

There was that Macao place (Amigo) with of course some Portuguese dishes way out Jomtien road in that far end restaurant row. I ate there once and had a quite decent bacalao based dish (which is of course not fresh seafood but dried cod). Does anyone know if it is still in business? They were also doing a lot of fresh seafood but Portuguese style not so much.

Yeah, just getting something simple cooked well like Spanish fried squid or a good squid garlic olive oil tapa, not as easy get in these parts. I'd also love some Greek style octupus!

Edited by Jingthing

Had the Festive special at Mantra last night.

4 courses of supreme delights.

1st Potato and leek soup with caviar and salmon

2nd Smoked duck with pate

3rd Turkey with seasonal vegetables and gratin potato

4th English Christmas pudding with brandy sauce followed by Coffee/tea and minced pies.

2k baht.

4th English Christmas pudding with brandy sauce followed by Coffee/tea and minced pies.

2k baht.

That's nice but I think it was pretty clear the topic is about more down to earth repasts, price-wise. Happily people don't eat Xmas feasts everyday.

Another thing I miss here, believe it or not, is very good Thai Food! Lets face it, with the exception of upmarket places we are bound to be subject to Isaan cuising most of the time we venture out into Thai cuisine. I remember Phuket more poisitively in this regard. One used to get in most restaurants a true mixed Thai food dish with several small items in seperate compartments on one plate with rice in the middle. Has anyone seen this in Pattaya?

Oh, and the best Thai restaurant I have ever eaten is in Johannesburg of all places! Its name is Wang Thai and when I used to eat there during my many years of stay, I couldn't wait to get to Thailand for the real McCoy! What a dissapointment. My favorite dish used to be "Angry Duck", very spicey and tasty. I tried here to ask for "Ped Moho" only to be met with blank stares or amused giggles!

I can relate to your Thai food comment. There is excellent Thai food to be had in the west. The best Thai beef salad, gai yang, pork shoulder salad, green curry even, chile squid, and custard desserts I ever had were NOT in Thailand. Also this being a tourist town and a magnet for Thai mercenaries, it isn't gourmet central. However, there is decent Thai food to be had here, for sure. One big disappointment for me was the closing of what I think was the only dedicated Northern Lanna restaurant in town (on Third road). I think if they had been in a more touristy location, they wouldn't have closed.

BTW, I would be remiss not to mention that item number 13 in the OP picture show link CAN be found in Pattaya at Deli-zza, Soi 8, Jomtien. Aren't we sometimes lucky?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/40-dishes-every-washingtonian-must-try/2011/12/23/gIQA9KRbOP_gallery.html?fb_ref=NetworkNews#photo=13

Edited by Jingthing

2k baht.

Had the same dinner, plus about a half dozen additional dishes, and several additional desserts, for Christmas dinner at a friend's for free. Having friends that can cook is great.

What I miss in Pattaya are some good, medium priced Thai restaurants - think Cherry with a Thai menu. I know of lots of places where I can get decent Thai food for peanuts but I don't want to sit on rickety chairs breathing in diesel fumes every time the missus and I go out for dinner (which is basically every night). Vientiane used to be good but has steadily gone down hill after they moved from 2nd Road.

I see some of you have had better Thai food abroad. I must have been very unlucky because in all the Thai restaurants I have tried outside Thailand (several in the greater LA area, and a few in various European countries) the food has been so bland that the "tourist-Thai food" they serve in the restaurants along Patong Beach seems positively authentic in comparison.

Maybe a stretch for this thread, but have you burger lovers noticed the menu at the Lone Star Grill on Soi Lengkee? They've got an assortment of 200 gram burgers made with Australian beef. Sounds promising. Sadly, what I was really looking for in a Texas type place they didn't have! BBQ Beef Brisket.

Now I am thinking that someday, not today (feeling too drained from the kerfuffle over the Thaivisa poster of the year), I should organize a Pattaya MUST EAT list. The ponzone at New York Pizza House would definitely be on the list.

post-37101-0-19597200-1325410715_thumb.j

post-37101-0-39978300-1325410783_thumb.g

Edited by Jingthing

Now I am thinking that someday, not today (feeling too drained from the kerfuffle over the Thaivisa poster of the year), I should organize a Pattaya MUST EAT list. The ponzone at New York Pizza House would definitely be on the list.

post-37101-0-19597200-1325410715_thumb.j

post-37101-0-39978300-1325410783_thumb.g

I'm glad my previous post influenced you! Great Idea!

Yeah but piri piri is a specific African chile thing adopted by Portugal so not all that surprising they don't specifically have piri piri.

What is much more surprising/disappointing to me is the lack of any or good examples of Thailand's neighbor's food in town, Burmese, Malay, and Vietnamese. (Lao, we're covered I guess with Isaan food.)