Ubon - Digging Water Well.

SuperGers

I've got a choice to make for the water supply to my house in Ubon.

Either i sign up for "government water" with a charge for them to run pipes from the main road ( approx 200m ) or i buy pumps and tanks and get someone to dig a well approx 35m deep to supply water for showers, toilets and taps ( non drinking ). The "village water" option is a non-starter as it's notoriously erratic and often off for 2/3 days at a time.

Anyone any experience of digging a well in Ubon ? i'm told the soil is very sandy down to about 25/30 m before you hit rock ?

The initial outlay for both options looks pretty similar at around THB 25000.

Anyone got any views or opinions on the best option ?

Remember with well water you don't know what water quality you will get and you must also get a government permit to put down a well. My advice is to go with the Town water with a large storage tank so you have a few days supply on hand.

I have had 2 wells drilled on my land over the past 6 years. The one we had done in 2009 behind the house/fence went down 45 metres and cost 8000 baht and 6500 baht for the pump. The price has certainly come down over the past few years.

We use both city water and ground water.

There are times during the day especially the morning when the city supply is low, so we sometimes switch the house water to ground water. We in Ubon (Pathume district) mun river is about 500 to 1000 meters from our property.

The clarity of the ground water is good, the only negativity is it is a little bit too sandy. I don't want to use too much ground water in the house because we have the hot water box, toilets and washing machine all hooked up to the house.

There are times when we sometimes lose our electricity and then must rely on the city water. Last time I checked, the small water pumps that must be primed go for around 2,000 baht and the fully automatic between 4,000 to 8,000 a water pump.

Thanks Guys.

As i understand it, if i go for the well option i actually need 2 pumps ? One to pump from the well to the holding tanks and one to pump from the tanks to the house, i think. Then , obviously there's the cost of the tanks themselves and the cost to have the well actually dug in the first place.

Not much change from THB 25000 for that little lot i fear !

Looking long term, the only additional costs for well water are the electricity the pumps actually use while pumping and minimal maintenance costs ( wear and tear etc ).

Government water obviously involves a monthly metered charge.

I went with the village water supply for the first 3 years.

I thought putting in a 2500L holding tank would do me through the erratic supply from the village but still managed to run dry, especially during March and April when they would sometimes turn the village water supply on for 2 hours early in the morning every 3 days. Everyone opens the taps at the same time and everyone basically gets bugger all.

Put in my own well 3 years ago and it's the best money spent, Cost about 30,000 for well, submersible pump, concrete base and steel security shack and piping to the house. Pump from outside fills the house tank and the house pump presurizes the house system. Also have a sprinkler system for the lawn and about 6 water taps scattered around the garden and shop run by the outside pump.

Only way to go

Thanks Guys.

As i understand it, if i go for the well option i actually need 2 pumps ? One to pump from the well to the holding tanks and one to pump from the tanks to the house, i think. Then , obviously there's the cost of the tanks themselves and the cost to have the well actually dug in the first place.

Not much change from THB 25000 for that little lot i fear !

Looking long term, the only additional costs for well water are the electricity the pumps actually use while pumping and minimal maintenance costs ( wear and tear etc ).

Government water obviously involves a monthly metered charge.

Take a more close look to all pumps currently available. I prefer to use DAB pumps.

For example search the internet for the DAB JET EURO Active Driver Irrigation Pump,

DAB JETINOX Self Priming Pump, DAB JET Self Priming Pump and the DAB Active JI Pump Range.

Please, where can I buy modern DAB pumps in Isaan ?