Low Carb Living

boppia

The best low-carb diet is the raw-food type :

www.primaldiet.com

Indigenous peoples used to eat like this, in common with omnivorous and carnivorous animals, until the advent of civilisation and cooked foods which created all sorts of health problems which the drug industry now attempts, unsuccessfully, to solve.

I eat raw Thai eggs (organic), fish and beef, and am still alive to tell the tale!

Low carb eating/living?

What do you think of it?

It all depends I suppose. If you're an incredibly active person and likes to jog/cycle alot a low carb diet isn't a good idea. I try not to eat many carbs myself as I do more weight training as opposed to cardio.

In general I think people should be a little more cautious of the amount of carbs they ingest, especially if fairly innactive as it will just become fat.

Since I stopped exercising everyday last Feb and changed to an office job - so sitting on my arse all day, I have now cut my carb intake down to once a day, usually with lunch when I eat a good serving of rice. Fortunately I have not gained any weight at all even though I am probably about 80% less active than before.

Carbs at night - bad idea if you want to keep the weight down. Stick to som tam

Low carb eating/living?

What do you think of it?

Atkins Diet is low carbs and they went bankrupt in the usa? The major problem with westerners ir mixing carbs and protine all the time!

Eating a lot of green vegtables and fruit and various meats is completely healthy!

Drinking Booze is the major weight enhancer! Beer is fat fat fat :o

Everything in moderation! :D

Since I stopped exercising everyday last Feb and changed to an office job - so sitting on my arse all day, I have now cut my carb intake down to once a day, usually with lunch when I eat a good serving of rice.  Fortunately I have not gained any weight at all even though I am probably about 80% less active than before. 

Carbs at night - bad idea if you want to keep the weight down.  Stick to som tam

som tam is great,, lots of enzimes and fibre!! :o

Low carb eating/living?

What do you think of it?

Atkins Diet is low carbs and they went bankrupt in the usa? The major problem with westerners ir mixing carbs and protine all the time!

Eating a lot of green vegtables and fruit and various meats is completely healthy!

Not sure what the story is behind the Atkins group but I do know that Dr Atkins is himself dead, and his diet has been criticized by cardiologists & heart groups. I tried it briefly, learned from it that it is indeed important to stay away from processed carbs but otherwsie thought it was a terrible diet and in my case not effective at weight loss either.

As another poster said, the real issue isn't low carb but " good" versus " bad" carbs...carbs are necessary part of the diet but the highly processed versions (white bread, polished white rice, pasta from white flour, white sugar etc) are unnatural and do indeed do all the bad things Atkins said they do (send blood sugar sky high then plummeting, setting up a vicious cycle).

The problem in Thailand is that if yiou eat out a lot, it is very hard to avoid processed carbs, although brown rice is starting to put in an appearance in more places.

Low carb eating/living?

What do you think of it?

Not sure what the story is behind the Atkins group but I do know that Dr Atkins is himself dead, and his diet has been criticized by cardiologists & heart groups. I tried it briefly, learned from it that it is indeed important to stay away from processed carbs but otherwsie thought it was a terrible diet and in my case not effective at weight loss either.

As another poster said, the real issue isn't low carb but " good" versus " bad" carbs...carbs are necessary part of the diet but the highly processed versions (white bread, polished white rice, pasta from white flour, white sugar etc) are unnatural and do indeed do all the bad things Atkins said they do (send blood sugar sky high then plummeting, setting up a vicious cycle).

The problem in Thailand is that if yiou eat out a lot, it is very hard to avoid processed carbs, although brown rice is starting to put in an appearance in more places.

Several years ago I lost a lot of weight while living in Thailand (after gaining it in Thailand) by sticking with good carbs over bad carbs and only eating proteins with the good carbs. I have kept most of the weight off. The website I was referred to is www.low-carbo-diet.com. There is a forum at this website and if you read this, you will get a good idea of what this way of eating is all about (it uses the glycaemic scale). However, like all diets/lifestyle changes, it is hard to stick to. Still, you learn the food combinations and timing of meals that cause weight gains making maintenance easier once you get to your desired level.