What Was Your Finest Hour

drum

31st December.

It was the day I achieved one year of sobriety, my last alcoholic drink having been on 31st December 2010.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Extraordinary achievement. Keep this up and you'll be able to achieve anything you set your mind too. Since I quit smoking I have continued to knock out habits that have had a detrimental effect on me and my life has improved tenfold with each one I do.

Back to the original point. My top moment of 2011 would be delivering my own daughter in an apartment in Phuket. We had left Bangkok due to flooding in our home area and my wife went into labour 2 days after arriving in Phuket and having found a decent "by the day" apartment. We had found that almost all Thai hospitals will not allow a birth to flow naturally so we opted for a home birth, which was due to happen in Bangkok with an experienced friend present. In the end we did it on our own with our friend guiding on the phone. As I type my 9 week old daughter is lying on the bed chatting with my wife and we are relishing our future :)

Top year indeed.

31st December.

It was the day I achieved one year of sobriety, my last alcoholic drink having been on 31st December 2010.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Extraordinary achievement. Keep this up and you'll be able to achieve anything you set your mind too. Since I quit smoking I have continued to knock out habits that have had a detrimental effect on me and my life has improved tenfold with each one I do.

Back to the original point. My top moment of 2011 would be delivering my own daughter in an apartment in Phuket. We had left Bangkok due to flooding in our home area and my wife went into labour 2 days after arriving in Phuket and having found a decent "by the day" apartment. We had found that almost all Thai hospitals will not allow a birth to flow naturally so we opted for a home birth, which was due to happen in Bangkok with an experienced friend present. In the end we did it on our own with our friend guiding on the phone. As I type my 9 week old daughter is lying on the bed chatting with my wife and we are relishing our future smile.png

Top year indeed.

congratulation to you both,how you kept your nerve through a birth,i think thats a day you will never forget

31st December.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Back to the original point. My top moment of 2011 would be delivering my own daughter in an apartment in Phuket. We had left Bangkok due to flooding in our home area and my wife went into labour 2 days after arriving in Phuket and having found a decent "by the day" apartment. We had found that almost all Thai hospitals will not allow a birth to flow naturally so we opted for a home birth, which was due to happen in Bangkok with an experienced friend present. In the end we did it on our own with our friend guiding on the phone. As I type my 9 week old daughter is lying on the bed chatting with my wife and we are relishing our future smile.png

Top year indeed.

Congratulations.

But, i hope you never attempt brain surgery on the same basis - DIY over the phones sounds a bit too scary.

31st December.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Top year indeed.

congratulation to you both,how you kept your nerve through a birth,i think thats a day you will never forget

Wow! Heavy stuff, not sure it was the wisest thing to do but still fortunately it all worked out for the 3 of you and good luck with that.. Unfortunately in answer to the OP I have nothing really notable to mention at this time, will have to give it some more thought, it was a pretty average and mundane year save for the flooding which also chased us out and ironically we had intended to head towards Phuket ourselves but never made it as we had too much to carry for an extended stay and the poor car was overloaded and required some suspension mods which happened after we had another option.. Nothing good about that for us though, very stressful and cost us a lot of money.

On further reflection though, we did manage to get out of it without the damage some others had (mostly due to planning and reaction), no one was hurt and we stayed together and all came out of it Ok so I guess there is that to consider and be thankful for..

Edit: Actually I am certain it wasn't the wisest thing to do..

Edited by WarpSpeed

31st December.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

A perfect example of self control - sincere congratulations!

Mine was slightly comparable in that I exercised supreme self control by somehow stopping myself from sinking most of a Thai man's teeth so far down his throat they'd have cut off his toe nails.

After 4 months very hard work on a (legitimate) business project here in early 2011, as the only farang exec with 3 Thai colleagues, it became clear that one (the youngest, constantly smiling, conniving, back-biting idiot) could not be trusted.

Up came a potential contract with a national Thai entity which may, or may not, have been beneficial. One Thai colleague and I tended to feel it was not beneficial. Thai No 3 sat on the fence.

By accident one day I found that Smiling Young Ratbag had signed it already with zero consultation.

When I put him on the spot and asked him why he had signed it alone without discussion, he grinned his usual juvenile grin and replied: "There was only space for one signature on the contract."

How I was able to turn on my heel and walk out of the company and the whole mess without putting him in hospital I shall never know. THE finest of my countless hours in Thailand!!

31st December.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

A perfect example of self control - sincere congratulations!

Mine was slightly comparable in that I exercised supreme self control by somehow stopping myself from sinking most of a Thai man's teeth so far down his throat they'd have cut off his toe nails.

After 4 months very hard work on a (legitimate) business project here in early 2011, as the only farang exec with 3 Thai colleagues, it became clear that one (the youngest, constantly smiling, conniving, back-biting idiot) could not be trusted.

Up came a potential contract with a national Thai entity which may, or may not, have been beneficial. One Thai colleague and I tended to feel it was not beneficial. Thai No 3 sat on the fence.

By accident one day I found that Smiling Young Ratbag had signed it already with zero consultation.

When I put him on the spot and asked him why he had signed it alone without discussion, he grinned his usual juvenile grin and replied: "There was only space for one signature on the contract."

How I was able to turn on my heel and walk out of the company and the whole mess without putting him in hospital I shall never know. THE finest of my countless hours in Thailand!!

I feel your pain and well done......that would drive any professional businessman bonkers.

31st December.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Fantastic, that is a memory worth having of 2011.........on a more mundane note for me I think watching my girlfriends reaction when she had her first trip to the ocean will live with me forever. I caught the perfect photo of her being lifted off her feet by a wave for the first time in her life. Superb.

Mobi:

Congratulations on your 1st year of sobriety, I've read your blog and you've certainly had an interesting life up till now.

Draftvader:

Congrats to you too, I was a wreck after driving through the rain for an hour to get to Udon Thani hospital where the professionals took over, I can't imagine delivering a baby myself. Glad everything worked out well for you

My best day this year was Aug 15, a safe delivery of my son who's now 4 1/2 months old and in perfect health.

Ken

It was at 8.00pm on Saturday, August 13 when my neighbour`s beautiful 25 year old daughter visited me at home, saying that she must have me now and can`t wait any longer because her passion is too strong. Then she asked me to make love to her in the shower.

So we entered the shower together. She undressed first, then I followed. She lay down on the lilo with the droplets of warm water streaming all over her smooth naked body.

Then, just as it was getting to the good part, I woke up in a hot sweat.

Well, we can all dream, cant we?

1st November 2010 - The day I jumped on a plane and got the hell out of the UK and made the big move to Thailand...

Never in my life did I think I'd be able to do something like this with my health and being so young etc, so when I did, I almost couldn't believe it. Best bold move I ever did.

My new job started on May 9th and it was the best move I ever made.

Some day in late September, someone came back into my life, I thought I would never see again- I am in love!

31st December.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Top year indeed.

Awesome stuff