Another Tuk Tuk Driver Assault

madmitch

I've just finished talking to a guest who was assaulted last night by a tuk tuk driver at Karon Circle.

A small group took a tuk tuk from Patong after celebrating New Year. They had asked the driver to drop at Karon Circle and then go onto Karon Plaza at the southern end. The driver went as far as Karon Circle and refused to go any further. they argued, as they had asked previously to go on, and the driver took a baton with a blade out of the compartment and slashed my guest under the bottom of his left ear.

They were not excessively drunk, did not use threatening behavior just argued for what had been agreed, and this was the result.

The tourist police (Thai) called an ambulance and he was taken to Patong Hospital where he received a number of stitches. Of course the tourist police can't issue official police reports so a trip to Chalong is probably on the cards tomorrow. The guest quite rightly wants to report this to the police even though any TV readers will know that it's effectively a waste of time. His girlfriend took a photo of the tuk tuk with numberplate but sadly it didn't come out properly!

Not a lot more to say but I though t I would like to be the first in 2012 to start an anti tuk tuk thread.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They better hope the police don't track the offender down, he might just give the police a few baht to plant a 'stolen barmat' on his person. That's a few weeks in Phuket jail right there, before a few months without a passport while on bail.

I'd love to say that this time next year Phuket tourism is going to be down due to tourist beatings, stabbings, extortion, murders and suspicious deaths, but nope in 20 years time there'll still be plenty of naive tourists going there to boost the local scum's coffers.

Edited by hehehoho

^ If a governor states something it's definitely true.

Personally I imagine the large white envelopes at the end of each month are of more importance, I mean that's why he paid so much to be given the a job right?

Edited by hehehoho

Extortion at it’s very best last night. Tried to get a Tuk Tuk to take me from Patong to Chalong and was quoted as high as 4000 BHT one way! Walked around and asked about 20 different Tuk Tuks, all the fares quoted were no lower than 2000 BHT. I also had some Thai staff with me and asked one of them to try, one girl came back and told me that the driver said they only wanted Farang money and would not help her. He told her to go home by motorbike.

After about an hour I found this Tuk Tuk driver dropping off a customer away from the “unofficial” pickup point located in front of Bangla. Nice elderly gentleman quoted 800 BHT. Jumped in a we were home within 40 minutes.

These crooks are very well organized, and keep each other informed about the destination and the fares quoted for every customer needing to get somewhere.

On the ride home had me thinking about the Navy boys coming for some R&R, they must seriously get screwed by these thieves. Even the independent Taxi drives located around Bangla are in on this scam.

Regulation is needed immediately. Maybe some type of “official “ pick up and drop off zone with the prices listed for various locations around the island.

And also a Hotline to report these bastards for taking advantage of the tourists that keep the islands heart pumping.

<snip>Extortion at it’s very best last night. Tried to get a Tuk Tuk to take me from Patong to Chalong and was quoted as high as 4000 BHT one way! Walked around and asked about 20 different Tuk Tuks, all the fares quoted were no lower than 2000 BHT.

Really sad, how much longer do they think that they can get away with this.

<snip>Extortion at it’s very best last night. Tried to get a Tuk Tuk to take me from Patong to Chalong and was quoted as high as 4000 BHT one way! Walked around and asked about 20 different Tuk Tuks, all the fares quoted were no lower than 2000 BHT.

Really sad, how much longer do they think that they can get away with this.

10 years? That's how long I've been here and it just keeps getting worse.

Why should anybody think it might change?

The best thing we can do (the way I see it) is just tell all tourists you know NEVER to use a tuk tuk.

Motorbike taxis, the buses, mini-vans, walk, rent a bike or car, bicycle................

ANYTHING but a tuk tuk.

You can only hurt them in their wallet.

It takes law and order to do it properly, but we all know that will not happen.

I find it difficult to believe that a Tuk Tuk driver would attack a person without first being attacked, these drivers charge what they want because people will pay it, if you do not want to pay these prices it is far better and safer to smile and say no, where Patong is concerned if a Tuk Tuk is demanding 4000 bht it would be better and safer to again smile and say no, it is never cold here so why not just get a few cans maybe some food and hang around the beach until morning then get the cheap bus!!

If you are going anywhere in this country it is best to plan your return home well before so you will not have to resort to paying ridiculous prices.

Avoiding confrontation here is everything but it takes a special type of person to be able to smile and walk away.

Drink changes everyone, you become brave and unaware of the consequences of your actions, enjoyment is not dependant on alcohol!!

This is my opinion and can be ignored if you so wish!!

Happy New Year and a safe trouble free 2012.

• Like 1

Someone will have to be murdered by one of these thugs before change happens,even still that might not get change.

I don't understand these prices, who do they think will pay 4000 baht one way? Certainly not the frugal Russians.

Airlines have magazines on board the planes, what's to stop a warning advertisement being printed in these magazines about the tuk tuks?

Thai authorities or the powers that be have no juristiction on airline reading material and they would be non the wiser.

Someone will have to be murdered by one of these thugs before change happens,even still that might not get change.

I don't understand these prices, who do they think will pay 4000 baht one way? Certainly not the frugal Russians.

Airlines have magazines on board the planes, what's to stop a warning advertisement being printed in these magazines about the tuk tuks?

Thai authorities or the powers that be have no juristiction on airline reading material and they would be non the wiser.

Don't get me started about Russians I have 2 living next door!! Tourists and warning's do not go together, they are on holiday and they will do just as they like, the majority will ignore all and any warning's because it can't happen to them, you can tell them and hope they are intelligent enough to say no!! Tuk Tuk's ask these ridiculous prices because there is always someone who is to willing pay!!

Edited by kenny999

I hate this monkey business in Thailand that the operators try to rip off tourists. Recently I heard that some taxis in Bangkok cheat tourists by upgrading the metre system to increase the fares without your knowledge. However, you are able to notice as the normal metre light doesn't blink. If you see a red dot keeps blinking it means you are being scammed. mad.gif So, watch out guys!!! - you could be paying more than the normal rate. It could be triple.

Edited by Weally

I find it difficult to believe that a Tuk Tuk driver would attack a person without first being attacked, these drivers charge what they want because people will pay it, if you do not want to pay these prices it is far better and safer to smile and say no, where Patong is concerned if a Tuk Tuk is demanding 4000 bht it would be better and safer to again smile and say no, it is never cold here so why not just get a few cans maybe some food and hang around the beach until morning then get the cheap bus!!

If you are going anywhere in this country it is best to plan your return home well before so you will not have to resort to paying ridiculous prices.

Avoiding confrontation here is everything but it takes a special type of person to be able to smile and walk away.

Drink changes everyone, you become brave and unaware of the consequences of your actions, enjoyment is not dependant on alcohol!!

This is my opinion and can be ignored if you so wish!!

Happy New Year and a safe trouble free 2012.

kenny, there is no bus from Patong to Kata Karon Chalong, not even next morning. It was one more than a decade ago, but the tuk tuk drivers wasted the driver. The lisence for this bus has been available ever since

The tuk tuks are now so well organised, any price has to be approved by the others on radio

My son here on holiday wanted to bring this old beachbum to Patong new years eve, and while I often enjoy a night out, there was no way I would go this night as I want to avoid drunk driving and tuk tuks prices would not be the usual 400 baht home to Kata.

We rather had one hell of a pool party at home, and will do bangla another nightcowboy.gif

laugh.png

kenny, there is no bus from Patong to Kata Karon Chalong, not even next morning. It was one more than a decade ago, but the tuk tuk drivers wasted the driver. The lisence for this bus has been available ever since

The tuk tuks are now so well organised, any price has to be approved by the others on radio

My son here on holiday wanted to bring this old beachbum to Patong new years eve, and while I often enjoy a night out, there was no way I would go this night as I want to avoid drunk driving and tuk tuks prices would not be the usual 400 baht home to Kata.

We rather had one hell of a pool party at home, and will do bangla another nightcowboy.gif

Same for me I avoided going out and had a quiet drink at home, nice!! hence why I said you need to plan ahead and make the arrangements to get home so as to avoid the obvious problems

I hate this monkey business in Thailand that the operators try to rip off tourists. Recently I heard that some taxis in Bangkok cheat tourists by upgrading the metre system to increase the fares without your knowledge. However, you are able to notice as the normal metre light doesn't blink. If you see a red dot keeps blinking it means you are being scammed. mad.gif So, watch out guys!!! - you could be paying more than the normal rate. It could be triple.

It could be triple but still a lot less than the tuk tuks in Phuket

SANE,SAME,it will never change its one big CARTEL,RUN BY THE PATONG MAFIA..the Mayors familly run the TUK TUK federation from Jungceylon ,they are in touch with all the other TUK TUK drivers by radio,i have been here a long time and dealt with these poeple on a daily basis..

i can tell you its got much worse,and unless the government from Bangkok makes laws to change and enforce it,it will never change..Fidlehead has the answer dont use them,dont feed them....but who takes any notice, no one thats why it wont change..

And the same thing will happen to you as a tourist anywhere in the world. As a tourist you are prey.

And the same thing will happen to you as a tourist anywhere in the world. As a tourist you are prey.

Utter nonsense.

Some places the locals actually have morals, integrity and decency. And actually make an extra effort to ensure that they are properly cared for.

Utter nonsense.

Some places the locals actually have morals, integrity and decency. And actually make an extra effort to ensure that they are properly cared for.

Not my experience. It is the same in New York, Rome, Amsterdam, etc. Nairobi, not to talk about real 3rd world countries.

But the person who wrote this "They better hope the police don't track the offender down, he might just give the police a few baht to plant a 'stolen barmat' on his person." is accusing me of writing nonsense?

Yup.

'Anywhere in the world...' this is nonsense. Some places yes, others, most certainly not.

As for the 'barmat' quote. Are you familiar with the Australian mother of four who had a barmat placed in her bag, was arrested, charged and thrown in prison in phuket, was detained for 14 nights, 4 of which were in prison before being released on bail, a condition of which was to surrender her passport and faced 14 weeks of being unable to leave and return to her husband and four young children. And faced 5 years of imprisonment for it until the Australian government got involved?

Are you also aware of the 2 dutch tourists who were beaten to a pulp by Phuket tuk-tuk drivers last year, and upon taking the claim to the police were told that the tuk-tuk guys would likely lay counter charges that would involve imprisonment for the tourists until (and if) bail would be granted, at which point their passports would have to be surrendered while the court cases would be dragged out for as long as possible?

Edited by hehehoho

Utter nonsense.

REALLY....even in the western world,in the Taxi business,there is scams and overcharging,ihe only differance here its an island and corruption rules..but we all have a choice dont use TUK TUKS.....

From your post referring to a "guest", I assume you run a hotel or something?

If so, shouldn't you be finding good taxi drivers and recommending all your guests use one of these?

Not hard to point out the possible problems with tuk tuks and arranging taxis for them. There are a few taxi drivers out there that will pick up passengers at pretty much any time (as long as they are warned in advance). Yes, they will charge more if they are needed at odd hours, but surely that is better than facing the possibility of an argument and then being attacked?

Yup.

'Anywhere in the world...' this is nonsense. Some places yes, others, most certainly not.

As for the 'barmat' quote. Are you familiar with the Australian mother of four who had a barmat placed in her bag, was arrested, charged and thrown in prison in phuket, was detained for 14 nights, 4 of which were in prison before being released on bail, a condition of which was to surrender her passport and faced 14 weeks of being unable to leave and return to her husband and four young children. And faced 5 years of imprisonment for it until the Australian government got involved?

Are you also aware of the 2 dutch tourists who were beaten to a pulp by Phuket tuk-tuk drivers last year, and upon taking the claim to the police were told that the tuk-tuk guys would likely lay counter charges that would involve imprisonment for the tourists until (and if) bail would be granted, at which point their passports would have to be surrendered while the court cases would be dragged out for as long as possible?

That Australian mother even admitted to the theft. The Dutch guys were not beaten to pulp.

Sounds like you have heard of certain things but really don't know the details, just the gossip,

We're going OT though, the thread was about an attack by tuktuk drivers, not about an Australian mother who stole a barmat.

Edited by stevenl