Another Tuk Tuk Driver Assault

madmitch

Again, that is not the experience I have with the tourists here. Neither with my own guests, nor what I see around me, because I am dealing with tourists every day.

So a claim like this: "The average tourist isn't coming back after they experience the Phuket transport mafia horror show." is from what I see, experience and hear far from reality.

That is not to say the transport situation is the way it should be, far from that. But 99% of the tourists take tuktuks without any issues, go on their tours, etc.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant compare sextourists and divers(who just leave on dive trip almost everyday) with the average chineese/japanese/malaysian/australian tourist.

Most of these will never come back and once the money from those people dry up, phuket will hurt really bad. The only reason this place isnt completely dead is because itsi a drop off point for phiphi/sex/krabi

Edited by thaiIand

You cant compare sextourists and divers(who just leave on dive trip almost everyday) with the average chineese/japanese/malaysian/australian tourist.

Most of these will never come back and once the money from those people dry up, phuket will hurt really bad. The only reason this place isnt completely dead is because itsi a drop off point for phiphi/sex/krabi

Lot of Aussies do repeat visits

The only reason this place isnt completely dead is because itsi a drop off point for phiphi/sex/krabi

With that statement you just lost what little credibility you had.

Do you live in Phuket?

There is some truth to this KB. Many people are using Phuket Airport for the cheap flights, and then getting a connecting flight elsewhere, or, heading out to one of the islands. These people appear on the "arrivals" statistics for TAT, but they don't even stay here.

I have some single friends that have their first night in Phuket out drinking with me. During that night they meet a "friend." Then he takes her to Krabi/Phi Phi or another island for his holiday. Phuket see very little money out of these tourist.

I have some friends you are coupled up. Some have kids. They are pretty well over Phuket. They get the cheap flights on offer to get here, and then leave Phuket straight away.

Many are using Phuket Airport as a stop over now.

Bali is firmly back on the tourist map for Aussies again, after the bombings. More and more Aussies are going to Bali and returning to Bali. In the future, you may see it the prefered destination for the Australian market, if it is not already.

Phuket is not changing with the times to meet their competition. The complaints by tourist are the same complaints over and over that have gone unheard for years now. If Phuket will not change, the tourist will change. Many will not return here and will advise their friends not to come here.

The whole way the tourism industry operates on Phuket needs an overhaul, which, many may laugh at, but I can only see the Thai Army being able to implement.

In my opinion, Bali is Phuket's number one foreign competitor and Vietnam is Thailand's number one competitor. I would be happy to here anyone's differing opinion on this one.

well some people clearly don't know much about any other area than their own and think because they see a lot of people, things are going great.

Someone in my extended family ran one of the huge firms. Last few years he made over a million us$ in profit in his pocket/each year.

this year he sold his boats, his cars and has to drive farangs to do visa run himself in his little civic when this isnt something he offers with his company. He's making less than 30k baht a month

The only reason this place isnt completely dead is because itsi a drop off point for phiphi/sex/krabi

Do you live in Phuket?

There is some truth to this KB. Many people are using Phuket Airport for the cheap flights, and then getting a connecting flight elsewhere, or, heading out to one of the islands. These people appear on the "arrivals" statistics for TAT, but they don't even stay here.

I have some single friends that have their first night in Phuket out drinking with me. During that night they meet a "friend." Then he takes her to Krabi/Phi Phi or another island for his holiday. Phuket see very little money out of these tourist.

I have some friends you are coupled up. Some have kids. They are pretty well over Phuket. They get the cheap flights on offer to get here, and then leave Phuket straight away.

Many are using Phuket Airport as a stop over now.

What you say is true, but, that isn't what the sentence I quoted said. You imply that people don't come to Phuket, but use it as a transit point only, otherwise nobody would come here, yet, Phuket is packed every year at high season and the vast majority aren't sex tourists are they?

The problem here is that we see Phuket through "old" eyes. Try looking at the place with new eyes that never saw the place as it used to be. It is still a stunningly beautiful place compared to most beach destinations in Europe.

Edited by KarenBravo

IMO your perception of the experience of the average tourist is completely different from reality (which is of course my perception smile.png).

The average tourist isn't coming back after they experience the Phuket transport mafia horror show.

wrong, the average tourist comes back every year. returning customers in hotels/guesthouses, restaurants, massages, beach chairs, simple stats

IMO your perception of the experience of the average tourist is completely different from reality (which is of course my perception smile.png).

The average tourist isn't coming back after they experience the Phuket transport mafia horror show.

wrong, the average tourist comes back every year. returning customers in hotels/guesthouses, restaurants, massages, beach chairs, simple stats

How absurd. You see those tourists. You DON'T see the ones who don't return who would have returned except for the great unpleasantness. I guess you are saying there are enough return tourists and vital new naive meat to keep everyone happy, including the mafia. Edited by Jingthing

I was sitting on Kata Beach yesterday with a friend of mine who has been coming to Kata since 1990. We started talking with a Swedish guy who had been coming there since the 90's too. We all concluded there aren't as many German and Swedish and other Europeans, but there is a hugh influx of Russians this year. I don't think tourist numbers are down, but the demographics have changed. I also seem to see more motorbikes this year than ever at the beaches, so I'm not sure if people are using tuk tuks less, but they are renting motorbikes more.

How absurd. You see those tourists. You DON'T see the ones who don't return who would have returned except for the great unpleasantness. I guess you are saying there are enough return tourists and vital new naive meat to keep everyone happy, including the mafia.

absurd indeed. you are somewhere stating "the average tourist isnt coming back". I am here, and they do come back. Every year.

The typical blend in the businesses I follow closely, is 60-70% returning customers

Perhaps you think they should not. Possibly do they see Phuket with other eyes than you after spending some time here, so they still do come backcowboy.gif

I was sitting on Kata Beach yesterday with a friend of mine who has been coming to Kata since 1990. We started talking with a Swedish guy who had been coming there since the 90's too. We all concluded there aren't as many German and Swedish and other Europeans, but there is a hugh influx of Russians this year. I don't think tourist numbers are down, but the demographics have changed. I also seem to see more motorbikes this year than ever at the beaches, so I'm not sure if people are using tuk tuks less, but they are renting motorbikes more.

every second rented bike north of Chalong circle is a (usually two up) Russian. They dont go well with tuk tuk drivers, so rented bikes, or PEGAS busses for Russians only

I make sure to tell all tourists I get chatting with here to stay away from Phuket.

Do you consider this accrate advice? How many years in Phuket would you base such advice on? Or is it the fact that Phuket has several english language newspapers and internett news sources daring to report what happens, while a place I know very well, Hua Hin, has none. Zero. Its all hushed down. Not allowed to damage its rep.

I disgust Pattaya. Was there first time decades ago, and liked it. Was there few months ago, and do not like it any more. I tell everyone curios to go there and see for themselves. Some love it

The recent postings seem to be about whether or not to recommend Phuket and whether or not there are repeat arrivals. I was hoping to see an update on the actual subject of this thread. Are fights & bashings between customers & tuk tuk drivers all that common to warrant all the alarm being generated considering it is only a very small percentage of people who use the service (yes I use this term loosely). BTW I do not condone random acts of violence whatever the reason nor do I condone the many unsavory business practices throughout Phuket which mainly involve visitors & just because it happens elsewhere is no justification.

The recent postings seem to be about whether or not to recommend Phuket and whether or not there are repeat arrivals. I was hoping to see an update on the actual subject of this thread. Are fights & bashings between customers & tuk tuk drivers all that common to warrant all the alarm being generated considering it is only a very small percentage of people who use the service (yes I use this term loosely). BTW I do not condone random acts of violence whatever the reason nor do I condone the many unsavory business practices throughout Phuket which mainly involve visitors & just because it happens elsewhere is no justification.

Good post, back on subject.

Considering the amount of tourists taking a tuktuk/taxi, the amount of problems is very, very small. Sure, every problem is one too many should be avoided, but total avoidance of problems is an illusion. Would it be even less with more regulation? Probably yes, because the very few that get away with it now would not get away with it then.

Edited by stevenl

Completely agree. Changing demographics and more tourists hiring a bike or a car.

exactly

Thais are emptied the fins and swedes and in a few years the russian will stop coming here. One day every nationality will be fed up and will go to a country that is actually still cheap and not full of violence. Its coming to a point where its cheaper for most nationalities to just fly to cuba and get a full week at 4 star hotels all included for 250$ What do you get for 250$ here? 1 night at a similar hotel and 1 400m ride of a tuktuk? Also fun to visit a country where most people serving you are more educated than you and can converse outside of the usual 'lady boomboom' and 'where u go where u from' dialect that the tourism workers have

How absurd. You see those tourists. You DON'T see the ones who don't return who would have returned except for the great unpleasantness. I guess you are saying there are enough return tourists and vital new naive meat to keep everyone happy, including the mafia.

absurd indeed. you are somewhere stating "the average tourist isnt coming back". I am here, and they do come back. Every year.

The typical blend in the businesses I follow closely, is 60-70% returning customers

Perhaps you think they should not. Possibly do they see Phuket with other eyes than you after spending some time here, so they still do come backcowboy.gif

dive and sex? as i said divers do comeback because they dont spend most of their days on the island itself. They dont really count.. and sex tourist would come back even if you slashed a toe at each visit.

Completely agree. Changing demographics and more tourists hiring a bike or a car.

have you seen how manay REPORTED russians have died or been serverly injured recently on the road? think of all the unreported accidents. Less hassle with tuktuk(but yet more public assaults) and more road deaths. The tuktuk drivers are in part responsible for all of those deaths since most of them would of used a tuktuk if they were safe and affordable like in the north.

exactly

Thais are emptied the fins and swedes and in a few years the russian will stop coming here. One day every nationality will be fed up and will go to a country that is actually still cheap and not full of violence. Its coming to a point where its cheaper for most nationalities to just fly to cuba and get a full week at 4 star hotels all included for 250$ What do you get for 250$ here? 1 night at a similar hotel and 1 400m ride of a tuktuk? Also fun to visit a country where most people serving you are more educated than you and can converse outside of the usual 'lady boomboom' and 'where u go where u from' dialect that the tourism workers have

od info, several hotels presently full accomodate scandis only, not allowed by chartercompany to accomodate russians if they want scandi business

Do you live in Phuket?

Looking at his (thailand's) latest statements I completely agree with KB here. No answer was given to the question BTW.

dive and sex? as i said divers do comeback because they dont spend most of their days on the island itself. They dont really count.. and sex tourist would come back even if you slashed a toe at each visit.

returning couples are usually not looking for the sex industry

divers usually sleep in a hotel, drink in the nights and eat at least twice a day in a reastaurant ashore, just like any tourist

Actually few divers come back to Phuket as a purely diving holiday, as there are far better destinations for good diving.

Phuket is no longer a diving 'dream'.

(Edit - incidentally, most divers don't eat lunch and dinner on the Island. They eat lunch on the boat as it is necessary to travel to the diving destinations).

However, it still has incredible scenery and a night-life that many enjoy.

I've no idea as to the 'returning' tourists, but have seen one hell of a lot more tourists around Rawai/Nai Harn recently.

Getting back on topic - the best advice anyone can give a tourist is to agree the price before getting in the tuk-tuk.

Actually few divers come back to Phuket as a purely diving holiday, as there are far better destinations for good diving.

(Edit - incidentally, most divers don't eat lunch and dinner on the Island. They eat lunch on the boat as it is necessary to travel to the diving destinations).

I've no idea as to the 'returning' tourists, but have seen one hell of a lot more tourists around Rawai/Nai Harn recently.

Getting back on topic - the best advice anyone can give a tourist is to agree the price before getting in the tuk-tuk.

Agree with your advice, but many divers return to Phuket as a pure diving holiday. Many of my guests are returning guests, quite a few of them year after year. Do agree with you though that the numbers are down, I feel ever since the tsunami.

Regarding meals on land, most divers will eat breakfast and diner here, lunch on board, so that is as KBB stated 2 meals.

Edited by stevenl

Bali is firmly back on the tourist map for Aussies again, after the bombings. More and more Aussies are going to Bali and returning to Bali. In the future, you may see it the prefered destination for the Australian market, if it is not already.

Phuket is not changing with the times to meet their competition. The complaints by tourist are the same complaints over and over that have gone unheard for years now. If Phuket will not change, the tourist will change. Many will not return here and will advise their friends not to come here.

The whole way the tourism industry operates on Phuket needs an overhaul, which, many may laugh at, but I can only see the Thai Army being able to implement.

In my opinion, Bali is Phuket's number one foreign competitor and Vietnam is Thailand's number one competitor. I would be happy to here anyone's differing opinion on this one.

I basically agree with you. Vietnam is going gangbusters. But aussie visitor numbers to Thailand are increasing, not decreasing, albeit at a slower rate than Vietnam and Bali.

The aussie dollar is high and now there are very cheap direct flights to phuket.

2009 Vietnam had approx 120 000 aussie visitors (this is from memory of figures i saw)

2010 Vietnam had 278 000 aussie visitors

2010 Bali had 343 000 aussie visitors

2011 projected figures were 434 000 aussie visitors

2009 Thailand had 698 000

2010 Thailand had 645 000 aussie visitors

2010 of these 420 000 went to phuket

http://www.mybaliguide.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=viewnews&id=944

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Vietnam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Agree with your advice, but many divers return to Phuket as a pure diving holiday. Many of my guests are returning guests, quite a few of them year after year. Do agree with you though that the numbers are down, I feel ever since the tsunami.

Regarding meals on land, most divers will eat breakfast and diner here, lunch on board, so that is as KBB stated 2 meals.

Fair enough, but I do question why anyone would return to Phuket as a pure diving holiday?? I can't believe that its due to the diving and, let's face it, Phuket is not that cheap anymore. Diving is downright expensive!

Edit - most divers leave from Chalong at an early hour and do not have time for breakfast at their residence. Which is why breakfast is available on the boat taking them to their destination.

Edited by F1fanatic