Please Tell Me The Error Of My Ways

kimbathewhitelion

Sorry for the Novel, I'm new to this.

Probably should of researched this site prior to the first try. The first try was to Krabi (last April) - moved into an apartment - after a week went to Chiang Mai for the New Year festivities - came back & everything was gone/stolen (then had a custom built MBP mini workstation) - police did nothing - had to go back to America. Anyways trying for Chiang Mai this time and have some questions which may expand into more later, just want a smooth transition. As a brief on myself: I'm a Entertainment Graphic Designer/Art Director & mid-forties. My eventual & preferred setting will be to have a western style place with kitchen to cook in and a space for a workstation to work with other foreign nations other than Thailand. I'll be bringing my US custom built MacPro Tower (on later return trips) & all accessories for a Professional Graphic Workstation. As for picking Thailand. Thailand's landscape has completely captured my creative mind... I never felt so strongly about a place of belonging.

My Plan:

1. Visa Options. Figure once again, I'll go over with a Tourist 3-entry Visa, find a temporary serviced apartment for 1 month & then seek out a long-term condo lease (just started looking at websites for this). Return to US after about 5 months & then start transporting equipment to TH & eventually switch to a multiple-entry visa if this option is available in the US.

2. Is it an outright dumb idea to bring my large workstation out? (A new custom MBP is an expensive investment and rather slow even with the updated processor & RAM, not to mention the instability issues with Lion. All my Apps are Mac & I am aware of Hackintosh, but I'm not that savvy nor can I deal with instability that that will bring, plus I need the Mac color space)

3. Residence. Don't trust anything with a direct ground level entrance. Thinking high-floor condo. From the Krabi experience, I found security guards can also be a bad thing. The places I've seen on the web are mostly studios (looking for something closer to 10K) and those average between 11K and 15K. Any ideas of key points to look for and websites that don't target people like me? These studios average around 40sqm - quite small. Is it possible to get a western-style 2 bedroom in a good secure building for less than 15K? I also heard Chiang Mai is susceptible to major flooding, if so is there a nearby district in the higher lands I should be looking at?

4. Work. I have to work, due to limited funds. Is there anyone else out there who has to freelance through employment websites (someone in Krabi already referred me to "oDesk") or successfully solicited enough work through their own & if so how's it working out? I was thinking I would get paid via Paypal to my US Bank & then transfer funds to a Thai bank, which brings the questions, what's a good Thai bank & is this process safe - not seen as earning money in Thailand?

Start with this - Food, transportation, relationships (this one has so far been a nightmare), etc., for later. Thanks or I should say, very much appreciated for any help.

1. Tourist VISA or Education visas are easy to get, though you do realize that what you're doing is actually illegal (working without workpermit).

2. Why not unless you plan on moving back to the US soon after?

3. I would go for condos or houses built by a respected construction firm and with good security. Craigslist is ok for finding a room, but you can use Thaivisa as well or hire an agent.

4. If you find your market, it's possible but boring to make money from freelance work and remember that you compete with Indians and Filipinos in a race to the bottom, however the big internet marketing/webmaster forums can be a good source of revenue. Again, remember that working in Thailand without a work permit is illegal. Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank are good banks.

Thanks, I'll sort through the Visa section & post if necessary. I should check out info on the gov website first rather than waste anyone's time. I just got back a couple days ago & suffering from terrible jet-lag, so my mind is a bit slow.

I wouldn't be working for a Thailand company. It would be just the same as if I were on any trip and a person from the US sent me an email - "Can you make a quick logo?" I don't understand how working on my computer for an US client whom is located in the US is considered working in Thailand. Actually I don't know any creative professional who never stops working even on vacation, but I also am just cracking the surface of this country. Yes, I figure I'll be competing with a mess of low wagers. Before bringing the big workstation over, I plan to test out the market with smaller projects targeting US and UK clients; if that doesn't work, I'll have to get more creative...but how much do I need to live there, respectively of a decent living?

Renting first, even in the US, I need to rent for a few years in one area before even consider buying. I'll take a look around ThaiVisa for rental info, didn't even think of Craigslist for housing rentals in Thailand.

Thanks

Thanks, I'll sort through the Visa section & post if necessary. I should check out info on the gov website first rather than waste anyone's time. I just got back a couple days ago & suffering from terrible jet-lag, so my mind is a bit slow.

I wouldn't be working for a Thailand company. It would be just the same as if I were on any trip and a person from the US sent me an email - "Can you make a quick logo?" I don't understand how working on my computer for an US client whom is located in the US is considered working in Thailand. Actually I don't know any creative professional who never stops working even on vacation, but I also am just cracking the surface of this country. Yes, I figure I'll be competing with a mess of low wagers. Before bringing the big workstation over, I plan to test out the market with smaller projects targeting US and UK clients; if that doesn't work, I'll have to get more creative...but how much do I need to live there, respectively of a decent living?

Renting first, even in the US, I need to rent for a few years in one area before even consider buying. I'll take a look around ThaiVisa for rental info, didn't even think of Craigslist for housing rentals in Thailand.

Thanks

There are a few realtors in Chiang Mai that are easy to deal with, you could also have a look at this website http://www.bahtsold.com/en/home

That's quite handy at times too. If you PM me I will give you details of an excellent residence with easy in / easy out terms which would be a good place for you to settle down in while you get familiar with Chiang Mai and look for other options.

Let me play devils advocate with you to see if you current thinking is correct, the title of your post does after all ask that we show you the error of your ways:

You are mid forties, a time in your career when you just entering your maximum earnings from work and you want to give it all up and move to Thailand where you don't have a job. You don't have much money and will need to work but you are coming to a country where labor is notoriously cheap and there's an abundance of skilled talent around and you are not allowed to work. You don't qualify for a retirement visa so the best you can hope for probably is a an Education Visa, an area that the Thai Immigration is starting to crack down due to abuse. Finally, you hope to bring your workstation with you to Thailand despite customs controls governing the importation of electronics into Thailand.

If those things are correct and you can put your hand on your heart and say that this is what I want to do and acknowledge that the motive is emotional rather than logical, I'll PM you with some options for condo's for rent in Chiang Mai.

Edited by chiang mai

Unfortunately they still consider it working and if you get caught you will be in trouble. However if you work exclusively for clients who dont reside in Thailand and they pay on your paypal. Then its highly unlikely they will ever find out.

The other problem then is your visa after a while it might be hard to get one.

Thanks

I think if you're good it should be ok for you to find jobs locally. The problem we faced when we were redesigning our web site is local designers were not able to come up with something that appeals to our western customers. And to work with a designer in Europe was not practical because of the time difference. So we decided to look for a western designer based in Asia. But 99% are just kids with a computer who auto promote themselves "designers". There are actually very few "real" professionals who can work for the thousands of SME that target the western market and therefore need a website with a western feel. And with just one hour difference you can target the Chinese market as well.

Unfortunately they still consider it working and if you get caught you will be in trouble. However if you work exclusively for clients who dont reside in Thailand and they pay on your paypal. Then its highly unlikely they will ever find out.

Factor in one of his quotes: "Start with this - Food, transportation, relationships (this one has so far been a nightmare), etc., for later," and there is potential for disaster. All it would take is for one soured relationship with a vindictive partner who runs to the police and/or Immigrations, and there could be nightmares aplenty.

I'm old school here, what does PM stand for? Regardless, when I arrive sometime next month, I'll PM whomever offers in finding the right place to check. Thank you.

Chiang mai, exactly there's no logic in the move, living in Los Angeles all my life working/living as nothing more than a superficial machine. I worked in Ad agencies & most recent before I started traveling for 2 years now, was the Video Game industry - a grind. Despite having reading glasses I can still pick the percentage in color shades. In all the stress, all back stabbing, all the false people, the stale smoggy but ever so changing California (towards the worst), a change is needed. A road trip through the States did nothing. China is also on my mind, but I have yet to go there. The day I saw the multi-shaded mountains around Krabi, Phang-nga Bay and a variety of the island tours, the landscape...so to speak, stole my heart. I'm choosing Chiang Mai for the smaller bar seen and larger cultural centre, the climate and surrounding sights, along with a big enough city for access. I have enough to live a few years with no income, however that budget would be just rent and food. Extra income would allow continued traveling and whatever mid-life adventures I can find, however I don't think I would go sky-diving or bungie jumping in Thailand.

Didn't know about issues of bringing my own electronics through customs. Last time I came with a laptop, external Raid, wacom and an Xbox 360 with no problem, but then again other than the laptop everything else was hidden among my clothes. A MacPro would stick out. Does that mean if I brought my 24" Laptop Cinema Display with me next month, I would run into some problems with customs?

Thanks Robblok, I was looking for confirmation. I'll only use the Thai banks for storing easily accessible cash and keep my Paypal separate.

The other problem then is your visa after a while it might be hard to get one.

What do you mean harder... for any extended (until I become a retiree), or other?

Thanks, JurgenG, the Chinese market is already on my mind for later. I need to re-establish connections with the US first, then take a shot at the European markets. Also with customs to think about with my workstation, I need a different equipment plan for the larger or full service projects. My previous clients probably think I'm long dead in ditch somewhere, none or most of them only know of Thailand from what the TV, shows them. The time difference will suffice, I'm a night owl (insomniac) in any country and with YouSendIt!, Skype, a camera and a good internet connection, I can still hit deadlines. Also as I know it's popular, but I don't design websites (except my own - still working on the assets & concept thumbs), just print marketing on any scale & when bored, teaching myself 3D. If I do successfully expand my skill set it will be motion graphics & CGI. Sorry, web design to me is tedious & boring. I still have hope for the video game industry.

wpcoe - The real one broke it off last year. The nightmare one which was actually a few since the real one left me, won't happen this time around. I went back to America...gone. Block Skype contacts, changed SIMs, only my email floats out there and I find it's simpler there (Thailand) to just walk away quietly. Scratch the "relationship" future question, I rethought that later after I posted it. No Thai girlfriends for now. Just paint, draw, computer...build...focus. I can always go to Bangkok if I need to clear my head.

What i mean with harder is that they dont keep issuing touristvisa's back on back. It gets harder and harder to get them. A friend of mine an English teacher does get them still. But its hard. I have no such problems as im married.

Its a real easy visa, easier then business visa IMHO. So i never worry about it.

Edited by robblok

No, I hate Macs and the Apple greed. Same, same microsoft, but this isn't the place. Just to answer, then close the subject. I've just been glued to them since the early nineties through work initially and later the ton of rather expensive mac software and a huge Font library of Mac fonts and 2nd to the fonts, a WYSIWYG color space for match print quality. I looked at a Dell laptop BTO earlier today, spec'd it with a faster i7, double the Ram (which is also faster than the Mac installed), better video card & I had the option (too much, but it was there) for a Solid State Raid. The problem is I can't spend the $4300+ dollars on sometime that may have instability issues with my programs & the integration of my thousand+ or so fonts. I read the articles. Hackintosh is an expert level. Even if I followed the guides, there might be some unforeseen problem in the midst of working on 3-4GB file, I can't take the chance. Over 2 Gb files, you can not save as you go along, unless you're using a worthy beast which starts as a box not an envelope. So not boasting. I stand neutral and stuck due current conditions.

The only thing I would say that it is easy to fall in love quickly (with a place, or a person) and just as easy and quick to fall out of love.

Good luck, but do not burn any bridges, and be prepared for a lot of lows along the way.

What i mean with harder is that they dont keep issuing touristvisa's back on back. It gets harder and harder to get them. A friend of mine an English teacher does get them still. But its hard. I have no such problems as im married.

Its a real easy visa, easier then business visa IMHO. So i never worry about it.

Forgot I should quote so people know who I'm referring to. The computer one to "thailand" - not a subject for here.

So you're referring to ED Visa, being a real easy visa. I was about to search this site for that information. Also consider me clueless when it comes to that computer Abbrev., stuff. PM? IMHO? I have so many back to back Tourist visas already know which makes me nervous each time I go back to the Thai Consulate.

Thanks "wamberal", not going to ask, but I fell in love once & got dumped for another Farang (much older than me) as if it was nothing. The first time in long time, I let my guard down, esp., with all the bs in LA. That will not happen again, but thanks and I don't mean that in sarcasm, as I'm still learning here and any veteran insight is well absorbed.

They say ed visa's are easy. I was not talking about them my friend has many back to back tourist visa's but from different consulates. For him its not a big problem. I would not want to live like that. I just got a marriage visa i think they are easy (if married) You can even get a work permit on them (if you qualify).

IMHO = in my honest opinion

PM = message by way of the forum internal message board.

my friend has many back to back tourist visa's but from different consulates. For him its not a big problem. I would not want to live like that. I just got a marriage visa i think they are easy (if married) You can even get a work permit on them (if you qualify).

Different Consulates. Key. Marriage, on the other hand isn't a simple concept. I have to get to know them, which means first breaking the language barrier past the few words I know now. Falling in love is time consuming. It took me nearly two years of coming back & forth to Bangkok (which isn't even close to being a favorite place) to fall in love with this girl... just thinking about what one friend of mine mention awhile back. The last time I was with her, I was going to go with her to her home in Isaan and meet her son and family, but at the last moment I backed out & said I wanted to see Chiang Mai while I had the time. She went home & I went to Chiang Mai. Next time I saw her in BK she bumped into me with her new friend in tag.

Marriage, does a Burmese permanent resident count? Very nice girl with a good heart. I guard my actions & treat current as friendship, but just wondering. If Thai-born, girl, then that is proving rather difficult and I do not want a relationship with a bar-girl.

Your experience in Krabi was trying to tell you something.

Moving to Thailand for the scenery isn't reason enough, given your situation. It soon becomes wallpaper anyway. Nowhere in the USA has great scenery? Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Florida, Appalachia? There's a lot more to California than LA. I can't imagine being unhappy w/ the scenery in Big Sur or Carmel. Santa Barbara's quite nice. You can visit Thailand anytime.

I agree w/ previous posters. Giving up the stability and advantages you have now during your productive years isn't wise at all. As they said, you'll soon run into visa issues. You can deal w/ them a year or so before you become sick of them. It's not a pleasant feeling, being unwanted. Malaysia, now, has quite similar scenery to Thailand and has a fine 2nd home program, that, if you can afford it, would make life much easier and guarantee you wouldn't be kicked out w/ no time to grab that fancy Mac. (I think you could make do w/ Windows fonts, too. Millions of them. Colors good 'nuff.) Malaysia has better internet, better tech, English, and better government in general.

http://m-m-2-h.com/m...equirement.html

Edited by JSixpack

im not suggesting marriage because of the visa that is just not a good idea. About the tourist visa's i dont know much. Just that he gets them, but every time its a risk. I dont want to live like that knowing i might not be allowed into the country and loose my stuff.

I would not build a future on tourist visa's

I know this is off topic & will leave it at this. You can't just go to a store, meet up with or target them & try to make them laugh & then proceed. My good American friend in Krabi found a wonderful girl, they just had their 1st baby, were married several months back. I've met a many good expats who were happily married or ones that found well trusted, good-heart girlfriends. Where are you guys finding these women? Another thing, esp., after the last run, I don't want a girlfriend who already has a kid.

Alright done, enough... I'll look into the proper Topic selection another time.

Depending on your age you could get GF's without kids. Else if your too old the girls you can get without it being a money thing will be older too and many of those have kids.

You start meeting nice girls after you settle down here.. not when your here on a holiday.

Don't do it. This place is a real mess. You've already gotten a taste of the real bias against, " whitey". It only gets worse

If you doing it for the sex, well probably no diverting you from that, but cannot recommend moving to Lie- Land and very very much regret doing so myself.

Your experience in Krabi was trying to tell you something.

Moving to Thailand for the scenery isn't reason enough, given your situation. It soon becomes wallpaper anyway. Nowhere in the USA has great scenery? Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Florida, Appalachia? There's a lot more to California than LA. I can't imagine being unhappy w/ the scenery in Big Sur or Carmel. Santa Barbara's quite nice. You can visit Thailand anytime.

I agree w/ previous posters. Giving up the stability and advantages you have now during your productive years isn't wise at all.

It's not just the scenery, as another wall collapses, there is a certain adventure to it all. There's something about the land, the inaction that makes me feel alive. I walk everywhere, never turning on the TV, I'm active and feel perfect zen looking out at the horizon. The photography is never ending. There is more there and I have a need to find what it is. Malaysia is an interest I still want to check out - will be a good visa run. China is another, as it being one more great curiosity.

My realist side knows your right, my original plan was to move out of State to Seattle. California, with the last two Governors & now the biggest lib, Jerry Brown is scaring more businesses (the ones that count) out of the state...basically politics in California is making it not only one of the most expensive states of low quality (i.e. cost vs quality in 'cost of living'), but among the worst states to live in. I was in Carmel Summer of last year, not the type of people I can stand more than a day. They're a separate entity from the rest of the world and they make sure you that. Santa Barbara, no desire, it's a college town. I went to SDSU, in that sense I would just go back to San Diego. But nothing is like what it used to be in the US. The country's split. America is falling down a long ever so dwindling tunnel and our own President rooting it along. My own client had to shut down offices in LA, move to Texas & merge with a sister company.

I'll take those words in & consider a more flexible lease, revise my equipment and work strategies - Less. Also as well, take in other posters regarding charitable services, that is if I can share any of my knowledge with students who can benefit from it. Maybe I just stay 1 year or 9 months, then call it quits. Never know what the next day will bring... But I hear you.

Don't do it. This place is a real mess. You've already gotten a taste of the real bias against, " whitey". It only gets worse

If you doing it for the sex, well probably no diverting you from that, but cannot recommend moving to Lie- Land and very very much regret doing so myself.

I didn't have any racist issues nor hear of any from my expat friends (all English teachers) in Krabi Town. Same with another English friend (Bar owner) in Bangkok. If it was the sex, I'd be poor right now, still there, but sleeping on the sidewalk unable to go home because I can't afford a plane ticket. Dead in a ditch.wai.gif

Know that. The younger gens tend to learn that quickly & some not. "By accident", is the only way I know, but sometimes (in the US), where ever, you can lead a situation, however it's the direction & who's actually leading is the mystery. Thailand with the language & culture barrier, none of those apply, just "by accident". Cheers.