Neighbors House Fire - Electrical

So the other day the electricity went off again, nothing unusual in that but shortly after I detected a burning smell coming from outside.

Had a look out of the kitchen door and over the tops of the trees at the back of the plot I could see wisps of smoke which as I watched turned into raging inferno with billows of smoke and flames.

It was obviously something more than a bonfire so grabbing the camera I went round to have a look and in the few minutes it too me to get there it was all over.

The house was typical traditional wood structure on top of cement block construction. The fire was so fast it burned all the upstairs wood in moments without much damage to the rooms below.

The fire services were very good and arrived pretty quickly but by that time all they could do was damp down the burnt shell.

The cause of the fire was electrical. Just one old lady lived in the house and probably knew little about the dangers of electrics.

Mrs D now (at last) has the jitters and wants me it install safety cut outs so a question for the knowledgeable, are there different types of cut outs. I'm from the old school and know about "ELCB" is this the only type or is there a better type available these days?

So a reminder for all of us - It could happen to you.

post-35075-0-83146700-1325477934_thumb.j

Nasty, lucky nobody was hurt.

OK an ELCB is now called an RCD in Thailand.

You need to perform a number of checks before jumping in, all are common sense.

1. A visual inspection, look for taped joints, frayed wiring. Fix any you find.
  2. Look for overloaded outlets, outlets with blackened terminals.
  3. Check the rating of the breaker on each circuit is appropriate for the cable in that circuit.
  4. Inspect all your adaptors and traily leads for loose fitting plugs and damaged insulation, condemn any you find.
  5. Shoot anyone you find simply poking wires into an outlet without a plug.

The above will significantly reduce the risk of you having a fire.

Now install an RCD, simplest solution would be a whole house Safe-T-Cut device (it's actually an RCBO and provides overload protection too), your local sparks will know what you mean. An RCD will protect you from shock and to a lesser extent potential fires.

You may wish to add an isolator next to the meter so you can completely isolate your home from the supply without having to be inside.

One thing I've learnt over the years, never ignore the smell of burning insulation.