Iphone And Applecare.

watcharacters

My neighborhood IStudio in TucCom told me yesterday there's no Applecare available at all for the iPhone in Thailand and that there's only the standard warranty available. I've used the Applecare I bought in my home country in Thailand for a Touch (Apple replaced the original one) as well as an Air which I bought in my home country. I'm sorry to learn of this situation with the iPhone. I especially like phone support for Apple products. I need it!

I have a 3gs which has hit the ground probably more times than I remember. It nevertheless takes what I consider quite good photos and I love some of the games I bought from iTunes.

Sadly it seems to have an occasional buzzing when i talk with some friends on it. (my phone or their's?) It may just be some grounding or RF interference but whatever it is, I'd like to address it with a replacement.

Did I correctly understand the lady when she said the iPhone has a one year warranty in Thailand for parts and labor? I'll call Apple to find out about the phone support availability.

I can't answer the OP directly but I can add a few data points. I bought two unlocked iPhone 4 in the USA when they were released last October, and brought both of them with me to Thailand. I knew I would be coming here, so I made sure to ask the rep at the apple store in Virginia if apple would honor the apple care warranty internationally. They assured me yes.

Fast forward, now one of my phones is acting up (gets very, very hot sometimes) so I walked into both an "iBeat" and 'iStudio" store and they wouldn't have anything to do with me because I didn't buy the phone from them. So much for international support. I have a ticket in with apple online support to see what they have to say about this. I hope they don't ask me to mail the phone back to the USA.

It really makes me think about whether or not to buy another. I wanted to buy one for my brother in law in Vietnam. But it seems like if I buy it here in Thailand, the authorized apple dealers over there probably will give him the same cold shoulder I got here if he has any trouble and needs support.

I can't answer the OP directly but I can add a few data points. I bought two unlocked iPhone 4 in the USA when they were released last October, and brought both of them with me to Thailand. I knew I would be coming here, so I made sure to ask the rep at the apple store in Virginia if apple would honor the apple care warranty internationally. They assured me yes.

Fast forward, now one of my phones is acting up (gets very, very hot sometimes) so I walked into both an "iBeat" and 'iStudio" store and they wouldn't have anything to do with me because I didn't buy the phone from them. So much for international support. I have a ticket in with apple online support to see what they have to say about this. I hope they don't ask me to mail the phone back to the USA.

It really makes me think about whether or not to buy another. I wanted to buy one for my brother in law in Vietnam. But it seems like if I buy it here in Thailand, the authorized apple dealers over there probably will give him the same cold shoulder I got here if he has any trouble and needs support.

You walked into an unauthorized Apple dealer and expected help? Did you call Apple Care? They would have told you where the closest authorized Apple repair is. They would have checked it and sent it for repair or replacement. I have had Apple products repaired for free here in Thailand that were bought in the US without any problem.

The Apple Store reps in Virginia were mistaken. If you read the iPhone warranty, you will see that iPhone warranties are only valid on the country where they were purchased. All other Apple computer equipment carries a worldwide warranty, but not iPhones. Accordingly, you will not be able to get free warranty repairs in Thailand if you bought the phone in the USA. I ran into this problem with an iPhone I bought in Hong Kong, and was unable to get a warranty repair in Thailand and had to send it back to Hong Kong. I've heard there is one exception: EU countries, where you can obtain service for an iPhone you purchased in an EU country in any other EY country. From the Apple iPhone warranty:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION

Apple may restrict warranty service to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the Apple Product.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone/

Obviously, the shops you spoke with are not going to offer you a warranty repair. They are resellers, not Apple authorised repair centres.

Thats right. Buy directly from True/dtac/online apple store and you will be covered in Thailand.

In the Usa theres also an accidental damage insurance for iphones, costs $150 and then $50 per "incident" which I guess means replacing the phone. Not sure if thats offered in Thailand but cant hurt to ask...

Edited by nikster

You walked into an unauthorized Apple dealer and expected help?

Both iBeat and iStudio call themselves authorized resellers. Why do you consider them to be unauthorized, and how are people expected to know this?

Did you call Apple Care? They would have told you where the closest authorized Apple repair is.

I think you missed the part where I said that I have a case open with apple.

If you read the iPhone warranty...

I would have read all 32 pages of fine print but I had to be at work on Monday.

You walked into an unauthorized Apple dealer and expected help?

Both iBeat and iStudio call themselves authorized resellers. Why do you consider them to be unauthorized, and how are people expected to know this?

Did you call Apple Care? They would have told you where the closest authorized Apple repair is.

I think you missed the part where I said that I have a case open with apple.

If you read the iPhone warranty...

I would have read all 32 pages of fine print but I had to be at work on Monday.

Because if it's not an actual Apple Store® or Apple Store online, it's just a seller. I always look up Apple Care online if I have a problem and call them, or you can text chat with someone who will give you a case number and where to take your product. I guess I did miss the part where you had a case number. So, what's the progress? Is it covered or not?

• 3 weeks later...

Thats right. Buy directly from True/dtac/online apple store and you will be covered in Thailand.

In the Usa theres also an accidental damage insurance for iphones, costs $150 and then $50 per "incident" which I guess means replacing the phone. Not sure if thats offered in Thailand but cant hurt to ask...

Unfortunately, I was told yesterday at the Apple service center in BKK 4th floor, that it isn't available in LOS. I also found out other things I'll write about in another thread as I don't want to TF this one.