Easy Question

But T/T is a telegraphic, i.e. electronic, transfer, not a traveller's cheque. I think even after the fee one might be lucky and get the same as the bill.

Best rate is usually electronic, but then there are often bank fees on both sides which cut into it.

Maybe cash would be the way to go, but obviously not the safest way to carry it, particularly if you've got a good amount.

at Krungsri bank at the moment - for $1 (from the website) :

note = 30.21

T/T = 31.26

OP asked about $100 bill which is over 31 baht.

Does not matter that is how they (all banks ) state it.

They leave it to you smile.png

100x31.26= 3126 THB

Edited by flying

Does one get more Thai baht with a $100 bill or with a traveler's check?

Depends. $100 bill at Superrich will (6 Jan) get you a 31.45 exchange rate. At Siam Commercial Bank, the rate for a $100 note is 31.16 (Bangkok Bank, 31.26 rate).

A traveler's check at SCB will fetch a 31.29 rate, but will charge 23 baht. Thus for a $100 Tcheck, the effective rate is 31.06. Make that a $500 Tcheck, effective rate becomes 31.24

Have a Bangkok Bank account? ACH $2000 from your US acct via Bangkok Bank New York. BB TT rate is 31.51 (6 Jan). So, after $5 front end, and 200 baht back end fees, your effective rate is 31.33 (assuming your US bank has no charge for an ACH).

Send $10,000...... Effective rate is 31.43.

So, a money belt, and directions to Super Rich Ratchadamri, wins in this situation (depending on how you factor in the cost of inconvenience).

Jim, that is very interesting with the different rate exchanges. Later I will have a very large amout (401k) to be transferred to my Thai bank account and I guess Bangkok bank in NY will be the best way to go.

And the safest compared to bringing it over in a suitcase/money belt. Also, for large amounts you can supposedly contact Bangkok Bank Headquarters in advance of the transfer to discuss/arrange a higher exchange rate than the TT rate...they supposedly will do this for large amounts...and I don't know what they consider a "large" amount....just give them call before transferring as it could end putting more baht in your account. Good luck.

Jim, that is very interesting with the different rate exchanges. Later I will have a very large amout (401k) to be transferred to my Thai bank account and I guess Bangkok bank in NY will be the best way to go.

And the safest compared to bringing it over in a suitcase/money belt. Also, for large amounts you can supposedly contact Bangkok Bank Headquarters in advance of the transfer to discuss/arrange a higher exchange rate than the TT rate...they supposedly will do this for large amounts...and I don't know what they consider a "large" amount....just give them call before transferring as it could end putting more baht in your account. Good luck.

Ian who posts on this forum & works at Bangkok bank has mentioned 50k USD as the considered to be large amount in the past.

Yes he has suggested contacting them for a preferred rate on amounts this size & up I believe.

Perhaps contact him or Dave? Both work for BB & have been very helpful on this forum

Dave = Daveroc

Ian = ianguygil

Edited by flying

Thanks again! Great to have contact names who work for the bank. I get a better rate through Wells Fargo being a Premium member when I send some money to Thailand and great to know Bangkok Bank will do the same. Every baht counts and only if the dollar can get near 35 again before the move.