Alpine Head Unit Replacement For Pajero Sport

joeed

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an alternative to replace the Alpine head unit in my Pajero Sport. I purchased the KCE-422i ipod cable but the ipod-integration is very limited and not satisfactory.

Ideally I would like to keep the current screen and reverse camera and find a compatible Alpine unit that would support USB and ipod fully.

Of course if it's not possible I will consider replacing the whole system depending on the cost.

Any recommendation or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not up to speed on the latest in the Alpine range, but I do know they the unit in the PJS is well dated (around 7 years old), and that there are definitely newer models that have much better iPod integration, and will still interface with the OEM screen - though you would need to buy a DVD player to get LCD screen support (a CD player or one of the newer driveless units will not support the screen).

The other option is to replace the screen itself with a new double-DIN unit that does it all. Both Mitsu and the aftermarket sell dash kits (brackets and a different shroud) to allow a full-size double-DIN to be fitted were the OEM screen is.. If choosing this option, you should be able to get around 10K-13K Baht as a trade-in for the OEM DVD player + LCD.

thanks for your reply.

The model mounted by default is clearly quite old and still sounds good but the features are really far from what can be found on even the cheapest models currently available.

It's good to know that any Alpine unit that can play dvd-video will be compatible with the OEM screen, I will check that possibility first.

I was told that a standard 2-din unit can't fit in the Pajero as there's not enough space (depth) for it. The OEM screen is actually only around 4/5cm deep from what I could see.

If it turns out that I can actually replace the screen with a standard 2-din unit that would give me many more possibilities.

Joeed, keep us posted. I am in the same position. Dislike the poor ipod integration and lack of usb. My stereo guy tells me he is about to get a usb 'adaptor' that will plug in to the existing unit, but needs to be operated via remote control, and will cost around 10k.

I will hold off on that one until you report back, will be very interested in hearing all options you come up with.

thanks for your reply.

The model mounted by default is clearly quite old and still sounds good but the features are really far from what can be found on even the cheapest models currently available.

It's good to know that any Alpine unit that can play dvd-video will be compatible with the OEM screen, I will check that possibility first.

I was told that a standard 2-din unit can't fit in the Pajero as there's not enough space (depth) for it. The OEM screen is actually only around 4/5cm deep from what I could see.

If it turns out that I can actually replace the screen with a standard 2-din unit that would give me many more possibilities.

Aa noted, you can.

Joeed, keep us posted. I am in the same position. Dislike the poor ipod integration and lack of usb.

............... will be very interested in hearing all options you come up with.

+1 (Same here)

A quick update to the thread.

Unfortunately, replacing only the head unit gives very limited possibilities.

I will probably go for 2-din unit and a dashboard kit. I found a shop that sells it for 3200 THB and it looks good (enough) to me. They have shown me pictures of installations they have already done and it looks fine. There is also another thread on thaivisa showing some pictures of a similar dashboard kit.

As I want to keep the reverse camera, I'll stick to Alpine and was thinking about this model : IVA-W520E (http://www.alpine-asia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152&Itemid=139)

The shop is offering 6000 THB for my current unit + display.

On top of that I asked them to mount the steering wheel control for me and that will cost 6500 THB.

I found on another forum that it's possible to do it yourself for 4500 THB but that's not for me.

The total for this including the trade in of the default unit is 28000 THB.

Good luck to everyone but it seems quite clear that the double din dash kit is the best alternative as you can basically install whatever you want and it still looks ok. This solution is apparently popular among Pajero owners (at least around here in PTY).

I went to the exact same one; recommended by one of the Mitsubishi sales girl smile.png

When I initially purchased the ipod cable for the factory unit I went to many shops in Pattaya from Jomtien to Naklua and most had no clue about what to do.

Turbo Sound in Naklua was helpful and seems to know what he was talking about but Boy Air & Sound really seemed to know well what he was selling + he has everything in stock.

For now I'm still not 100% sure to go for the Alpine unit because it can't play divx, only videos coming from the iPod. I see that some pioneer units can play divx but that would imply replacing the camera...

I'll think it over for a few days before I decide for which model I will go.

Edited by joeed

• 2 months later...