Thai Assets Law (Sin Somros) - Same As Uk Law?

mja1906

Under Thai Law (Sin somros and Sin Suan tua) any assets

- acquired before marriage and

- any inheritance received during marriage

remain sole property of the individual, not communal property of the couple ( http://thailandlitigationlawyer.com/asset-settlement-law-in-thailand )

As a registered marriage at the amphur, is legally valid in the UK

Can anyone tell me, what the UK law is on assets? is it the same as Thai law?

ie - Do assets acquired before marriage, and inheritance received during marriage also remain sole property?

thanks

Normally yes. But there are differences between the two law's, for instance while Thailand doesn't know any alimony, in the Uk you would have to pay. Any prenuptial agreement might not stand up in a UK court if it means that the spouse is left out in the cold.

Regarding inheritence, it is best if one makes it clear in a will if an inheritence will be given to the individual only or will fall in the communal property.

Thanks Mario, sorry what does alimony mean? (excuse my ignorance).

Regarding inheritance, does that mean, for example if I am already in my father's will (in the UK) to receive his assets after he dies, that he needs to specify that it goes to me individually ?

Alimony means that you have to pay your ex-wife a monthly allowence to support her.

Regarding the inheritence, I'm not sure. The property is in the UK, so UK law will prefail and I don't know much about UK law. Normally I would recommend to specify it, as it can remove any doubts. But maybe first ask advice from a competent lawyer.