Chiang Mai By Train

happymanme

hi guys i'm in thailand at the end of the month and am going to chiang mai for about 1 week, would like to know how good the trains are eg comfort,food etc

i have seen all the cheap air prices but would really like to go up by train and come back by plane.. then off down to samui so the same applies there

any info would be cool (good as well as bad)

thanks

allan

If you want to use the train one way will assume you want to see something of the country which rules out the overnight sleepers that most people use. There is a day railcar (about 3 cars) with aircraft type seating that does this route and is quite comfortable. I have not used for years but the food was microwave rice/fish then. Would suggest you bring something with you to munch on as stops are few. On regular trains the food varies greatly, depending on who gets the contract. But have not used any trains for the last few years so things may have changed.

The train ride to Chiang Mai is fast for Thailand but slow by international standards.

I'd love to hear more about traveling to Chiang Mai by train as well. Any idea how long that trip would be? Can you smoke on the trains there or should I pack some nicorette gum?

By the way, I'm an old fat fart and can't tote luggage around like I used to. Are there good reliable luggage handlers or should I just do the air trip and keep it simple?

Jeepz

The trains are not comfortable enough for a 15 hour journey.

I would go for the sleeper train .

The only scenic part is the last bit from DenChai to CM

The food varies from bad to excellent, its pot luck.

Oh that reminds me, pack some toilet paper.

Is it take that long? by bus takes only 8-10 hours

but by train take 15 hours!!? oh noooooo!! :o

Well I have been to CM by train only once when i was kid.

The scene between Lumpaang to CM was so beautiful, might have been changed alot by now.

Dont really recommend going there by train,

its not comfortable and take too long.

Is spinter still excited?

The Sprinter rail car trip from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is about 10 1/2 hours.

If you are only excited by hills then the last portion of the trip is your only interest. But many, perhaps less jaded, may find the rice paddy, temples, cities, towns and everyday life that you see of some interest.

let the train , take the strain.

you may have to book in advance for a sleeper,

may be 2 days in advance for chiang mai - bangkok.

beer prices are a bit high , and the food is crap.

you can store your luggage on a rack ,

along side your bunk bed . sore what ?? :o

OK the general consensus of opinion is that you are going to get a sore bum.

How many votes did you get? :o

My (minority?) vote says if you can survive the flight between Tokyo/Taiwan/Seoul and the West Coast of the USA you will have no problem on the Sprinter. If you are thinking of a third class seat or second class in the old day coach's would be more in agreement with you.

Guest IT Manager

Click on the menu home, then "Travel Vignettes"

It is very nice.

I love the train south during the night, and come back on the day train..

Take sandwiches, they have beer chang. They have ice.

I used to do the overnight train trip between Ch. Mai and BKK many times....sometimes four times within 2 weeks. I got to enjoy it. The best one in my opionion is the second class air con sleeper. Get a lower bunk if you can as it is bigger and more comfortable than the upper. You can eat at the station before getting on the train and then have some snacks available for yourself. I used to take some soy milk and bread for breakfast. the food is pretty ordinary. But bare this inmind...the people who walk up and down the train selling the food and drinks do not get a salary......only commision so spend some money with them and also offer them a drink. You can sit at your berth before the beds are made up. they set up a table. You can get some ice, cocke and take a bottle or whiskey or rum or whatever.....set !! Take some drinking snacks and get yourself plastered. then you will sleep pretty well.

The dining car is good for smoking but closes at about 10pm. You can also smoke in the small space between cars.......unless this has changed in the past 2 years. Take a walkman to help getting to sleep. I never had a problem but some do. I agree that the scenery up north is great. But the day train is also worth doing once in a lifetime as it is interesting to see everyday life go by. It all depends on the time of year. Wet season would be best for going during the day as the fields of green rice are incredible to see. To break the journey is a great idea also. Go to Phitsanulok by day train, then get a bus to Sukothai to see the ruins and thenanother bus to Ch MAI. !! Not a bad trip and easy to do.