Six Killed In Van Accident In Samut Prakan

webfact

Six killed in van accident in Samut Prakan

The Nation

8c6faaie9ai6e7k6jbdaf.jpg

Photo: komchadluek.net

Samut Prakan -- A speeding public-transport van crashed into a trailer in Samut Prakan Friday morning, causing six deaths and injuring seven passengers.

One of the victims, Wantaya Klinhom, was burnt all over as an explosion erupted during rescue workers' efforts to pull her out of the van and fire spread fast.

"We were about to help her," Ruamkatunyu Foundation Napat Klomkliang said.

After the fire spread, rescue workers tried to extinguish it to no avail. Firemen were then summoned, after which it took about two hours to put out the blaze.

The accident took place on the Bangkok - Chon Buri motorway in Samut Prakan's Bang Bo district at about 7am. The van has run between the Morchit Bus Terminal and Chachoengsao.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-06

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six Killed in Public Van Crash

A Bangkok-Chachoengsao public van crashed into the back of an 18-wheeler truck this morning on the motorway.

At least six passengers were killed. Four others have been seriously injured.

The accident took place this morning near the 34th kilometer marker of the Bangkok-Pattaya Motorway when a white Bangkok-Chachoengsao public van crashed into the back of an 18-wheeler truck.

The van's bonnet was crushed under the right rear wheels of the container truck on the left lane of the motorway.

Resuce officers used heavy equipment to dismantle the debris and found four passengers lying dead in front of the van.

Five other passengers were rushed to a nearby hospital.

While the rescue team was trying to bring the fifth body of a female passenger out of the debris, a fire broke out, forcing authorities to halt their rescue operation.

Police closed off the road for several hours to put out the blaze causing severe traffic congestion.

As the van's driver had fled the scene, only 44-year-old Worawut Harnlakorn, the driver of the 18-wheeler, and his colleague were present to give their account of the accident.

Worawut said he was driving on the left lane when the van crashed into the truck's rear.

He suspected the public van driver may have fallen asleep at the wheel.

The police were later able to identify the missing van driver as 40-year-old Somboon Tahchalard, a native of Chachoengsao Province.

The van's owner contacted police to provide Somboon's identification for further prosecution.

Somboon has been charged with reckless driving which resulted in the death and injury of others.

The charges carries a jail sentence of over five years.

Latest reports indicate that another passenger has died while being treated at the hospital, bringing the death toll to six.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-01-06

footer_n.gif

Crazy bloody tailgaters, all the van drivers in this country need much, much, more driver training... They're a JOKE! Think they're F1 drivers risking people lives everyday.

Fell very sorry for all (and their families) but the driver!

• Like 2

At this time of the year especially, the stream of deeply depressing reports of death and injury on Thai roads is making me think about turning off email-alerts. Yeah i know, it smacks of head-in-the-sand, but sometimes the sand is a calmer place to be. When i was a kid, i used to criticise my old Mum for refusing to watch the tv news bringing tales and images of death and disaster from around the world into our safe little home - now i know how her mind was working - it must be my turn to be a sad old human.

Yes the van drivers drive like idiots. Feel sorry for the people killed. And why would it take 2 hours to put out a fire? From the looks of the picture neither the van or the semi-triailer is scorched from fire and the article says an explosion also. unsure.png Of course the 2nd article says that just a fire broke out. Obviously a small fire. Moving on to more news now....

Yes the van drivers drive like idiots.

Other drivers are not much different, regret to say. As a frequent driver, I see idiots on an every-single-minute basis.

Especially vans and public open-air red-colored buses (ohh, my Gott....!!)

i always saw articles about vans in thailand and i never paid much attention to it. a few months ago i was seriously injured as a passenger in a van on that same stretch of road. the driver didnt take it seriously at all. last i heard he's still driving for the same company. i commute back and forth daily there, so it's only a matter of time i guess....

Sad and scary .. but I've said my bit about the vans in previous threads a year ago or so. I will use them locally only, from my village to the next town, when he doesn't get the chance to go supersonic. But on the highway to Bkk ? at 140+ kmph ? .. jostling for position with six other vans and five buses and a couple of monster, over loaded trucks .. f****** crazy. The only thing to compare it with is the pod racing scene in the original Star Wars movie.

But yes, sad and scary, and nothing will change until an important politician's daughter is smashed to bits... then they will slow down for about 72 hours, until it is forgotten.

• Like 1

yet more tripe from TV members who like to post opinions based on little or no evidence or "better still" - hearsay or their own personal prejudices.

One is left wondering why there was a fire ATER the rescue workers had started their work.

yet more tripe from TV members who like to post opinions based on little or no evidence or "better still" - hearsay or their own personal prejudices.

One is left wondering why there was a fire ATER the rescue workers had started their work.

Very much so.

Many minutes after impact and it's a diesel van.

Could be LPG powered but in which case why so long, probably triggered by cutting equipment.

From other sources seems the fire started about 30-40 minutes after impact and they had already got about 4-5 injured out of the vehicle.

Credit is due to the rescuers, they almost certainly saved several lives and probably at considerable risk to themselves.

Every time I see reports of accidents involving vans I promise myself I will never use one again..but I always do as it is much quicker and convenient when getting down to Hua Hin..The train is nearly always late or too slow in comparison..Better than being dead or seriously injured...that's it now!

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

Sad and scary .. but I've said my bit about the vans in previous threads a year ago or so. I will use them locally only, from my village to the next town, when he doesn't get the chance to go supersonic. But on the highway to Bkk ? at 140+ kmph ? .. jostling for position with six other vans and five buses and a couple of monster, over loaded trucks .. f****** crazy. The only thing to compare it with is the pod racing scene in the original Star Wars movie.

But yes, sad and scary, and nothing will change until an important politician's daughter is smashed to bits... then they will slow down for about 72 hours, until it is forgotten.

Politician's daughters don't travel in this way, they drive fast cars of their own and kill people......and they get away with it !

• Like 1

Yes the van drivers drive like idiots. Feel sorry for the people killed. And why would it take 2 hours to put out a fire? From the looks of the picture neither the van or the semi-triailer is scorched from fire and the article says an explosion also. unsure.png Of course the 2nd article says that just a fire broke out. Obviously a small fire. Moving on to more news now....

I think the photo was taken before the fire.

I now flatly refuse to enter one of these death traps.

If you are heading to Penang, the ticket agent in the shop across the road from the Hat Yai bus station will lie and tell you it is a big bus. ticket is non-transferrable and non-refundable, of course. BEWARE! The trick is to take the red rattler to Pedang Besar, cross into Malaysia and catch a "rot tour" bus from there. They are a/c, comfortable and cheap.

The rattler runs every half hour, costs <B50, and can be picked up at the stop across the road from Tesco.

Coming back, there is a booth at Butterworth terminal selling tickets to Pedang Besar. It is clearly marked. Do not believe the lying sacks of &lt;deleted&gt; touts who will tell you mini-bus only.

Asia Air now flying Surat - KL, but only 3 times per week.

Crazy bloody tailgaters, all the van drivers in this country need much, much, more driver training... They're a JOKE! Think they're F1 drivers risking people lives everyday.

Fell very sorry for all (and their families) but the driver!

Agree with you, but this accident wasn't as a result of tail-gating. This bus hit the rear of the trailor at high speed. The front of the bus is approximately two metres ' into ' the trailor. Luckily for him, the driver escaped unhurt. Let's hope the authorities catch him so he can face his sentence.

I think the photo was taken before the fire.

Yes the photo is from before the fire.

And it was definitely a gas powered van. I used the motorway this morning and passed the spot just after the fire was put out around 10:45am and saw the charred skeleton of the van as well as its huge gas tank. The container truck was carrying what looked like used computer monitors and part of the stock in the container was also on fire. Fire crews were still spraying the smouldering contents of the container even as I was passing by. The scene of the accident was one of total chaos and I wouldn't be surprised if those juvenile rescue personnel set off sparks while trying to cut and extricate the van from under the back-end of the container. sad.png

Edited by Payboy

Looking at the picture, I would think that the drivers head would be wedged up against the back of the truck if he was in the van at the point of impact. Drivers door doesn't look damaged at all so maybe the driver bailed out before the collision or he is one lucky sob

About few months ago I'm driving my Fortuner (with the wife riding shotgun) in the right most lane during about a 90-100Km like the rest of the traffic in this lane. A saw a van just like the one in the news story in my rear view mirror gaining fast and going from lane to lane to gain that extra meter and second while adding in some tailgating. When he went by me I could see the van was full of Thai's talking to each other and apparently not concerned about the driving. I bet they had never said anything to the drive about his fast, quick lane changing, tailgating driving.

This van driver continued his lane changing and passing to gain that extra meter and second and when he was about 100 meters ahead of me going from the middle lane to the right lane in a quick lane change (no turn signal) he almost lost control. I mean the van almost went up on its two right side wheels...the van wobbled back and forth and the wife and I both gasped, as we thought for a second it appeared the van was going to lose total control and begin flipping over and over down the road probably at 120Km.

Fortunately the van regained control, pulled back into the middle lane and slowed down to around 60Km. As we caught him and drove past you could see the passenger's inside was giving him verbal hell as I expect they all took a crap in their pants and thought they were going to die. And I fully expect none of these passengers were wearing seat belts if the van had seat belts (which it probably did) for passengers.

IMHO many of these blue-lettered license plate drivers are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road based on how I see them drive....but I expect they consider themselves professional drivers. There is a big difference between driving for a profession and being a safe, professional driver.

One might wonder how the driver survived, after looking at that picture. Or did he flee the scene before the scene actually occurred?

How could he do this? David Copperfield driver? First escape and the have the accident?

I am even not surprised from this sad news that I know would come very very soon. Have you ever seen these van-drivers behaving on the road? I am driving more than 50,000 Km/year and have seen them too much as crazy tail-gazers at speeds of over 130 km/hr. As soon as I see these bue and orange stripes on their white Toyota vans, I make way because I know they are drivig like crazy F1 drivers... all of them! It's time to regulate this van-transport and install compulsory speed limit gadgets (stranglers) on their cars so that they cannot drive faster than 90 Km/hour! The difference in time is so small but the safety increase so big that nobody will complain! It will be a relaxig element to other road users who are getting more and more scared of these reckless kamikazes! 5 years in jail for killing 6 people and injuring another 6... ??? No wonder...

• Like 1

Yes the van drivers drive like idiots.

Other drivers are not much different, regret to say. As a frequent driver, I see idiots on an every-single-minute basis.

Especially vans and public open-air red-colored buses (ohh, my Gott....!!)

I like the last sentence "Especially vans and public open-air red-coloured buses". Me too I have been driving over 20 years more than 1 million km along the Thai roads and I have to admit that Thai drivers are getting more and more good and well disciplined drivers, compared to their neighbouring countries. I have seen substantial progress in overall assessment but, it's like you said "these vans and red-coloured open-air bus drivers" are just the scumbags of the road-users in Thailand! And they get pretty well along with the police... (how do they do this? Is this because of their stickers on their that they support the police-friends-association - 10,000 THB/year)?

IMHO many of these blue-lettered license plate drivers are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road based on how I see them drive....but I expect they consider themselves professional drivers. There is a big difference between driving for a profession and being a safe, professional driver.

Blue lettered plates? Can you elaborate please?

I had to make the trip from Chonburi to Bangkok several times last year but after one particular trip, I vowed to my wife never to use one again. All the trips had been horror rides with the driver completely oblivious to any concept of road safety or common sense. They were all as bad as each other until the last, final straw. The driver was overtaking in the right lane when we approached our exit for the motorway. Instead of slowing and moving left he sped up and swung across the traffic to our left. The bus went up on two wheels and only righted itself when it hit the concrete wall beside the road. The driver accelerated away as if nothing had happened. The damage to the van was admittedly only skin deep but it could have been so much worse. (I suspect they would need a new front end, a new door and under-panel at the front) The 12 people in the van were white as we got out in Bangkok. I suspect some of them are still forced to do this death ride every day. Luckily, I now have a car!