Applying For Driving Licence ,pattaya

wispyerk007

I shall be applying for a driving licence when I arrive in Pattaya next week and understand I need a letter confirming my address in Thailand, can someone please clarify if this letter has to come from immigration in Pattaya or the British Embassy in Bangkok. Thanks.

Either :o

Immigration may only issue a letter if you are doing 90 day reporting, but it's worth asking as it's free.

Otherwise a trip to the British embassy will get you what you want, go to the consular section on Wireless road, tell the guard 'driving licence' he will point you in the right direction. Simple form, money, go home. You'll get the letter through the post. IIRC the embassy website tells you what you need and what it will cost.

For hassle free licence application you will need a non-immigrant visa and an International Driving Permit (get it from the AA or RAC), without the IDP you need to take a driving test.

Edited by Crossy

Either :o

Immigration may only issue a letter if you are doing 90 day reporting, but it's worth asking as it's free.

Immigration is much easier than going to your embassy. I've had the letters issued twice. Once when I got my first (1 yr) license, and again when I got my 5 yr license a few months ago. 90 day reporting not an issue for this.

The letters weren't free for me, but the charge was nominal. You'll need visa size photos and passport copies.

It will not be possible to obtain a "proof of address" letter from Immigration , until you have been in Thailand for 90 days. This is why it wasn't an issue for Smokin' as he had already been here for more than 90 days each time he obtained the letter. The 90 day requirement is evidenced at Immigration by your having completed a 90Day Report.

Therefore, the only way for you to obtain a "proof of address" letter is from your country's Embassy.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Cheers Rick.

Also, unless you know someone at the Dept. of Land Transport or get very lucky and have a clerk who overlooks the details, you will need a work permit to get a Thai drivers license.  Fortunately, I knew somebody who knew somebody.  :o

No you dont need a work permit. A non-imm visa will do.

No you dont have to be on 90 day reporting or have been here for more than 90 days to get the"Confirmation of Address letter " from immigration. This is the same letter you need to put a car in your name and you can do that on a 30 day arival visa.

Also, unless you know someone at the Dept. of Land Transport or get very lucky and have a clerk who overlooks the details, you will need a work permit to get a Thai drivers license.  Fortunately, I knew somebody who knew somebody.  :o

Or throw some dosh at them - mate did that and has a driver license - doesnt even live there. :D

It will not be possible to obtain a "proof of address" letter from Immigration , until you have been in Thailand for 90 days. This is why it wasn't an issue for Smokin' as he had already been here for more than 90 days each time he obtained the letter. The 90 day requirement is evidenced at Immigration by your having completed a 90Day Report. 

Therefore, the only way for you to obtain a "proof of address" letter is from your country's Embassy.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Cheers Rick.

Bad info. No work permit required for a drivers license. You must have a Non-O or Non-B visa though. A 60 day tourist visa isn't good enough.

the 90 day reporting has nothing to do with this. I have had two Non-O visas but have never done the extension that allows the 1 year stay. I have NEVER done a 90 day reporting, I just make a trip somewhere like HK, Singapore, US etc., usually work related.

The only absolute requirement is that you have a Non-O or Non-B visa. Having a valid foreign license and International Driving Permit makes it simple. No foreign license or IDP means some tests will be required.

Edited by Smokin Joe

Thanks for all the information guys. I do have the O and the I.D.P. but I wont be here for the 90 days, I applied for it this time because I am retiring here hopefully early next year when my business is soldhere in the UK. I will try immigration in Pattaya 1st and see what happens. Once again thanks to you all.

Got my proof of address from immi. withouth problem, and haven't done 90 days reporting either.

Guess them knowning me for quite a while and the 200 Baht, non receipt, fee helped things along a bit.

This was for the purpose of registering a motorbike by the way, but same paper as required for driving licence.

Edited by monty

I stand corrected, it is not a work permit but a non-immigrant visa which is required for the DL. I'm on a 60 day tourist at the moment, so therefore needed the assistance of my friend. Registering my truck was no problem with only the tourist visa.

The absolute requirements for obtaining a Driver's Licence here are that you have a Non-Imm O, or Non-Imm B Visa and a "Proof of Address" letter from either your Embassy or Thai Immigration.

The current situation as of last week is that (Bangkok)Immigration will not provide "Proof of Address" letters for holders of Non-Imm O Visas, until they have been in Thailand for 90 days. I have just called them again and they confirm that, as they put it.."this is the law". So, the only way to legally obtain this letter is from your Embassy.

It may well be that the rule is different for holders of Non-Imm B visa holders.