Flood Victims Angry Over 'Useless' Appliance Coupons

Lite Beer

Flood victims angry over 'useless' appliance coupons

The Nation on Sunday

The government's much-touted programme to ease flood victims' woes by distributing Bt2,000 coupons to buy electrical appliances has run into several problems and prompted an outcry in many provinces.

To vent their anger at the seemingly inefficient implementation of the programme, about 200 Ayutthaya residents blocked the Asia Road in front of the provincial hall on Thursday.

Apart from long lines at coupon-handout tables, they complained that it was difficult to redeem the coupons.

"When we went to the shops, [the store owners] kept complaining about the complicated process involved in facilitating payment by coupons," said Ayutthaya resident Passorn Saengkaew. "If this is so, why doesn't the government just give us Bt2,000 cash instead? Then we could buy anything we want from any shop we like."

The Energy Ministry implemented the programme between December 27 and Friday. The coupons, worth Bt2,000 each, were valid at participating shops only.

The programme was one of the government's much-touted measures to help flood victims.

After queuing for a long time to get the coupons, many flood victims found their choices limited to overpriced items or appliances that were too big or expensive to suit their families' needs.

In Ubon Ratchathani, 37-year-old Wiroj Atiwattanachai said he found that the prices of products at participating shops were much higher than usual market prices.

"If you check at other shops, you will find that products at the participating shops are much more expensive," he said.

Sawat Jaruset, also an Ubon Ratchathani resident, said electric fans of the kind priced Bt300 elsewhere were priced at Bt500 at participating shops.

The programme seemed designed to benefit sellers rather than flood victims, he said.

In Suphan Buri, a resident said that as all the products on offer at the participating shops were bigger than what his family needed, he decided to exchange his coupon for Bt700 cash at one of the shops instead.

"If we had used the coupon to buy an item available there, we would have had to pay a large sum of additional cash," he said. "I had no choice. I don't want to overspend and get into debt."

In Lop Buri, many flood victims decided to exchange their vouchers for between Bt1,200 and Bt1,500 cash at participating shops.

Second Lieutenant Suwan Pangpis, a former deputy chair of the Tambon Pho Ton Klao Administrative Organisation in Lop Buri town, said many flood victims had agreed to cash offers only because the shops said they had run out of stock and because the programme ran for less than two weeks.

In Phichit, 48-year-old Boonma Imjang said he had wanted to use his coupon for an electric fan or electric rice cooker.

"But such things are not available at the participating shops. There, I've found only big refrigerators and air conditioners. I can't afford those items."

Anchalee Saengthong said her income would not allow her to buy the big electrical appliances even with the help of a Bt2,000 voucher.

"So, the coupon is rather useless," she said.

Sawas Meetaem, an official at the Pathum Thani provincial authority, reckoned that many people had complained about the shortage of electrical appliances at the participating shops.

"When contacted by us, the shops said they had placed orders for more products but the manufacturers cannot provide what they want in time."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-08

The items may have a mark up on them compared to market prices (330 baht instead if 500 baht) but they are still 'free' to the person redeeming the voucher.

But the scam percentage is a little higher than the standard 30%. Hey a new slogan - PTP, the party of 50%

The items may have a mark up on them compared to market prices (330 baht instead if 500 baht) but they are still 'free' to the person redeeming the voucher.

But the scam percentage is a little higher than the standard 30%. Hey a new slogan - PTP, the party of 50%

Indeed.!

Wouldn't be surprised to see the cash amount given to the coupons decreasing as people feel they cant buy any worthwhile appliance.

Mother in Law (who queued for a day to get coupon book) tried to buy items for 2000 baht only to be told that she can only redeem 200 baht for those items, ie that the coupons only give 10% discount on each purchase.

So I thought we'd go back and have another crack, only to be told that the coupon offer ended on the 5th of Jan.

The whole thing is/was a deceiptful scam, not a misunderstanding but a situation where the government recklessly mislead people that they intentionally kept flooded for 2 months.

I'm glad other people are questioning this, it was a pretty sad effort from the government.

Still haven't got our 5000 baht...

Mother in Law (who queued for a day to get coupon book) tried to buy items for 2000 baht only to be told that she can only redeem 200 baht for those items, ie that the coupons only give 10% discount on each purchase.

So I thought we'd go back and have another crack, only to be told that the coupon offer ended on the 5th of Jan.

The whole thing is/was a deceiptful scam, not a misunderstanding but a situation where the government recklessly mislead people that they intentionally kept flooded for 2 months.

I'm glad other people are questioning this, it was a pretty sad effort from the government.

Ditto here. No idea when or if the 5000 baht will ever come. Paperwork was accepted and that is the last we heard of it. I still do not know a single person who has actually received their 5000 baht payment.

I skipped the whole coupon debacle altogether when I heard it was only going to be at "participating" stores. That has scam written all over it. The odds of finding the item I want at a price I am willing to pay at a "participating" store was slim to none. I have been in Thailand long enough to know how scams like this actually work, and it was so obviously a way for government officials to pinch money from the public trough that it wasn't even worth trying.

I am not surprised in the slightest by the stories I am hearing. What I would love to know however is what percentage the shop owners who are going to be able to redeem those coupons without difficulty are going to tip the government for the privilege.

It would appear to be another outright scam similar in application to the rice purchase program, free boats, free food /aid packets, free health care, etc. The only freebee to the consumer seems to be the hot air put into the atmosphere and that seems more polluted/corrupted other than when the absconded 'Boss;' was at his best/worst.

My wife and I are flood victims. We live here in Ayutthaya, just some info about the coupons as we have them and also found them usless. What it is, is a small book of 100 baht coupons. To get the full 2,000 baht you must buy some big appliance such as a fridge, washing maching etc;. In other words something that is several thousand baht more than the value of the coupons. For small appliances say the 300 baht fan that is jacked up to 550 baht, you are only allowed to use 2 coupons. So you get a 200 baht discount and still have to pay 350 baht cash, or 50 more than it would have been normally anyway. Therefore they are worthless because you can't use them all and can't get anything for free. If you could say buy an appliance for 2,100 baht and use the coupons, paying only 100 baht they would have some benifit, but you can't.

Also, we still haven't gotten the 5,000 baht either.

Edited by leion44
  • Like 1

Indeed just another political stunt to get recognition for the government.

Was she smiling when the scam was announced?

Does any one know what was required of shop owners to be a selected store.

Also it would be nice to know who all they were so one could avoid them in their normal course of business.

Patronize only retailers who did not use other peoples misfortune as a means to line their pocket with more than their share.

The programme seemed designed to benefit sellers rather than flood victims, he said.

GEE YA THINK!? What else would you expect from this government? Everything they do is to benefit the rich and the connected. Corruption, scams, and lies at every step.

• Like 1

The reason why they do not get 2,000 Baht in cash is simple of course. The appliance coupons are probably sponsored. Thailand is a country where compassion is very low on the list like in any other BUddhist country. If there is a cold spell, there is always a sleazy company like CP (TRUE) or ThaiBev that wants to show off to the people that they are donating.

When you are filthy rich you give a part of your filth without letting anybody know that you just have give something not so in Thailand. The rotary will be the first in line to donate food product with an expired date and will do not let a foot opportunity slip away. The same is the case with coupons. That the process is complicated is because the sponsors know very well that if it was easy there money would be stolen quicker than Abhisit could say "Kill" to Prayuth.

The reason why they do not get 2,000 Baht in cash is simple of course. The appliance coupons are probably sponsored. Thailand is a country where compassion is very low on the list like in any other BUddhist country. If there is a cold spell, there is always a sleazy company like CP (TRUE) or ThaiBev that wants to show off to the people that they are donating.

When you are filthy rich you give a part of your filth without letting anybody know that you just have give something not so in Thailand. The rotary will be the first in line to donate food product with an expired date and will do not let a foot opportunity slip away. The same is the case with coupons. That the process is complicated is because the sponsors know very well that if it was easy there money would be stolen quicker than Abhisit could say "Kill" to Prayuth.

It's amusing when you do a little research on some of these big company donations sometimes they are donating their own products complete with big banners of politicians. It's essentially free advertising. In some cases their "donations" are being purchased with government funds in price matching schemes. It's outright fraud most of the time.

With the poor educational system and lack of critical thinking skills most Thais don't see the high level shell game being played out. Big gaudy donation ceremonies essentially "buy" face but underneath it all it's a sham.

I feel bad for the flood victims, Thai flood victims, who are being abused through this kind of ripoff scheme from the government and local merchants....

But it also brings to mind two thoughts:

1. The old saying that people get the government they deserve (and/or are paid to vote for).

And 2. Welcome to the Land of Scams (LOS).... It's not just farangs who get ripped off around this place, especially when the government is involved.

Wonder if any of them will remember that the next time elections roll around... I doubt it.

• Like 1

What a shame that this democratically elected government isn't living up to expectations. The 15,000,000 people (mugs) who voted them in have my deepest and sincerist sympathies (NOT)!!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!!jap.gif.

What a shame that this democratically elected government isn't living up to expectations. The 15,000,000 people (mugs) who voted them in have my deepest and sincerist sympathies (NOT)!!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!!jap.gif.

At first I thought, due to the quotes, that you were insinuating my Mother in law was a mug, Steve - a bit harsh if that's the case.

For the record she didn't vote for this government, but she did take the 500 baht they gave her during the week of voting. No harm in that as other posters constantly remind us that it's great to finally have a legitimate democratically elected government.

TV current government defenders are totally silent on this thread. Wake up guys and tell us how good this scheme is and how wrong we are calling it a scam.

Yes, love to hear g'kid or ego473 explain how it was a great program.

And perhaps they'de like to also explain how the shops were selected. Was there any opportunty for shops to apply or was it all decided behind closed doors?

Why oh why do people support this totally corrupt and toally incapable regime?

The disadvantage from the flood was or is not free - you are very shorted sighted in your outlook (comment) many people could do with this "help" it would be nice to see it go smoothly for a change without the Sharks and the worthless comments by some posters. (Nothing in life is free).

Edited by mijan24

The disadvantage from the flood was or is not free - you are very shorted sighted in your outlook (comment) many people could do with this "help" it would be nice to see it go smoothly for a change without the Sharks and the worthless comments by some posters. (Nothing in life is free).

I'm just stating a fact mijan, not short sighted at all. Have you even read the article? As u can see, this is the quote I was commenting on

"If you check at other shops, you will find that products at the participating shops are much more expensive," he said.

Sawat Jaruset, also an Ubon Ratchathani resident, said electric fans of the kind priced Bt300 elsewhere were priced at Bt500 at participating shops.

People have a 2000 baht coupon to buy appliances from participating shops which if they were not given it, they would not have the 2000 Baht to spend on appliances, agreed? So in that way it is 'free' So, better to pay 200 extra Baht than use your own cash.

TV current government defenders are totally silent on this thread. Wake up guys and tell us how good this scheme is and how wrong we are calling it a scam.

Yes, love to hear g'kid or ego473 explain how it was a great program.

And perhaps they'de like to also explain how the shops were selected. Was there any opportunty for shops to apply or was it all decided behind closed doors?

Why oh why do people support this totally corrupt and toally incapable regime?

Well given the education system in this country I understand why the Thai's do it.

But I don't think the farongs whom do it come from such a poor education. Them I don't understand. This is really a unimportant board nothing posted here will ever, ever, ever make one iota of difference as to what happens here in Thailand so I can not understand their reluctance to face up to the facts. Always with the excuses. I believe Yingluck just ran out of excuses her six months are up.

Funny even while she was using that certain posters were defending it. ,If it was defensible why was she not defending it?

When I talk of education I do not mean that they are not learning English. Some of the posters here think that wi solve all their problems.

I wish I would be surprised by all these stories... BUT I am not dry.png

I also do not believe for 1 second about the 5000 THB. I am waiting for a posting from someone who has received them rolleyes.gif

My in-laws got their 5000bht payout AND managed to use all 2000bht of their coupons against the cost of a new microwave that was damaged in the floods. However, it was a real mission to get the coupons accepted!

All of the electrical shops we went to in the town were exactly the same as stated in previous posts - they would only take one or two of the coupons and the prices were higher than they previously were. Going to a smaller shop outside of the 'muang' enabled us to use all 2000bht on one item, paying the difference of the total cost ourselves...!

It would seem as though it is the shop owners themselves who are trying to profit from this scheme/scam as far as I can tell?!

Whether everyone will get their 5000bht payout as well is anyone's guess though? I'm not sure how the money was supposed to be given to the flood victims, but it wouldn't surprise me if the money had already been handed out to local councils to be allocated accordingly and was 'lost' somewhere along the way... whistling.gif

Good luck to anyone who's still waiting - you may need it...!

If the last P.M. had been up to the sh#t tricks this regime is up to. National outcry would be the result. The Thai voters still cannot see further than their privates or have the balls to do anything about it. Maybe the red villages have a purpose after all. The rural population have signed a pledge to the village head man, and dare not do a U turn.

I'm just stating a fact mijan, not short sighted at all. Have you even read the article? As u can see, this is the quote I was commenting on

People have a 2000 baht coupon to buy appliances from participating shops which if they were not given it, they would not have the 2000 Baht to spend on appliances, agreed? So in that way it is 'free' So, better to pay 200 extra Baht than use your own cash.

but as one poster stated earlier they could only redeem 200bht of coupons against a 550bht fan, so do the math they still had to pay 350bht from their own pocket for a fan they could buy elsewhere for 300bht, so please show me where the free bit is.

Indeed.!

Wouldn't be surprised to see the cash amount given to the coupons decreasing as people feel they cant buy any worthwhile appliance.

Land of Scams