Thai Business Lounge

smokie36

Concourse C and E Thai lounges are where Star Alliance gold card holders are pointed to these days I think. The big lounge under Concourse D is reserved only for those flying Thai biz class (and I assume ROP gold card holders, but might be wrong).

I usede the one at D today and it was chocca....but thinned out eventually. No bloody power points neither....crap lounges anyway.

• Like 1

Concourse C and E Thai lounges are where Star Alliance gold card holders are pointed to these days I think. The big lounge under Concourse D is reserved only for those flying Thai biz class (and I assume ROP gold card holders, but might be wrong).

I usede the one at D today and it was chocca....but thinned out eventually. No bloody power points neither....crap lounges anyway.

Crap lounges are all relative. I fly Thai First and the BKK lounge is second to none, then on departing LHR they put you in the bus stop that is "The London Lounge", I would take any of Thais BKK Business lounges over their offering in LHR.

Edited by RabC

Crap lounges are all relative. I fly Thai First and the BKK lounge is second to none, then on departing LHR they put you in the bus stop that is "The London Lounge", I would take any of Thais BKK Business lounges over their offering in LHR.

I agree. I'm sitting in the Qatar lounge in Doha waiting for my lamb rack and guzzling some Laurent Perrier 2002. licklips.gif

I've never had a problem with the SAS/Air Canada lounge at terminal 3.. If there was one small criticism, it's that the showers cubicles don't have toilets in them.

When I fly EVA, I get to go into the American Airlines lounge, which has a similar standard (though I can use the toilet and shower in one trip!).

My favourite is the Air NZ lounge in Sydney.

Terminal 3 where?

I've never had a problem with the SAS/Air Canada lounge at terminal 3.. If there was one small criticism, it's that the showers cubicles don't have toilets in them.

When I fly EVA, I get to go into the American Airlines lounge, which has a similar standard (though I can use the toilet and shower in one trip!).

My favourite is the Air NZ lounge in Sydney.

I experience that in many business class lounges around the world... They seem to have been designed before the advent of the internet and business people actually wanting to use their laptop. OK, I haven't encountered a lounge without free Wifi yet (apart from Vientiane), but finding an electric plug is often a challenge.

I experience that in many business class lounges around the world... They seem to have been designed before the advent of the internet and business people actually wanting to use their laptop. OK, I haven't encountered a lounge without free Wifi yet (apart from Vientiane), but finding an electric plug is often a challenge.

I am constantly amazed that airline lounge designers usually do not take into account that so many passengers need to plug in and work while they are in a lounge. Or maybe charge your iPhone or whatever. Even new lounges open up with no access to power points at all. For example, have a look at the newish Star Alliance business class lounge at Incheon. I have yet to find a single power outlet anywhere in the entire lounge area.

The United/Star Alliance lounge at Narita is one of the few that does it right. Nearly every seat in the lounge has power points running down a wooden strip between pairs of seats. Outlets are very easy to access and there are plenty of them.

Power points in Thai's BKK lounges is sparse, but you can usually find one somewhere. You may have to unplug a lamp to get at it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily they dont enforce that rule about D lounge being reserved for those flying biz class- i am a gold member and always use that lounge, even when flying economy.

I am constantly amazed that airline lounge designers usually do not take into account that so many passengers need to plug in and work while they are in a lounge. Or maybe charge your iPhone or whatever. Even new lounges open up with no access to power points at all. For example, have a look at the newish Star Alliance business class lounge at Incheon. I have yet to find a single power outlet anywhere in the entire lounge area.

The United/Star Alliance lounge at Narita is one of the few that does it right. Nearly every seat in the lounge has power points running down a wooden strip between pairs of seats. Outlets are very easy to access and there are plenty of them.

Power points in Thai's BKK lounges is sparse, but you can usually find one somewhere. You may have to unplug a lamp to get at it though.

Next time you're at Narita, go to the ANA Lounge instead. I find it much better than the UA lounge, design is more appealing, no problems with plugs either, and they have draft beer. biggrin.png

Next time you're at Narita, go to the ANA Lounge instead. I find it much better than the UA lounge, design is more appealing, no problems with plugs either, and they have draft beer. biggrin.png

Well the ANA lounge does have power outlets, but not nearly enough and you may have search around a bit to find one. Also, the UA lounge has draught beer as well, dispensed from those amazing Japanese robotic beer dispensers. Sometimes I get a beer even if I don't want one just for the thrill of watching it tilt the glass and make the perfect head. ANA also have nicer shower rooms, and the Japanese noodle bar is nice. One tip: There are two ANA lounges. Head for the one out by the 50s gates. The other one is in the basement and windowless and can be sort of dark and claustrophobic.

Agreed.

And in Hong Kong, if one has the option of the TG or United lounge, pick the TG. They have a good selection of food and drinks.

US airline lounges are stingy on food and drink. Mind you, I am getting fed up of the tuna fish sandwich on whitebread that is a feature of all TG lounges it seems. The TG lounge in HKT and the TG lounge BKK Concourse D don't have the greatest of food or drink selection. The two worst airline lounges for electric sockets are TG and EVA. The Japanese airline lounges have outlets. Bless the Japanese for thinking of such things.

Frankfurt (Lufthansa lounge terminal 1 - used by Qatar) and Paris don't have free wifi.

Yermaneejap.gif

I do think TG have improved the food offerings in recent years. Not great but certainly more options.

Edit: As a side note I believe Qatar have now opened their lounge at Heathrow T4. I hope its a match of the one in Doha. Perhaps BKK next...I can only dream..

Edited by smokie36

• 4 weeks later...

Well the ANA lounge does have power outlets, but not nearly enough and you may have search around a bit to find one. Also, the UA lounge has draught beer as well, dispensed from those amazing Japanese robotic beer dispensers. Sometimes I get a beer even if I don't want one just for the thrill of watching it tilt the glass and make the perfect head. ANA also have nicer shower rooms, and the Japanese noodle bar is nice. One tip: There are two ANA lounges. Head for the one out by the 50s gates. The other one is in the basement and windowless and can be sort of dark and claustrophobic.

Yes was in the ANA lounge at the 50's gate area yesterday and all was great except he internet connection was slower than snail pace. Edited by Tony59329

• 2 weeks later...

This is really interesting, so to get to the lounge on D concourse you go thru regular immigration and then circle back to the entrance on the lower floor? I thought they were really strict about only allowing TG J passengers in there, I will give it a go next time flying TG Y if you reckon it works (I am ROP gold) - no grief from the lounge attendents, seriously?!

Luckily they dont enforce that rule about D lounge being reserved for those flying biz class- i am a gold member and always use that lounge, even when flying economy.

If flying F or J you should be able to use the respective Singapore Air lounges at LHR, they are smaller and in the F lounge had a prety decent selection of food and wine. It is years since I have used the London Lounge. Definitely worth checking out - simply turn left as you approach teh London lounge and head down the departure corridor for 50 meters or so.

Ever been to the TG lounge in Manila? whistling.gif

I agree. I'm sitting in the Qatar lounge in Doha waiting for my lamb rack and guzzling some Laurent Perrier 2002. licklips.gif

trouble with that QA lounge in Doha is that access to alcoholic bevies is regulated by their

local time, as if travellers from around the planet have body clocks on Doha time

I just went to the lounge at BKK concourse D today, with my eco ticket. No questions asked whatsoever.

What do you mean by walking back? The lounge was right next to the gate (D1A in this case), so no detour at all.

Which immigration route do you use?

By the letter of the law you should be checking in at the Star Alliance Gold counter and then heading off to use regular immigration... which means a walk once you have passed security to get back to the lounge. This is the case with a ROP gold card flying TG

OR Do you use the business class checkin / immigration facility and head directly down the escalator directly to the lounge on D concourse?

Either way what sort of conversation do you have with the lounge attendent to explain your reason for using that lounge when notn entitled to do so? Don't get me wrong, I am all for maximising benefits and will be following in your footsteps if I understand more clearly the way you go about things.

(just so we are 100% clear we're talking about the same thing, you are referring to the TG Biz lounge that is adjacent to the F lounge and opposite the spa, right?)

Which immigration route do you use?

By the letter of the law you should be checking in at the Star Alliance Gold counter and then heading off to use regular immigration... which means a walk once you have passed security to get back to the lounge. This is the case with a ROP gold card flying TG

OR Do you use the business class checkin / immigration facility and head directly down the escalator directly to the lounge on D concourse?

Either way what sort of conversation do you have with the lounge attendent to explain your reason for using that lounge when notn entitled to do so? Don't get me wrong, I am all for maximising benefits and will be following in your footsteps if I understand more clearly the way you go about things.

(just so we are 100% clear we're talking about the same thing, you are referring to the TG Biz lounge that is adjacent to the F lounge and opposite the spa, right?)

Huh?

I check in at row 2, international Gold economy.

I pass immi at CIP, bypassing the long lines. Next thing zi know, I am at the same place as the other eco travellers, admiring the churning battles in the milk sea.

I go to the lounge at D concourse, just show my boarding pass. The computer knows I am Gold, so the scan returns positively.

I'm in.

I'm nowhere near the F concourse, which is as desired.

For a short while (a little more than a year ago?), the main TG business class lounge had a sign up stating that only business class passengers were allowed, and Star Gold members would have to use the other two outlying lounges. I was refused entry once when flying economy and directed to the other lounges. That seemed to last a couple of months. Anyone with a Star Gold card flying on a Star Alliance flight can now use it when flying economy. All you do is show them your boarding pass, they scan it and say thank you. No discussion necessary.

Ever been to the TG lounge in Manila?

Haha, yes, it is a bit like an indoor bus stop isn't it - shocking ! Again, you can use the Singapore lounge in MNL if you are flying J or are ROP Gold. It tends to get busy and is the wrong side of the airport from the TG gate but much prefereable to the TG lounge

Here's another MNL tip:

Go to the TG lounge first. Of course it will be crowded. Look around, then tell the agent at the desk "It certainly looks very crowded today. Scarcely anywhere to sit. Would you mind checking me into the MIASCOR lounge next door please?" The agent will take your boarding pass, escort you to the MISCOR lounge next door (the one used by Asiana) and sign you in with the agent there for that lounge. It's fairly worn out like everything else in MNL Terminal 1, the food isn't as good as the TG lounge, but it's much more spacious and pleasant to sit in. Honestly, the TG lounge is so packed with seats and passengers, I'd prefer sitting downstairs by the gate. I'm not sure that's really TG's fault though, since Terminal 1 is completely run down and out of space, and many airlines have been waiting in anticipation of the opportunity of being able to move to Terminal 3, but after five years, the Philippines authorities are still bungling that one.