Brit Killed Taking Bottle Of Water From Fridge

mickscottatlanta

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone should bring this simple tester when visiting Thailand, and check the fridge, shower etc..

post-49205-0-51333600-1326082900.jpg

smile.png

As a non-electrictian, what do you do with it to test say a fridge?

Poke the fridge with it and see if it lights up. If it does, approach it with caution.

I think everyone should bring this simple tester when visiting Thailand, and check the fridge, shower etc..

smile.png

Poke the fridge with it and see if it lights up. If it does, approach it with caution.

Its only a voltage indicator. I wouldn't use it to prove "Not Live".

If you see a 2 pin socket and the appliance has metal parts, well I'm sure you can work the rest out. IIRC Europe has either earthing or double insulation. I admit to being out of the loop.

Edited by Mosha

smile.png

Its only a voltage indicator. I wouldn't use it to prove "Not Live".

If it doesn't light up, you can safely open the fridge and take your water, beer or whatever from it. If in doubt , call room service.

> If it doesn't light up, you can safely open the fridge and take your water, beer or whatever from it. If in doubt , call room service...

If it doesn't light up you can safely open the fridge.

Next, put the tester to the bottle of water, and anything else that is either moist or metal. No light, proceed.

Remember that the tester also can get moisture inside. Can pack quite a wallop if it does as you are normally protected by a simple resistor wired up in China.

• Like 1

> If it doesn't light up, you can safely open the fridge and take your water, beer or whatever from it. If in doubt , call room service...

If it doesn't light up you can safely open the fridge.

Next, put the tester to the bottle of water, and anything else that is either moist or metal. No light, proceed.

Remember that the tester also can get moisture inside. Can pack quite a wallop if it does as you are normally protected by a simple resistor wired up in China.

So what would you suggest?

Sorry to hear about this fatal accident. However, I find this hard to understand. How can a fridge, which is covered in a "plastic" casing become electrically live? unsure.png

The article does not make clear whether this was a fridge or a cold chillier cabinet?

Anyway, some fridges still have metal casings, along with water coolers and chill cabinets.

The problem is probably caused by faulting earthing or grounding for the American readers.

Many appliances in Thailand are inadequately earthed and if a premises is not grounded properly or not grounded at all, can cause a deadly combination, an accident waiting to happen.

When I buy an electrical appliance in Thailand, including washing machines, microwaves, fridges, freezers, water coolers and so on, the first thing I do before using is to take off the back and ensure the appliance is earthed properly and to apply a 3 pin plug with an inline or interior fuse into an earthed wall socket. 3 pin plugs with interior fuses can be bought here.

If your home or business still has the old 2 point electrical plugging in system, than change it and update your system.

As for what happens when visiting other people’s homes and businesses, than of course this is not in our control, but ensuring the safety of our homes is a start in the right direction.

Very sad and tragic case indeed. RIP old chap, you did not deserve this.

Sorry to hear about this fatal accident. However, I find this hard to understand. How can a fridge, which is covered in a "plastic" casing become electrically live? unsure.png

The article does not make clear whether this was a fridge or a cold chillier cabinet?

Anyway, some fridges still have metal casings, along with water coolers and chill cabinets.

The problem is probably caused by faulting earthing or grounding for the American readers.

Many appliances in Thailand are inadequately earthed and if a premises is not grounded properly or not grounded at all, can cause a deadly combination, an accident waiting to happen.

When I buy an electrical appliance in Thailand, including washing machines, microwaves, fridges, freezers, water coolers and so on, the first thing I do before using is to take off the back and ensure the appliance is earthed properly and to apply a 3 pin plug with an inline or interior fuse into an earthed wall socket. 3 pin plugs with interior fuses can be bought here.

If your home or business still has the old 2 point electrical plugging in system, than change it and update your system.

As for what happens when visiting other people’s homes and businesses, than of course this is not in our control, but ensuring the safety of our homes is a start in the right direction.

Very sad and tragic case indeed. RIP old chap, you did not deserve this.

In Thailand any earth provided, or obtained is still not going to be good enough to save lives. You need an RCD as well!!

this was reported big time in the press in the uk today, was in every single paper, as well as on all the radio stations.......

Good.......the British travel industry must start taking responsibility, and by that start putting pressure on the hotels to up their standards.

this was reported big time in the press in the uk today, was in every single paper, as well as on all the radio stations.......

Good.......the British travel industry must start taking responsibility, and by that start putting pressure on the hotels to up their standards.

You're going to have to start a whole new newspaper if you're going to report every Brit life lost in an accident outside of safe old blighty on a daily basis.

And it's going to be a riveting read, I'll give you that.

Zzzzzz.

The names of resorts and businesses that skimp on safety measures to the point where guests are killed by simply opening a fridge door should really be in the public domain. Even if he was dripping with sweat, he should not have been electrocuted by touching the fridge.

Something seriously wrong there.

I'll bet this is the first time in your life that you read about an accident like this. The point is, it's extremely unusual to happen, hence the publicity of this mishap.

?????????

Fridges have to be earthed. If you look there will be an earth wire at the back. However, in LOS they seem to think that earthing is optional. In fact, you'd be lucky to find any place with a 3 pin plug as a routine fitting. You'd be lucky to even find an earth point in a concrete or wood room/ house with plastic water piping. Which is why I've had to put in ground earths in the last two houses I've lived in here.

BTW, the outside of the fridge is metal, not plastic.

Is there anyone who can provide advice on this type of stuff in Thailand that is detailed enough to help DIYers here who don't have any background in electrics? I have no f**kin idea what to do, but I am concerned. My fridge does not appear to be earthed as it has only two pins. My electric cooker, same. My microwave has a Schuko? plug, but does not have the third ground pin in the plug. It does have a green ground wire on the back but there is nothing in my apartment to connect it to. Complicated crap.

?????????

Fridges have to be earthed. If you look there will be an earth wire at the back. However, in LOS they seem to think that earthing is optional. In fact, you'd be lucky to find any place with a 3 pin plug as a routine fitting. You'd be lucky to even find an earth point in a concrete or wood room/ house with plastic water piping. Which is why I've had to put in ground earths in the last two houses I've lived in here.

Is there anyone who can provide advice on this type of stuff in Thailand that is detailed enough to help DIYers here who don't have any background in electrics? I have no f**kin idea what to do, but I am concerned. My fridge does not appear to be earthed as it has only two pins. My electric cooker, same. My microwave has a Schuko? plug, but does not have the third ground pin in the plug. It does have a green ground wire on the back but there is nothing in my apartment to connect it to. Complicated crap.

This was a pool side fridge, any unearthed electrical appliance in such a situation is an accident waiting to happen. Note that in the absence of an earth even an RCD won't work, or even if it does trip it will only be after the electricity has flowed through you as you are providing the earth as is likely in a poolside scenario.

As far as your fridge not being earthed, I'm not aware of any Class II (not needing earthing) domestic refrigerators. Somewhere on the back of the fridge would be an earthing terminal to which you can attach an earthing wire, not much use if it has nowhere to go to. Common in LOS I'm afraid.

There isn't a national ambulance service together with all the other services involved with dealing with accidents and deaths.

jap.gifjap.gifjap.gif

There isn't a national ambulance service as such, but the Government is trying to draw things together through the work of the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand (EMIT), established in 2008 by the Emergency Medical System Act. This is more of a standard setting, regulatory and development agency than the direct provider of services, although EMIT does have some helicopters and vehicles. Most ambulances are owned either by local government organisations (the municipalities and OBT) or the public health system, and EMIT are trying to improve coordination and develop the bits into a system (the EMS). The emergency number is 1669.

Not many expats keep up with Thai health policy so I try to feed the forum the odd snippet.

http://download-88fl...9-30%20July.pdf

Edited by citizen33

?????????

us

Be careful. Seek the advice of a qualified electrician. He should be able to advise you about your earthing system and what supplementary earth bonding you require.

A fare bit of Thai bashing going on here! I don't think the Thai's keep anything quiet. The Buffalo grape vine runs freely through the rice fields. I don't find it justifiable that arm chair critics with IQ's similar to the said buffalo get on TV and put down Thai's when everything that goes on here is well publicized. It might not have been news that got to the TV members ears within the first ten minutes, so I beg to ask, what exactly is suppression in their great opinions.. I say get down to your local market place, learn to read and write a little Thai. Then your ability to communicate with and around locals will take a change for the better.

"Of course they keep things like this quiet. Thais hate loosing face" and "3?? deaths on the roads over xmas too...not many reports of each individual death...." both very naive cliche statements. If you were able to watch Thai TV!!!! then you would have the knowledge they had programs running the full length of the New Year break covering traffic and traffic injuries and deaths. It was something like commetators of a football match... Aey,,, cheer cheer cheer, and there's another one from Issan, Issan now leads 89 to 84 for Northern Provinces...

I really don't get how dumb some of TV comments can be these days.

A fare bit of Thai bashing going on here! I don't think the Thai's keep anything quiet. The Buffalo grape vine runs freely through the rice fields. I don't find it justifiable that arm chair critics with IQ's similar to the said buffalo get on TV and put down Thai's when everything that goes on here is well publicized. It might not have been news that got to the TV members ears within the first ten minutes, so I beg to ask, what exactly is suppression in their great opinions.. I say get down to your local market place, learn to read and write a little Thai. Then your ability to communicate with and around locals will take a change for the better.

"Of course they keep things like this quiet. Thais hate loosing face" and "3?? deaths on the roads over xmas too...not many reports of each individual death...." both very naive cliche statements. If you were able to watch Thai TV!!!! then you would have the knowledge they had programs running the full length of the New Year break covering traffic and traffic injuries and deaths. It was something like commetators of a football match... Aey,,, cheer cheer cheer, and there's another one from Issan, Issan now leads 89 to 84 for Northern Provinces...

Do you remember the chang mai incident with the deaths in the hotel, they did a lot to keep that quiet. Also the example i gave about the murder was kept quiet. The flooding they lied and kept it quiet until they could not anymore. (got flooded because of it). So i beg to differ about Thais not keeping things quiet.

So is it Thai bashing to point out that this death could have been prevented by improving electrical safety?

A man came on holiday with his girlfriend, went to take a bottle of water from a fridge, and now he is dead..........what say you about that?

• Like 2

You're going to have to start a whole new newspaper if you're going to report every Brit life lost in an accident outside of safe old blighty on a daily basis.

And it's going to be a riveting read, I'll give you that.

Zzzzzz.

You take a strange delight in dismissing this mans death..........very strange.

To the one who posted that you didn´t understand what the fuss is about some expats died. I think you don't have your tinker in place... it´s not about that farangs are more important than Thais, it's more about how much is covered up about these deaths. If your sister or mother got electrocuted and the small article in the newspaper with the line read "Another farang bites the dust" ... how would you feel that they didn´t get the proper investigation or treatment?

The story about the Royhingas, shooting of the red skirts and don't forget my personal favorite... hundreds of 18-year old bargirls dies of heart attacks every year. How much investigation or truth was there to that?

This is about covering up things that shouldn't have been covered up. Instead it should have been dealt with to protect the good reputation LOS once had. That is all gone now... Among some Thais todays problem can be tomorrows problem and there you go. This has been building up for such a long time that the fuse is lit. How many unessecary deaths do we have to read about in the newspapers until the people in charge actually take responsibility they are causing the people who are living in this country?

?????????

This was a pool side fridge, any unearthed electrical appliance in such a situation is an accident waiting to happen. Note that in the absence of an earth even an RCD won't work, or even if it does trip it will only be after the electricity has flowed through you as you are providing the earth as is likely in a poolside scenario.

As far as your fridge not being earthed, I'm not aware of any Class II (not needing earthing) domestic refrigerators. Somewhere on the back of the fridge would be an earthing terminal to which you can attach an earthing wire, not much use if it has nowhere to go to. Common in LOS I'm afraid.

and your qualifications are ?

An RCD would have saved his life, even without an earth

?????????

us

Be careful. Seek the advice of a qualified electrician. He should be able to advise you about your earthing system and what supplementary earth bonding you require.

LOL. I had my shower heater installed by a "qualified" Thai electrician, and I had to redo most of what I had paid him to do, as he obviously had no idea. He certainly didn't know about earths.

?????????

You will get all the help you need on this http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/124-do-it-yourself-housing-forum/

I have a few threads there that I started on the subject of DIY wiring, including earths.