To Songkran Or Not To Songkran 2012

chubby

I'll be skipping it, too much water this past year, nothing to celebrate..

It's Thai NEW Year. So it's for the coming year, as it starts raining again making agriculture possible again. In the North and North East we only get very little rain from October to April, usually not enough to grow much in most places.

Nah...it's a 4-day drinking binge.jap.gif

Surely you mean "death binge"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Songkran festival (Thai: สงกรานต์, Khmer: សង្រ្កាន្ត; from the Sanskrit word saṃkrānti,[1] or literally "astrological passage") is celebrated in Thailand as the traditional New Year's Day from 13 to 15 April. It coincides with the New Year of many calendars of South and Southeast Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songkran

So what about the different times? Pattaya, for example, celebrates it a week later . Do they have a different calendar? unsure.png

They used to celebrate a week later than everyone else, so anyone who wanted to avoid it in other places could go there to escape and the hotels would do a lot of business. Unfortunately, these days, it seems to have just turned into a 10 day event instead and is probably the worst place in the country because of all the soccer hooligan types that tend to hang out there.

Yes, that was my point. This "celebration" is just business related. Have little or nothing to do with Thai New Year.

Songkran Pattaya 2012:

1) Buy food and beer in advance for 5 days.

2) Stay indoors for 5 days.

3) Repeat in 2013

Added bonus for this year is you can shut yourself inside with a pile of easter eggs.

passifier.gif Songkran is crap. I don't mind the ice cold water and even the talcumn powder; but I won't accept the mixture of water, insectiside, alchohol, flea powder, and Benzene....as I saw it being mixed last year and thrown at people passing on Tuk-Tuks here in Bangkok. Then, for people in cars they also added some paint remover...does wonders for the paint job on your car.

But I don't worry, I'll be out of the country for a week. Maybe Cambodia, Sihanoukville this year.

And that's my opinion of Songkran.

passifier.gif

P.S. My Thai stepson drives a Song Thew...ask HIM waht his opinion of Songkran is.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Its great fun, just dress for the occasion and get on with it. Its also easy to avoid, normally speaking you will be able to get out and about in the morning without getting assaulted too much, and you can retire to your hotel until darkness falls, when things tend to quiten down again.

I think you should come and see it.

I'm afraid that if you consider seeing the pathetic antics of 'adults' inconveniencing most other people and motorcyclists by shooting water sometimes at high velocity, as fun, then you have a serious problem with the true meaning of fun. In the 30 odd years that I have been visiting Thailand, I have never met anyone who has admitted to 'liking' the festival or even wishing to join in.

To the Poster, my advice is to steer clear and review your dates. Bath time with the kids is fun.

I've never been before for the Chiang Mai Songkran but I'm sure anywhere near the walls of the old city and hence the moat will be going off and the most likely concentrated around the 'Gate' areas ... the Gates in the old City wall.

Yup, completely correct. Especially all along the outside moat, as the water is mostly more accessible from there.

LOL, Thanks for the reply, sounds good, not sure if I want the moat water over me, Klong water infected my ear last time.

Yeah.. Though it's not a khlong, it's a moat. A khlong is a natural waterway through an inhabited area, such as the ones off the Chao Praya river in Bangok, or Khlong Mae Kha in Chiang Mai.

Water in the moat is already far cleaner to start out with as there are no houses or other buildings next to it that might dump waste water in there. In addition to that, the municipality treats the water prior to the festival. You still want to keep your mouth mostly shut, and your beer-thumb on your bottle. (You will find it remarkable that you can develop muscle ache in your thumb, from holding your beer bottle tightly shut for considerable lengths of time. wink.png )

I say this as a person who has gone completely under water in the moat, and not only survived, but thrived. tongue.png

enjoyed my first songkran in cnx, about 6 year ago,but stayed at home for the last 5,but maybe give it a bash agian this year,it does get very hairy in cnx though,especially if you dont have a super gun to fight back,lol.

So get one! It's still 81 days until Songkran kicks off, but a bit closer to the date I may post some hints and tips, including what to look for in water guns and other vessels and implements used to throw or shoot water. I will also post a 'Do's and Dont's' list, aimed at keep it fun, safe and respectful where appropriate.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I'm afraid that if you consider seeing the pathetic antics of 'adults' inconveniencing most other people and motorcyclists by shooting water sometimes at high velocity, as fun, then you have a serious problem with the true meaning of fun.

The OP will soon discover that the Songkran Grinches have very strong opinions on this holiday. biggrin.png

the-grinch.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I've never been before for the Chiang Mai Songkran but I'm sure anywhere near the walls of the old city and hence the moat will be going off and the most likely concentrated around the 'Gate' areas ... the Gates in the old City wall.

Yup, completely correct. Especially all along the outside moat, as the water is mostly more accessible from there.

LOL, Thanks for the reply, sounds good, not sure if I want the moat water over me, Klong water infected my ear last time.

Yeah.. Though it's not a khlong, it's a moat. A khlong is a natural waterway through an inhabited area, such as the ones off the Chao Praya river in Bangok, or Khlong Mae Kha in Chiang Mai.

Water in the moat is already far cleaner to start out with as there are no houses or other buildings next to it that might dump waste water in there. In addition to that, the municipality treats the water prior to the festival. You still want to keep your mouth mostly shut, and your beer-thumb on your bottle. (You will find it remarkable that you can develop muscle ache in your thumb, from holding your beer bottle tightly shut for considerable lengths of time. wink.png )

I say this as a person who has gone completely under water in the moat, and not only survived, but thrived. tongue.png

enjoyed my first songkran in cnx, about 6 year ago,but stayed at home for the last 5,but maybe give it a bash agian this year,it does get very hairy in cnx though,especially if you dont have a super gun to fight back,lol.

So get one! It's still 81 days until Songkran kicks off, but a bit closer to the date I may post some hints and tips, including what to look for in water guns and other vessels and implements used to throw or shoot water. I will also post a 'Do's and Dont's' list, aimed at keep it fun, safe and respectful where appropriate.

looks like winnee,will be in charge of this years water fiasco,unbelivable,the arrogance,of some people.

It's still 81 days until Songkran kicks off, but a bit closer to the date I may post some hints and tips, including what to look for in water guns and other vessels and implements used to throw or shoot water. I will also post a 'Do's and Dont's' list, aimed at keep it fun, safe and respectful where appropriate.

Oooo! Hints and tips! Do's and Don'ts! How VERY valuable. WOW. How eagerly anticipated by all!

Just more delusion, wasted space, and hot air on the forum.

It's still 81 days until Songkran kicks off, but a bit closer to the date I may post some hints and tips, including what to look for in water guns and other vessels and implements used to throw or shoot water. I will also post a 'Do's and Dont's' list, aimed at keep it fun, safe and respectful where appropriate.

Oooo! Hints and tips! Do's and Don'ts! How VERY valuable. WOW. How eagerly anticipated by all!

Just more delusion, wasted space, and hot air on the forum.

A bit like your post, why did you even bother?

• Like 2

I'll be skipping it, too much water this past year, nothing to celebrate..

At Songkran, I just simply play the part of the loyal Thai son...and visit the family...in the USA. Cool weather and dry undies. Can life get any better?

Is this one going to be topless like last year's? rolleyes.gif

That would bring me out, but yes that's one of the problems too is that they pour cold water all over the holiday (pardon the pun) and don't even let the cuties wear a bikini if they choose and they used to when I first came here, takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me..

• Like 1

what is 'cnx' ?

what is 'cnx' ?

Chiang Mai. (It's the airport code, like BKK is for Bangkok and HKT for Phuket)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

That would bring me out, but yes that's one of the problems too is that they pour cold water all over the holiday (pardon the pun) and don't even let the cuties wear a bikini if they choose and they used to when I first came here, takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me..

Oh the nostalgia! rolleyes.gif

post-12195-0-95092200-1327309050_thumb.j

Yep but are you sure those are girls??? unsure.png Not much hip there to hold up those shorties and there's just something about their build and posture that doesn't strike me as right, square shoulders, bony elbows and strange upper arms.. I'm dubious mellow.png ....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep but are you sure those are girls??? unsure.png Not much hip there to hold up those shorties and there's just something about their build and posture that doesn't strike me as right, square shoulders, bony elbows and strange upper arms.. I'm dubious mellow.png ....

Hoping to find out this year. rolleyes.gif

post-12195-0-34430300-1327310267_thumb.j

Hoping to find out this year. rolleyes.gif

Now I'm sure they aren't!! sick.gif Probably why they can get away with it :( ..

Don't escape to Lao, Cambodia or Myanmar - they have Songkran too.

Don't remind me angry.png It was nice and traditional until a few years ago. One bonus is the cuties who come back home from 'working' in Thailand for the holiday season, complete with bikinis. licklips.gif I tolerate it for a day then hibernate for the next 3.