15 Day Visa Run Without A Company?

Due to an upcoming trip that cannot be changed all I have time for is a run in and out of Cambodia. Id like to go with a few Thai friends and they dont need any visa help obviously.

So I was wondering what documents are needed for me to just go to the cambodian boarder with them (via bus) cross over and come back a few hours later.

Ive only done it in the past useing a service so im not sure what im actually paying for.

when i crossed into cambodia from thailand i had to pay 20 $ to enter, they stick a full page visa label in your passport.

you don't need anything other than your passport and 20 $ (maybe can pay in baht also ?),

maybe an idea to take a small photo if you have one incase but i can't remember.

when you come back into thailand fill out an arrival card and hand it in with your passport.

Cambodia has a reputation for being a bit of a problem with getting hassled for baht at various stages of the process, usually small amounts.

You don't need to use a service. Just you and your passport (I am assuming you're from a country that qualifies for an exempt stamp on arrival). Stamp out, stamp into Cambodia, stamp out of Cambodia, stamp back in 15 days. It's not a big hassle. You'll pay (I think) 1,000 baht to get into Cambodia, and you may be asked for money by officials at the border - anything from 40 baht to 300 baht depending how gullible you look. No problem at the Thai side.

There are some who will say you should not pay these people. Apparently looking puzzled and asking what it's for and if they're giving you a receipt gets you waved through. Or you could just pay up. I'm not going to comment either way, not having done a Cambodia border run myself.

glbv:

exactly what type of visa are you here in Thailand right now?

The answer can make a critical difference.

If you are currently on a multi entry visa...say a B visa with a current work permit...you should have no problem as long as there is another valid entry left.

IF you are one any kind of a single erntry visa...you risk that current visa being cancelled when you exit Thailand.

A single entry visa means just that ....one entry and.one exit. So if you have that single entry visa, no matter how long you can stay in Thailand on that single entry visa...once you exit...your visa is finished.

Then all you will get on re-entry is a 15 day entry to Thailand when you re-enter UNLESS you have a valid multi entry visa that allows you more than one single entry to Thailand.

That's why you should be absolutely sure of that point BEFORE you exit Thailand (cross into Cambodia).

On the other point...you will need a Cambodian entry visa to enter Cambodia...even if you just turn around and return, because

(that's how Cambodia gets it cut of the tourist money).

Can't remember the exact cost...20 dollars U.S. seems right...but I'm just not sure. I've got one in my passport but it was last year that I got it and the amount I paid is not marked on the visa.

Probably another poster on this topic will tell you.

Be careful though, the Cambodians are famous for "accidentaly" overcharging for their visas.

But do not exit Thailand if you have only a single entry visa now...unless you can live with only getting 15 days in Thailand on your re-entry to Thailand because of that quick walk across the border exiting Thailand.

giggle.gif

Don't know why this post is double spaced. That wasn;t my intention.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I am here on an entry visa 30days. I was about to go on a visa run for a double entry tourist visa for the 90 days, but a trip to chiang mai kinda got in the way. So instead im just jumping over to get 15 days to give myself enough time to return from chiang mai and do a proper run.

Another question would be what do thais require to cross over?

3 friends are going, 2 have passports but one only has an ID. Is this posible or will they be stuck on the thai side?

I've seen everyone mention $20 but it's my understanding that it's $20 OR 1,000 baht - and that they will most likely refuse to take a $20 (because with 1,000 baht they can buy a 20 to give their government and pocket the extra 400 baht). They do the same at Mae Sai. I've been told by several people that the charge at Mae Sai is $10 OR 500 baht, but the dude on the other side gets pretty shirty when you try to pay him in $'s and insists he can only accept baht.

So if you’re in Chiang Mai, are you going to do your borders run to Myanmar, or are you still planning on going to Cambodia?

It’s been years since I crossed over at Mae Sai, so I’ll let someone else tell you about that.

However if you’re still planning to cross into Cambodia, then read below:

All you need is your passport and a passport size photo for the Cambodian visa.

Your Thai friends will need to bring their passports with them, they will not be able to cross with only an ID card.

Depending on what border crossing you’re using you will be charged differently.

At Aranyapratet, you can do it for a total of $20, that is the price for the Cambodian visa.

At the smaller border crossings it’s more difficult to get away without a few bribes.

They will charge 1000 Baht for the visa, not accepting $20.

You will also be asked for a 300 Baht fee for not spending 24 hours in Cambodia, this fee can (and should) be negotiated. wink.png

I've seen everyone mention $20 but it's my understanding that it's $20 OR 1,000 baht - and that they will most likely refuse to take a $20 (because with 1,000 baht they can buy a 20 to give their government and pocket the extra 400 baht). They do the same at Mae Sai. I've been told by several people that the charge at Mae Sai is $10 OR 500 baht, but the dude on the other side gets pretty shirty when you try to pay him in $'s and insists he can only accept baht.

You can apply for your Cambodian visa online for 20$ + 5$ handling.Saves you a passport page as well.

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

hi when does your current entry run out ?

where are you at the moment ?

how long do you want to stay in thailand for ?

maybe if your in bkk you could get a flight upto chiang rai then a quick trip to the border (less than 1 hour) at mai sai then a bus down to chiang mai ?

from chiang mai you can fly to udon thani and go into laos to get a double entry tourist visa ?

mai sai and burma very easy, they may accept 10 $ if they are new notes if not 500 Baht,

you can enter burma for the day for some shopping and a look around the market town of tachilek or possibly stay longer.

there's a bus station in mai sai that can take you back to chiang mai or you can get a bus back to chiang rai and stay there a night.

if your coming to chiang mai i would recommend mai sai over cambodia for a border run if you have time.

I am here on an entry visa 30days. I was about to go on a visa run for a double entry tourist visa for the 90 days, but a trip to chiang mai kinda got in the way. So instead im just jumping over to get 15 days to give myself enough time to return from chiang mai and do a proper run.

Another question would be what do thais require to cross over?

3 friends are going, 2 have passports but one only has an ID. Is this posible or will they be stuck on the thai side?

If you are in CM, why not go to Mae Sai?

You can apply for your Cambodian visa online for 20$ + 5$ handling.Saves you a passport page as well.

You can only get a visa online if you fly into Cambodia not avialble at a boarder crossing.

You can only get a visa online if you fly into Cambodia not avialble at a boarder crossing.

You don’t have to fly in, Aranyapratet and Had Lek border crossings will honor an evisa.

Used the online visa to enter at Aranyaprathet