Parking Sting?

connda

The local BIB were busy today ticketing illegally parked motorcycles, well, depending on how you define illegally. There are many places throughout Chiang Mai where the streets are clearly marked with yellow and white or red and white stripes on the curb. Clear to see, and you know that you risk a ticket if you park there. And I have no problem with that.

But...

When you get a ticket for parking on the street where there are no clear markings, well, that's a different story. So, if you ever venture to Wororot Market, I suggest that you never park on Chang Moi Road in front of Top Charoen. Now, the curb there is a nice grey color, but the BIB insist that it's really yellow and white. Well, again, maybe 10 years ago it may have been yellow and white, but by its look, it's been a long, long, long time since anyone has painted that curb, and its now worn down to the original grey cement. And there are no signs indicating its a no parking zone. I read Thai, and I look for them if I'm parking. And if you do park there, you risk having your bike padlocked and ticketed, after which you will have to walk to a remote location to pay the fine and then wait for someone to unlock your vehicle. Not really costly, but a total waste of about 2 hours of your time.

So, city of Chiang Mai, perhaps you can spend some of that revenue generated by ticketing motorcycles in that one particular location, and use that revenue to have your public utilities department paint that curb so that drivers will clearly understand that it's a no parking zone -- because I'm sure that if it was clearly painted, drivers would not park there -- I know I would not! Otherwise, to the causal observer, the lack of paint on the curb may be misinterpreted and misconstrued as an attempt to lure unsuspecting motorists to park in this specific location in order to generate revenue -- which I'm sure is not the case given the high degree of professionalism and integrity of our local BIB. I'm sure this is a simple misunderstanding that could easily be cleared up with a little bit of paint. True? wai.gif

Bib having a "clampdown" today. Saw some westerner in conversation with police on the road the side of Montri hotel today. Red & white paint was very clear.

In that case I would have smiled and paid my fine smile.png . In my case, that wasn't the case. Anyway, when confronted with a Red and White no parking zone, I do what every other Thai motorcycle driver does: Park on the sidewalk -- Interesting but BIB doesn't ticket motorcycles (cars, trucks, airplanes, trailers, farm equipment) parked on the sidewalk. Just a small inconvenience to pedestrians to have to walk in the street. whistling.gif

There are at least 2 places where you can park your bike when visiting Kad Luang, 5Baht I think.

Unfortunately, packed to the gills today. Tried one lot that I normally park at before finding what I thought was a "legal" space on the street. Humm...silly me: grey cement, no paint, who'd thought I'd come back to a chained and padlocked bike. The folks parked next to me were equally confused as to why they were ticketed.

Long post for a small fine!

Trust me...it wasn't the fine. It was the total waste of two hours of time. I'm not going to blink at 200 Baht. But waste 2 hours of my time and you have my attention! But perhaps you don't mind being nickeled and dimed by individuals who are less then above board, and there are plenty here in the LOS to separate you from your money. Me. It ain't about the money. It is the principle of the situation.

Trust me...it wasn't the fine. It was the total waste of two hours of time. I'm not going to blink at 200 Baht. But waste 2 hours of my time and you have my attention! But perhaps you don't mind being nickeled and dimed by individuals who are less then above board, and there are plenty here in the LOS to separate you from your money. Me. It ain't about the money. It is the principle of the situation.

Yeh, the principle of the situation. You have some interesting principles parking on the sidewalk and all. Millions of people have been killed by other people acting on their principles and more are added to that number as you read. Three cheers for everybody who acts on principles.

They got me there also a few months back and the fine was 400B which I did blink at.. and got reduced to 200B by the cop feeling sorry for me and changing the charge!

A nice little earner for them that barley visible yellow/white stripe no parking parking area with white stripes on the road denoting motorcycle parking..

There is an older woman in uniform that cruises that street that Kasim's is on.....we call her 'the parking shark' and she just appears as you found a parking spot and guides you in, then issues you a ticket that has ranged from 5thb to 20thb....depending on where you are going [how long you sill stay?]. Nice lady and mostly on the spot. If she isn't there when you park, she will for sure be there when you are getting back into the car thinking you got away free.

There is an older woman in uniform that cruises that street that Kasim's is on.....we call her 'the parking shark' and she just appears as you found a parking spot and guides you in, then issues you a ticket that has ranged from 5thb to 20thb....depending on where you are going [how long you sill stay?]. Nice lady and mostly on the spot. If she isn't there when you park, she will for sure be there when you are getting back into the car thinking you got away free.

Yeh, nice woman, never asked me where I am going or for how long and never asked for 20 baht, usually 10 but maybe knows I do not stay long since we have been seeing each other there for many years. It is fun the way she just pops up often when you have not noticed her around. Those folks that only know Kasems on Niemanhamen just do not know what they are missing.

Many roads around the city area have parking restrictions that either prohibit parking before 9am and between 3pm and 6pm or only allow parking on either side on alternate days (odd/even). The warning signs are easy to miss but they are there.

Many roads around the city area have parking restrictions that either prohibit parking before 9am and between 3pm and 6pm or only allow parking on either side on alternate days (odd/even). The warning signs are easy to miss but they are there.

I heard they spend more time finding a perfect hiding place than on the actual install of the sign.

Yeh, the principle of the situation. You have some interesting principles parking on the sidewalk and all. Millions of people have been killed by other people acting on their principles and more are added to that number as you read. Three cheers for everybody who acts on principles.

"When in Rome... " -- or -- what was it that that one dude said, "You're not in Kansas anymore." It's standard practice to park on the sidewalks, and obviously it is also absolutely legal. The BIB did not ticket any of the motorcycles parked on the sidewalk directly in front of all the motorcycles that got ticketed on the road. And unlike a lot of drivers, I do try to park in such a way that I'm not impeding pedestrians from walking, i.e. I always leave an opening. God only knows that there are enough mailboxes, telephone booths, business signs, trees, potted plants, statues, utility poles, and other odd objects blocking the way without me making more of a mess out of it. rolleyes.gif