Bangkok Police Officer Killed In Drug Sting Operation

Lite Beer

Bangkok Police Officer Killed in Drug Sting Operation

A policeman was run over by a suspect while taking part in a drug sting operation.

Yesterday, the police conducted a drug sting operation in which an undercover officer attempted to purchase narcotics from suspects in the Suthisan area of Bangkok.

However, the suspects were alerted and fled in their car.

The driver attempted to run the police officer down with the car, and the officer was dragged nearly 50 meters. He was killed at the scene.

The suspects, 25 year-old Alongkorn Rermprachatipatai and his girlfriend, 23 year-old Preeyanuch Puthikorn, were eventually stopped and arrested.

Officers seized 200 methamphetamine pills and four grams of crystallized methamphetamine.

The couple is charged with murder and possession of illegal drugs with intent to distribute.

The police will also search their house. Police Chief General Priewpan Damapong said the suspects were arrested once before, but were released on bail.

He noted that police work is risky, and police officers killed in the line of duty receive full honor and benefits.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-01-12

footer_n.gif

"......... police officers killed in the line of duty receive full honor and benefits."

Which I suspect fall far short of B7.5 million.

And a new contender for the "dragging politics into a non political thread" award. I'm sure it will only be a matter of a few posts before Thaksin and the War on Drugs is mentioned..............

Edit ; Sorry, I only glanced through the offerings but on closer inspection find only Post 2 not guilty of the above.

Edited by phiphidon

Bring back extrajudicial killings.

Please try to keep everything in perspective please.

we are all aware of what organisation is responsible for the import and distribution of narcotics in this country.

if a drug dealer was killed in a turf war incident, there would be no sympathy for that person, so.................................... jap.gif .

• Like 1

"......... police officers killed in the line of duty receive full honor and benefits."

And a new contender for the "dragging politics into a non political thread" award. I'm sure it will only be a matter of a few posts before Thaksin and the War on Drugs is mentioned..............

Edit ; Sorry, I only glanced through the offerings but on closer inspection find only Post 2 not guilty of the above.

Actually, I thought it quite fair to highlight the relative benefits paid to a police officer killed in the line of duty and an arsonist shot dead while trying to set fire to a fuel tanker.

IMHO he may actually receive less than another well known arsonist shot in the foot while attempting to ignite a truck's fuel tank.

The best cure for hypocrisy is exposure to the bright sunlight of criticism.

Drug-dealers charged with police officer's murder

The Nation

30173639-01_big.jpg

Police have pressed murder charges against drug suspects who rammed their car into a police motorcycle, knocking a police captain off the bike and dragging him under the car for up to 15 metres, killing the officer in the process.

"I believe the suspects knew the officer was stuck under their vehicle," Metropolitan Police Commissioner LtGeneral Winai Thongsong said yesterday.

Pol Captain Taweesak Daorunga, 28, was killed during a drugsuppression operation in Bangkok Wednesday evening after two drug suspects, Alongkorn Rermprachathipatai and Preeyanuch Puttikorn, rammed his motorcycle with their car and drove on during an escape attempt.

Taweesak, a deputy inspector at Suttisarn Police Station, sustained a broken skull and broken ribs and died of his wounds.

"I can't take what happened," his longtime girlfriend Jantima Boondaeng said tearfully.

Apart from the murder charge, the two drug suspects have been charged with obstructing officers' work, and drug possession.

A bathing rite for Taweesak with Royally granted water took place at the Tritossathep Temple yesterday evening. The National Police commissioner, General Priewphan Damapong, presided over the rite.

Winai said Taweesak would be posthumously promoted to the rank of majorgeneral and his family would be given about Bt200,000 compensation.

Suttisan Police Station superintendent Colonel Paisan Wongwatcharamongkhon described Taweesak as a dedicated officer.

Alongkorn, 25, said he did not know that Taweesak was stuck under his car when he drove on.

"I would like to apologise to his family, and I am ready to face the consequences of my actions," he said.

Alongkorn and his girlfriend had just dropped off parcels of methamphetamine tablets at a designated spot on Soi Ladphrao 47 when they realised that police were following them on Wednesday.

In a bid to escape, he rammed the motorcycle on which Taweesak was riding pillion and sped on. Another police officer then rammed a police pickup into Alongkorn's car to thwart his escape.

Alongkorn said he had made four drug deliveries on behalf of a man named Muek and been paid Bt100 per tablet delivered. Muek is an inmate in Klongprem Central Prison.

"We have contacted the prison officials in a bid to nail down all those involved in this drugtrafficking gang," Metropolitan Police Division II commander MajGeneral Samrerng Suwanpong said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-13

You're right. Some blame Thaksin for fault of the government.

Actually, I thought it quite fair to highlight the relative benefits paid to a police officer killed in the line of duty and an arsonist shot dead while trying to set fire to a fuel tanker.

IMHO he may actually receive less than another well known arsonist shot in the foot while attempting to ignite a truck's fuel tank.

You might well think its fair but it's a completely different situation and therefore not comparable. By the way, you might want to check out the validity of your "facts" before posting :

"an arsonist shot dead while trying to set fire to a fuel tanker". What? When?Who?

You might well think its fair but it's a completely different situation and therefore not comparable. By the way, you might want to check out the validity of your "facts" before posting :

"an arsonist shot dead while trying to set fire to a fuel tanker". What? When?Who?

Bangkok, April last year, a red shirt was firing into a fuel tanker which failed to ignite, (filled with diesel) when he was shot dead by security forces.

Yes the situations are quite different - one was a criminal arsonist attempting to burn the capital, and the other was a serving officer who died in the line of duty. Which family deserves the larger compensation? Personally, I would go for the Chinese approach and send the arsonist's family a bill for the bullet that killed him.

Should you wish, google "red shirt" +"shot dead" +"fuel tanker" for a plethora of news reports.

Bring back extrajudicial killings.

MAY I remind you that in Thaksin's "war on drugs" in 03 it came out in the official inquiry that roughly 1,200 people lost their lives (gunned down) who had nothing to do with drugs of any kind, is this what you really want?, I would suggest that after you have mulled it over in your mind you retract this silly statement of yours(with respect)
  • Like 1

Police Officer Killed in Drug Sting Operation Granted Posthumous Promotion

Sutthisan police have arrested two suspects in the case of a policeman being run over during a drug sting operation.

The Royal Thai Police granted the officer a posthumous promotion to the rank of police major general, along with entitled benefits.

Alongkorn Rermprachatipatai and Preeyanuch Puthikorn have been arrested and interrogated for allegedly killing Captain Taweesak Dowreung, a deputy police inspector from the investigation department.

The suspects ran him down with a car during a drug sting operation near Soi Ladprao 48 as they were delivering narcotics at a meeting point.

However, the suspects were alerted and fled in their car.

In an attempt to arrest the suspects, Taweesak and another undercover officer rode on their motorcycles to block the car from escaping.

However, the suspects ran the captain down, dragged him over 15 meters, and then drove away.

Captain Taweesak was killed at the scene.

Acting Commander of Metropolitan Police Division 2, Police Major General Sumrerng Suwannapong, disclosed that the suspects are small-time drug dealers who distributed 200-400 methamphetamine pills per deal.

The suspects confessed that they received orders via phone from people in the Bangkok Remand Prison, and that they receive 100 baht per pill sold.

They both have also been charged with possession of illegal drugs with intent to sell, and at the time of the murder, they were out on bail during their court trail.

Captain Taweesak had been working in the field for less than one month after working as a police inspector at Sutthisan Police Station.

The Royal Thai Police have granted him with a posthumous promotion to the rank of police major general, along with entitled benefits as he was killed in the line of duty.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-01-13

footer_n.gif

Thaksin's "war on drugs" was in fact "war for drugs" during which the control of the gigantic and hugely profitable trade in amphetamines was wrested from criminal syndicates and taken over by the police ..... so the above comments about a turf war casualty ring true .....

Thaksin's "war on drugs" was in fact "war for drugs" during which the control of the gigantic and hugely profitable trade in amphetamines was wrested from criminal syndicates and taken over by the police ..... so the above comments about a turf war casualty ring true .....

Let's blame Thaksin... It's all his foul... Isn't it ? If not, then blame some one else spamsign.gif

The driver attempted to run the police officer down with the car, and the officer was dragged nearly 50 meters. He was killed at the scene.

What you mean "attempted" ?!? He obviously succeeded...

Officers seized 200 methamphetamine pills and four grams of crystallized methamphetamine.

These guys are just little fish, only 200 pills and 4 grams. Why don't they get their supplier???

Maybe because higher in the chain they are better 'protected'... angry.png

RIP for the brave police officer!

Let's blame Thaksin... It's all his foul... Isn't it ? If not, then blame some one else spamsign.gif

oh come on, i didn't directly blame thaksin - i merely stated that i agreed that the other poster who suggested that it was a "turf war casualty", based on the fact that the amphetamine trade in thailand is widely known to be under the control of the police - when i policeman is involved in something like this, he is far more likely to be enforcing measures to protect a share of the market controlled by his superiors than making an effort to carry out his duty to the citizens of thailand and get drugs off the streets.....

but since you have raised the issue, while mr thaksin may be innocent of many of the crimes he is accused of - i emphatically do blame thaksin for that, who else could you blame?

Edited by GooEng

These guys are just little fish, only 200 pills and 4 grams. Why don't they get their supplier???

They had just made their 4th drop off before finding out they were being followed. Police know who they were delivering for and are chasing up............

Or did I read that wrong?

The guy they were working for is already in jail according to the article from the Nation

Bangkok, April last year, a red shirt was firing into a fuel tanker which failed to ignite, (filled with diesel) when he was shot dead by security forces.

Yes the situations are quite different - one was a criminal arsonist attempting to burn the capital, and the other was a serving officer who died in the line of duty. Which family deserves the larger compensation? Personally, I would go for the Chinese approach and send the arsonist's family a bill for the bullet that killed him.

Should you wish, google "red shirt" +"shot dead" +"fuel tanker" for a plethora of news reports.

I did as you said and found this eventually (plenty of text about it in google search but none of the links provided any more info)

BANGKOK, May 17 (TNA) - Residents near Bon Kai intersection on Bangkok's Rama IV Road are in panic as anti-government Red Shirt protesters parked a fuel truck in the middle of the road Monday evening while tyres are being burned not far away.

Confrontation between government troops and protesting Red Shirts at Bon Kai, one of the most violent scenes of confrontation for several days, continued for three hours Monday afternoon.

Troops fired warning shots as demonstrators approached security lines and fired homemade rockets, fireworks and pingpong bombs at the army troops.

Protesters later blocked the road by parking the fuel tanker. Soldiers fired warning shots to prevent the Red Shirts from getting near the truck, amid fears that they would set it on fire.

It is not known whether the truck is filled with fuel or not.

http://www.mcot.net/...page/57062.html

So no protester shot dead whilst "trying to set it on fire" then. Nobody knows whether it was filled with fuel or not. And this report was from May 17th not April. Anything I've missed?