Bank Of Thailand Launching New Banknote Series Next Week

webfact

Superb bit of double shuffling -- they can print a new series, but they will be very slow in retrieving the old ones -- thereby paying off the government debt. USA could learn a trick or two here given their ongoing total none-sense about their vastly more prolific government's spending. Maybe the EU will issue a "new series" of banknotes too,,,,cowboy.gif

US tried it recently with the $100 dollar bill; couldn't get it right. They had to destroy Millions of brand new hundred dollar bills because they screwed them up. Was a fiasco.

The BoT governor said that about 190 million Bt50 banknotes currently circulate in the system, and that the new issue would cost Bt5 higher then the currently used notes. Why?

The other article says 5 %, not 5 baht. Quality reporting.

The BoT governor said that about 190 million Bt50 banknotes currently circulate in the system

That surprises me. That works out at 3 x 50 Bt notes per person, yet i hardly ever see one. I doubt that i get more than 2 per month in my change, so where are they all?

Probably why they are issuing the 50's first. Please note the life span of paper currency is less that 3 years

Why would money need to be colorful? USDs are perfect. Same size and shape with different BIG NUMBERS on them to distinguish them.

I trust you're being sarcastic. If not then you're wrong...

Notes from almost any country other than the US are far better designed....

Why would money need to be colorful? USDs are perfect. Same size and shape with different BIG NUMBERS on them to distinguish them.

I trust you're being sarcastic. If not then you're wrong...

Notes from almost any country other than the US are far better designed....

Examples? I've never had a problem with USDs, so, for my purposes, they are perfect, by definition.

EDIT: (addition below)

I do understand that you can make money better for more purposes. For example, one person mentioned that Australian currency is waterproof. That is a good thing. Having money that uses color to distinguis between denominations is also a good thing, I suppose. Difference sizes for different denominations is also nice. However, I think these things can also be regarded as really quite unnecessary. Not bad things, just not needed. If you are person who spends money recklessly and who doesn't pay attention to the denomination of bills you're handing over and those which you receive, then you need to do a better job. If you leave money in your laundry often and have your bills washed and dried and possibly damaged, then you should please pay more attention. If you are vision impaired, then get your vision sorted out. If you are blind, of course, that is another thing entirely, and I can see how you could design for those one-offs. But, I stand by my assertion that from a purely functional standpoint, USDs are highly functional.

Edited by ThailandMan

In my naivety I assumed the photos of the young man were photos of the Prince. I wonder how many first time tourists make the same mistake.

Tourist should not take a closer look at the bills better to spend them quickly

You give, we take giggle.gif