U.S. launches probe into video of U.S. Marines urinating on Afghan corpses

News_Editor

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I haven't read here is how it might motivate some nutter already living in a Western country. The Taliban might already hate the other invaders and were going to shoot at our boys anyway, what about the person (yes, Muslim) in London, New York etc who gets fired up over this and decides to get back at any "infidel"?

By that logic we should all be living by Sharia law. And then they win because that is what they want anyway.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion.

Because you are doing things designed not to upset nutters in the UK or US. These nutters want everyone to live by Sharia law. So to not upset them we should all adopt Sharia law.

Nope. I'm sure there is something in Sharia Law that makes sense to Westerners but that doesn't mean you have to accept ALL of it. "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is in the Bible and many people go along with that. It doesn't mean they go along with everything in the Bible, does it?

Besides, we're not talking about whether or not a woman should cover her face. We are talking about something that is repugnant to just about everybody across the globe regardless of culture or religion to some degree. Whether in London, Istanbul, Tokyo, Bangkok, Caracas, Nairobi, Rome, Los Angeles, Toronto, Berlin, Moscow, Karachi, New Delhi, La Paz, Rome, Dubai, Cairo, Sydney, Wellington - OK, maybe not Wellington - if you urinate on a dead body people are generally going to look at you like you're nuts.

Edited by koheesti

Gawd what a debate. Honestly, this doesn't rank very high in the list of crap the US military has pulled. Would assume everyone in Washington and Kabul makes the right noises for a while, and then goes back to the business at hand, of killing as many Taliban as possible.

This is hardly a My Lai.

Try them, convict them if warranted, send them to a water sports torture party in San Francisco if they have a sense of humor, but just deal with it, and move on. This isn't My Lai, it isn't Abu Graib, it's some brave young fighting men under severe war stress who made an unacceptable mistake.

Edited by Jingthing

A baiting post has been deleted.

Please address your comments to the OP and stop baiting and inflaming individual posters. Everyone has the right to their opinion....on the topic....not on other posters.

Bringing up acts committed by others, pointing out that they are young men in combat, only serves to put things into perspective. Mitigation does not change guilt to innocence in a court of law, but it can affect punishment.

In my opinion they should be punished but politics should be ignored and the fact that they risked their lives for their country and that their offense was pretty minor should be strongly taken into consideration.

A few months in a harsh Marine Brig would be a lot more than they deserve - IMO - but should warn other soldiers against making the military look bad by pulling stupid stunts like this one..

Sorry, I didn't realise that America was under threat of invasion by anyone!

These soldiers are not risking their lives for their country, as far as I can see they are just another gang of 'out of control' thugs.

Edited by ludditeman
  • Like 1

Bringing up acts committed by others, pointing out that they are young men in combat, only serves to put things into perspective. Mitigation does not change guilt to innocence in a court of law, but it can affect punishment.

In my opinion they should be punished but politics should be ignored and the fact that they risked their lives for their country and that their offense was pretty minor should be strongly taken into consideration.

A few months in a harsh Marine Brig would be a lot more than they deserve - IMO - but should warn other soldiers against making the military look bad by pulling stupid stunts like this one..

Sorry, I didn't realise that America was under threat of invasion by anyone!

These soldiers are not risking their lives for their country, as far as I can see they are just another gang of 'out of control' thugs.

so how long have you been pro slavery, pro wife beating, pro child brides, pro genocide of innocent people, pro forced over breeding, pro apartheid countries, pro world domination by totalitarian theocracy and against human rights, against freedom of speech, against equal rights, against the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights

just curious

so how long have you been pro slavery, pro wife beating, pro child brides, pro genocide of innocent people, pro forced over breeding, pro apartheid countries, pro world domination by totalitarian theocracy and against human rights, against freedom of speech, against equal rights, against the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights

just curious

There is a difference between defending one's country and invading another country.

Many of the items you have listed seem to be sadly lacking in modern day America.

Pissing on the bodies of people you killed while defending THEIR country can hardly be considered the act of a civilised nation.

• Like 1

just curious

There is a difference between defending one's country and invading another country.

Many of the items you have listed seem to be sadly lacking in modern day America.

Pissing on the bodies of people you killed while defending THEIR country can hardly be considered the act of a civilised nation.

The NATO troops would not be there had not members of their organization not attacked America, the UK, Spain, etc etc etc but you knew that already,

this organization does attack countries that are not theirs all the time across the planet, not only the usa, but even here in southern thailand, again, you knew that already, they are the perps, don't hate the victims for fighting back

The NATO troops would not be there had not members of their organization not attacked America, the UK, Spain, etc etc etc but you knew that already,

this organization does attack countries that are not theirs all the time across the planet, not only the usa, but even here in southern thailand, again, you knew that already, they are the perps, don't hate the victims for fighting back

NATO is merely a puppet of America.

One day America will be punished for it's war crimes.

America has declared war on the Muslim world, logically, it is totally in order for Muslims to kill Americans wherever they can find them.

PS

I don't agree with anyone killing anyone else for any reason. On any troops entering foreign soil for any reason.

Edited by ludditeman

just curious

There is the disconnect. It is not civilized. It is not supposed to be civilized and it never will be civilized; it is war. You take a civilized kid and teach him to poop in a hole in the ground, eat snakes and kill people with his hands. That is not civilized. If the Aussies at Singapore had realized how uncivilized the Japanese were they never would have surrendered. There must be some kind of school in Aussie land that teaches people how to be naive. I know there is one in America because we surrendered at Bataan. In for a penny in for a pound. There are no rules in love or war. The winner re writes the history to look good.

i am sure all you defenders of this organization are anxious for things to get back to normal in Afghanistan, so we can have internet vids of public executions in the football stadium of the rape victims being executed for adultery while the rapist and your kind cheer on, i am sure it will all return soon, i know you are anxious but you will have to be patient

i am sure all you defenders of this organization are anxious for things to get back to normal in Afghanistan, so we can have internet vids of public executions in the football stadium of the rape victims being executed for adultery while the rapist and your kind cheer on, i am sure it will all return soon, i know you are anxious but you will have to be patient

Their country, their rules, not Americas business.

Didn't America cause millions of people in Afganistan to stave to death by blockading food a few years back?

America has declared war on the Muslim world, logically, it is totally in order for Muslims to kill Americans wherever they can find them.

PS

I don't agree with anyone killing anyone else for any reason. On any troops entering foreign soil for any reason.

it is that organization that declared war on the USA, the west, Israel, and any area that do not belong to their organization, on a daily basis, hell, so did the founder of the organization, peace was never an option for this organization, world domination or death, but you knew that already

Much ado about nothing. A stupid prank by a few nitwits, but urinating on dead terrorists is nothing compared to the egregious acts of violence perpetrated against women by the Taliban, including rape, abduction, and forced marriage.

Ah, the rather high school-ish "well they did worse" argument. Sorry, but this relentless "eye for an eye" nonsense has got to stop. The US pretends to have some moral foundation guiding them through their relentless desire to dominate the planet, yet they seldom take the moral high ground. You can rest assured that this was not one isolated event. This was merely one caught on flim. As an American expat, I am thoroughly disgusted by my country's presence in the Middle East as well as the actions of the Military in general.

• Like 2

Their country, their rules, not Americas business.

Didn't America cause millions of people in Afganistan to stave to death by blockading food a few years back?

another proud defender of that organisation's sanctioned human right abuses under the guise of a religion,

try to stay in reality, it is impossible for America blockade Afghanistan, surrounded by countries belonging to the same organization, good one, just demonstrating more of that organizations deceit and lies are acceptable to non members

Edited by wxyz

PS

it is that organization that declared war on the USA, the west, Israel, and any area that do not belong to their organization, on a daily basis, hell, so did the founder of the organization, peace was never an option for this organization, world domination or death, but you knew that already

Would you kindly provide a link indicating the dead afghanis were members or ANY organisation? As far as I can tell from reports, no one knows if they were Taliban.

So jumping the gun a bit aren't you?

PS

The Chinese want the resources of Australia. Without America they would steal them. The Aussies know this and it's why they became such close allies of America when British strength was diminished. Taipei same thing. Thailand same thing. Why do you think Thailand is not like Laos, Cambodia and Burma?

PS

Would you kindly provide a link indicating the dead afghanis were members or ANY organisation? As far as I can tell from reports, no one knows if they were Taliban.

So jumping the gun a bit aren't you?

you can do your own internet searches, but i am sure no amount of truth you may find will sway you,

but should you have honor, and search for the truth with an open mind, you might possibly find the truth, good luck

you can do your own internet searches, but i am sure no amount of truth you may find will sway you,

but should you have honor, and search for the truth with an open mind, you might possibly find the truth, good luck

You are making a claim as fact and I'm asking you to provide proof. From my reading the reports it is unclear who the fighters were.

As an example, here is my link indicating they don't know if the dead were in fact Taliban. True some reports just state they are Taliban as it is assumed but in fact no one has found out yet. But as you say, up to you to open your mind if you want to find the truth.

It is not clear who the dead Afghans are. They are possibly Taliban fighters but their corpses are not shown with weapons.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/12/karzai-condemnation-video-urination-corpses?newsfeed=true

You are making a claim as fact and I'm asking you to provide proof. From my reading the reports it is unclear who the fighters were.

As an example, here is my link indicating they don't know if the dead were in fact Taliban. True some reports just state they are Taliban as it is assumed but in fact no one has found out yet. But as you say, up to you to open your mind if you want to find the truth.

It is not clear who the dead Afghans are. They are possibly Taliban fighters but their corpses are not shown with weapons.

http://www.guardian....s?newsfeed=true

you would not remove weapons from them, even if you thought they were dead? you would not last long in any war