Tourist Visa Extension Chiang Mai

Hi,

me and my girlfriend are going to extend our visa's. Im on a single entry and she is on a triple entry.

I actually got stuck with a single entry as i didnt renew passport in time and i couldnt get a single entry. So i had to get my passport renewed just recently while i was over here.

So i have to get my visa transferred from my old passport to my new passport and then get both our passports extended. I read elsewhere this is what i need:

1) You need to complete this form:

Extension of Temporary Stay in The Kingdom Application Form (TM. 7)

(make sure you print it double sided)

2) One photo (4x5cm, but they seem flexible on exact size)

3) Photocopies of your passport (photo page, current visa, immigration card)

4) Original Passport + immigration card

5) THB1,900

Ok couple of questions, where in chiang mai is the immigration office.

Can i get the visa transferred to my new passport all the same time as i get the extension

What should i put for the reason for extension in that form?

How long does it normally take

And finally and most importantly do they only open Monday to Friday?

If so then i need to get down there today because the visa expires on the 16th and thats Monday so i would appreciate a quick reply

Thanks

They will not transfer the visa itself to the new passport, but the details and extension of stay will be in your new passport. Take both passports with you of course.

No particulair reason is needed, jsut say to travel in Thailand longer.

Immigration in Chaing Mai is about 500 meters past Central Airport on the way to the Airport, on the same side of the road as Central.

The process won't take long, the waiting might take a while.

Service is only on working days.

They have a copy and photo center on site cheaper than in town. Just hand over passports tell the girl extension she knows what to do. It is on the way to airport just get a red taxi and say immigration or airport. Sign all copies and put your phone number on tm7.

Thanks guys and while im at it. giving i have a single entry and my girlfriend has a triple entry my plan is to do a border run from Chiang Mai and she is just going to use her 2nd entry and i planned on getting a double entry so well both then basically be on the same visas.

Will there be an issues with this considering my new passport or in general.

Will i need a visa to enter the country im doing the border run to even though im basically going to be in and out. Ive no idea where is the best place to do that from Chiang Mai.

Just concerned that i only have a single entry and not sure if you can just add a double entry to it or what normally happens?

you will have to apply for a new double entry tourist visa and as soon as you exit on your current visa it is void.

i suspect the triple entry has a validity of 6 months from issue and the new double visa you will get will have a 3 month validity ,

you need to think about when the visas are going to expire and if your doing any more extensions.

with the triple entry are you going to extend that each time and on the last day or so it expires (enter beofore date on visa) do the final entry making your stay in thailand as long as possible ? if you are then need to make sure both visas are valid for your plans.

Thanks guys, if it helps anyone after sitting in a queue for 30-40 mins and getting to the counter i was informed i had to go to a different counter to transfer my visa to the new passport first before i could go back to the original counter for the extension, i thought they would do it all there and then.

All in all went smooth enough considering how busy it was.

Hate to ask again but i dont want to mess this up and want to make sure i understand properly.

Back home if i wanted a double entry visa it would take several days to process, so can i really just show up on the day at the border and ask for one and theyll process it there and then or do i need to order in advance?

My main worry is ill get there and theyll go no i cant issue a visa and ill end up stuck in Laos

You can not obtain any visa at a border crossing - you must apply at a Consulate in morning and most issue the next workday.

Ok so for example if im going to Laos, i get there, apply for a visa at the nearest thai consulate and i should have it the next working day? So that rules out a day trip, if it has to be done it has to be done but is there another way around it, can i apply in advance by post or something or does it have to be in person.

If its in person where is the nearest Thai Consulate in Laos or should i try a different border run to another country where the Thai consulate is closer or that do same day processing?

You must exit/apply at consulate/return. Both Vientiane and Savannakhet Thai Consulates are minutes from border crossing (although Vientiane is a bit further as not directly across river). In both you apply in morning and obtain next workday afternoon. Although you could use an agent once in Laos if they offer same day service it will be at a corrupt fee and I would not trust my passport to them. Plan on a nights stay and be safe.

Great, thanks for clearing that up. Guess its not the end of the world to stay overnight, would rather keep it legit.

Whats internet like in Laos, any good or hit and miss. I kind of need decent internet connection if im staying overnight.

Regarding Vientiane and Savannakhet, are they both similar in terms of hassle, is there ever much hassle with going back over the border or getting visas, do they randomly refuse people or only if there is something dodgy with them.

Morny

internet in vientiane is okay, coffee shops and larger hotels etc many internet cafes also.

you should check out nok air asap (chiang mai to udon thani) they have some good flights for you on the 7th and 8th of feb. 2200 baht return and the times are perfect. there's a mini bus service from the airport to the border for 150 baht, then you can get a taxi direct to the embassy before 11:30.

or you can take the night bus and taxis etc but it's a lot of hassle and if you want to get to the embassy in the morning will end up costing about the same.

laos costs 35$ to enter.

i haven't been to Savannakhet.

any questions please ask,