Chalerm Denies Threat Of Terror: Thailand

webfact

Sweden says Thai attack suspect may be a Swede

STOCKHOLM, January 14, 2012 (AFP) - A suspect arrested in Thailand this week after the United States warned of a threat against tourists in the kingdom is the holder of a Swedish passport, Sweden's foreign ministry said Saturday.

"A person with a Swedish passport has been arrested. We are trying to figure out who he is," foreign ministry spokesman Andre Mkandawire told AFP.

"We have received information to that effect but the embassy is trying to figure out if the information is correct," he added.

Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung had told AFP by telephone Friday that the suspect detained on Thursday was from Lebanon.

"We already have one suspect in custody for interrogation at a government building in Bangkok. He is a Hezbollah from Lebanon," he said.

Mkandawire said Swedish embassy officials were trying to work out the confusion.

"It could be that he has dual citizenship, or it may be that he is a Swede of foreign origin," he explained.

Embassy officials "hope to be able to meet with him over the weekend but that may not happen until Monday," Mkandawire said, adding that the matter was "sensitive."

A senior Thai intelligence officer who did not want to be named told AFP that the kingdom had been informed before the New Year by Israel of a possible threat.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-01-14

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On what grounds are they going to kick him out of the country - if nothing he did violated any laws?

Let me check ... yes. Conspiracy to commit terrorism?

Ah, but based on what? An alert from the US. No evidence and only conjecture.

Not saying her won't be deported, but as far as the evidence that has been made public this man has not committed any crime in Thailand and has no outstanding arrest warrants.

Tony Blair will arrive in Bangkok on Tuesday to deliver a business speech at a top notch hotel. As he and the previous us president were the ones in power when the war on Iraq started, maybe this has something to do with the heighten terrorist threat. If I were Blair I'd take the low profile life, his and bushes unpopular war in Iraq and Afganistian have surely created alot of angry terrorists looking for revenge. Hope Blair has bought along his bodyguards, he's a brave chap in this dangerous world we live in.

If the authorities are so 'stupid' here and unable to protect you from 'terrorists' and actually put your life in danger then why choose this place to live here? That sounds rather stupid to me.

Because that is the VERY reason many choose to call Thailand their home. Quite easy for undesirables to enter and enjoy all that Thailand has to offer without worrying about the cops that can't shoot straight causing any problems for them. Even if caught, the BiB are quite easy to bribe and go on your way.

Tony Blair will arrive in Bangkok on Tuesday to deliver a business speech at a top notch hotel. As he and the previous us president were the ones in power when the war on Iraq started, maybe this has something to do with the heighten terrorist threat. If I were Blair I'd take the low profile life, his and bushes unpopular war in Iraq and Afganistian have surely created alot of angry terrorists looking for revenge. Hope Blair has bought along his bodyguards, he's a brave chap in this dangerous world we live in.

He's a clown and stooge of the war and fear mongers, - aka Z's NWO, member of Bilderbergers, CFR (like Khun T), Bohemian club and others.

On what grounds are they going to kick him out of the country - if nothing he did violated any laws?

Let me check ... yes. Conspiracy to commit terrorism?

Ah, but based on what? An alert from the US. No evidence and only conjecture.

Not saying her won't be deported, but as far as the evidence that has been made public this man has not committed any crime in Thailand and has no outstanding arrest warrants.

Bloomberg news.

Hussein “plotted to create chaos in Bangkok and the plan was terminated after the arrest,” Police Chief Priewphan Damaphong said, naming the tourist area of Khao San Road and downtown street Sukhumvit 22 as potential targets

...In your dreams will I trust the Thai government's comments on anything after their "expert" advice on the floods.

Hezbollah is only for few countries, Israel, USA, Canada a terrorist organisation.

They are part of the elected government in Lebanon. Thailand has no problem with them and they are no threat to Thailand.

Actually a few more countries - http://en.wikipedia....stance_movement

As to "not posing a threat", you may want to read up on the bombings in Argentina (1992, 1994) - Israeli and Jewish targets, quite a few non-both died as well. Terrorists aren't that good with aiming.

Yes, collateral damage isn't a big concern for them.

This has to be the quote of the day "Yes, collateral damage isn't a big concern for them."

Do I need to explain it?

Korea, Vietnam, Loas, Cambodia, Gaza, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan...........how many millions?

• Like 1

This has to be the quote of the day "Yes, collateral damage isn't a big concern for them."

Do I need to explain it?

Korea, Vietnam, Loas, Cambodia, Gaza, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan...........how many millions?

Right on schedule. Saw that coming about a million miles away. Pity isn't it that this thread doesn't happen to be about: Korea, Vietnam, Loas, Cambodia, Gaza, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan.

Think he is more of a politician and opportunist , than a brave chap.

Personally I think he should be on trial and paying for expensive lawyers.

It is already quoted that he carried out no crimes here - which leaves me to question why 'conspiracy to commit...' or 'planning to...' doesn't exist as a charge here - so that clearly isn't the legal reason.

The officials being quoted as saying those kinds of things about having broken no laws aren't exactly the brightest or most impartial apples in the bunch.

Government officials here say incorrect and inaccurate things all the time in public statements, as if them saying them would automatically make them true -- the actual facts not withstanding.

I have little doubt that Thailand has some kind of legal measure capable of producing a conspiracy type criminal charge, or something similar based on planning/intent or threatening harm to Thai society.

So then there'd be two questions:

1. Do the authorities involved have enough evidence, or do they believe they will be able to produce enough evidence, to bring such a charge. And/or...

2. Issues of evidence aside, do they have any desire to bring a criminal prosecution against a suspected Lebanese terrorist... Based on the government's past handling of the 1972 Israeli Embassy attack in BKK, it would seem their preferred method is to simply get rid of the people, not not mess their hair with an international criminal case.

In this case, perhaps the only way they got some supposed admission from the suspect in custody was to promise him that he'd face no criminal charges and was only being held on immigration grounds. Or that if he cooperated with them some, they'd basically let him go.

I am sorry if you don't get it. This isn't about Thailand.

No, you don't get it. Iran would have no reason to sanction an attack within Thailand because there would be no reason for them to strain Thai-Iranian relations.

Has it occurred to you that terrorists rarely broadcast their intent or their nationality when planning or caring out an attack? Had any attack taken place I doubt that Ahmadinejad would have been on the tube taking credit for it.

Also, if these suspected "terrorists" are state-sponsored, I would think that Thai-Iranian relations are in the toilet anyway.

Actually Thai- Iran relations are quite good. Particularly in the area of trade relations.

Not surprised. There are Jewish targets in both Chiang Mai and Phuket.

so WHAT are the Jewish TARGETS in Phuket?

The only jewish thing I know here is a place called family restaurant with a very kind jewish owner....the whole story is a made

up by the US and Israel government like so many others since 2001...

I personally hope the israelis stay away here anyway....met only not so nice people from there, to say it in a nice way.jap.gif

+++++++++++++++++

I belive in the elves and dwarfs happy land

Believe me, there are some Jewish targets there. Not going to point them out. I'm sure Hezbollah would have no problem locating them as well. You don't like Israeli people, eh? Why am I not surprised? Cheers.

sorry but I dont just BELIVE you.

And yes, u are <deleted>...g right, I dont like them and I have more than one reason for it, we can discuss in PM or private if you like but it is OFF TOPIC here.

Fact ist you dont know what you are talking about...there are no synagoges nor other big jewish enviroments here in Phuket but to say so gives you another post...obviously all what counts for you....otherwise I cant explain to myself how someone made close to 30,000 posts here...may be you should leave your PC sometimes and get a life....belive me, there is something nice about Thailand away from your PC.... Typed the same thing yesterday but was deleted faster as I can say sorry for the harsh words giggle.gif TV is not what it was once, its becoming more and more a speaking tube of the USAmerican (Jewish) Massmedia ... c u in 4 weeks

Seems to me that intention to commit a crime is a crime right? Or does that not hold water in Thailand?

Since they are not charging him with that and there was some word that this might not be a crime...or atleast the official word was that 'he hadn't committed any crime'...as oddly as it seems, it might not be a crime.

It is already quoted that he carried out no crimes here - which leaves me to question why 'conspiracy to commit...' or 'planning to...' doesn't exist as a charge here - so that clearly isn't the legal reason.

The officials being quoted as saying those kinds of things about having broken no laws aren't exactly the brightest or most impartial apples in the bunch.

Government officials here say incorrect and inaccurate things all the time in public statements, as if them saying them would automatically make them true -- the actual facts not withstanding.

I have little doubt that Thailand has some kind of legal measure capable of producing a conspiracy type criminal charge, or something similar based on planning/intent or threatening harm to Thai society.

So then there'd be two questions:

1. Do the authorities involved have enough evidence, or do they believe they will be able to produce enough evidence, to bring such a charge. And/or...

2. Issues of evidence aside, do they have any desire to bring a criminal prosecution against a suspected Lebanese terrorist... Based on the government's past handling of the 1972 Israeli Embassy attack in BKK, it would seem their preferred method is to simply get rid of the people, not not mess their hair with an international criminal case.

In this case, perhaps the only way they got some supposed admission from the suspect in custody was to promise him that he'd face no criminal charges and was only being held on immigration grounds. Or that if he cooperated with them some, they'd basically let him go.

You might be absolute correct that it might be a crime and technically he has committed one. But that officials and others are too incompetent here. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Where is a Thai lawyer when you need one? Sorry, I find it hard to believe that confessing to being involved in a plot to mass murder people is not a crime in Thailand, or any country. I don't think the fact that they released this guy proves it isn't.

Thailand isn't the USA. 'Thailand' doesn't think the way the 'USA' thinks. That doesn't make 'Thailand' or its authorities stupid. Is that so difficult to understand?

Thailand 's authorities are not described as "stupid" because they don't think the way the USA thinks. They are described as stupid because they behave stupidly.

They release a suspect who has ( if reports are true, and this is, of course, not guaranteed) apparently admitted to planning to detonate an explosive device as an act of terrorism. It is hard to imagine a responsible world state where conspiracy to commit terrorist atrocities is not a crime.

If it is not a crime in Thailand then the authorities are "stupid".

OR...just another way not to loose face.... No idea what the farang living here are always expecting...if you dont like it the ThaiWay...PLEASE take the consequences and just LEAVE for your own country if there is everything better...but dont tell us always the Thaiauthorities are behaving stupid...they are not stupid, they just work the Asian way....thats why many of us living here btw..... I hate all this new traffic lights btw.... stupid farang invention

This thing about losing face has not been mentioned much here, as it is something that most of us don't understand, but is hugely important in this part of the world.

The fact that we don't place much importance on it, gives us a twisted view of people and events here.

Maybe that is why we have these wars, or "terrorism" as we chose to call it here.

We are bought up with different values, "give me a child until he is 7 and I have him for life". I for one cannot get my head around it and this is the fifth country I have lived in and consider myself quite adaptable.

I try hard to avoid slagging off the Thais and their ways, I choose to live here and must surely accept this, as part of their way of life.

.........Even though it is a frustrating as a one legged man at an ar*e kicking contest.

So many words and so little substance from the top brass ........situation normal then.

Permanent pantomime with a mediocre cast and transparent distraction from the real social, economic and moral dilemnas that continue to infuriate the masses and fill the media.

LOS knocks any soap or reality telly into a cocked hat - with decent beer to lubricate the indignation. Love it or leave it....up to us.

Cheers,

Brewsta

"A senior Thai intelligence officer, who did not want to be named, told news agency AFP that the Kingdom had been informed before the New Year by Israel of a possible threat. The suspect was detained on Thursday while the other man had already fled the country, he said.

'Nothing to worry about' "

For some reason that comment DOES make me worried.

LOL yes I agree

Nothing to worry about. Terrorism won't happen here, "we won't allow it to do so." Quite preposterous remarks from any official government spokesperson. Here is the actual article in the NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/14/world/asia/arrest-in-thailand-after-us-terror-alert.html?_r=1&emc=tnt&tntemail1=y - You will note that the Israelis are taking the terrorist activity in Thailand very seriously as is the US. They have been been monitoring the group's activities in cocaine trade and trafficking in Bangkok as well as money laundering. Fairly typical activities that fund terrorism.

Let me throw an interesting side question onto the table...

When this thing first erupted yesterday, before the Israel target angle was known, a lot of folks were speculating that tourist places like Nana, Cowboy and/or Patpong might be potential targets... And that set me to thinking...

While I'm no bar scene expert, I always read about a large group of Soi Cowboy bars being owned/run by the "Arab Group." And when I did a bit of Googling last night, I saw one reference to some Iranian individual being behind that whole thing, whatever it is....

So I was just wondering, does anyone know what exactly the "Arab Group" behind Soi Cowboy is.... And if there's an Iranian connection there (unless I suppose it happened to be an Iranian Jew), then one might assume that Cowboy would be off-limits as targets to any clued-in Iran-Lebanon-Hezbollah types.

Thoughts? Facts? Opinions?

The Arab, as he is called owns SOME of the bars, but not all. I cannot recall the exact number of bars. I don't know much else, as I stopped going to these places many moons ago, it was more a passing curiousity on my first few trips into the Kingdom. But surely a place for colaborators to clean money and further finance operations against "kaffir" one would imagine.

If I recall Arabs bars are mostly centered around the upper part of Cowboy, towards the end with the very nice looking restaurant that I never went into because it was too expensive for what it was.

Think he is more of a politician and opportunist , than a brave chap.

Personally I think he should be on trial and paying for expensive lawyers.

He had declared earnings of 12,000,000 last year. Paid 300,000 tax . 3% tax rate. Thats Mr Blair. Everyone else in the UK pays about 25% if you are on a low wage.

Thailand isn't the USA. 'Thailand' doesn't think the way the 'USA' thinks. That doesn't make 'Thailand' or its authorities stupid. Is that so difficult to understand?

Thailand 's authorities are not described as "stupid" because they don't think the way the USA thinks. They are described as stupid because they behave stupidly.

They release a suspect who has ( if reports are true, and this is, of course, not guaranteed) apparently admitted to planning to detonate an explosive device as an act of terrorism. It is hard to imagine a responsible world state where conspiracy to commit terrorist atrocities is not a crime.

Don't forget about letting a convicted criminal leave the country with passport and suitcases full of cash to go see the Olympics, never to return. Seems pretty stupid to me.

If the authorities are so 'stupid' here and unable to protect you from 'terrorists' and actually put your life in danger then why choose this place to live here? That sounds rather stupid to me.

Do you think this man gives a shit about farangs? My families safety? I take security very seriously for me and my family and would not allow anyone to put them in any situation that may put them in harms way. If you could actually do some research as to whom you have running the place, it sure aint Yingluck, you might be a bit worried yourself.

Edited by FOODLOVER

OR...just another way not to loose face.... No idea what the farang living here are always expecting...if you dont like it the ThaiWay...PLEASE take the consequences and just LEAVE for your own country if there is everything better...but dont tell us always the Thaiauthorities are behaving stupid...they are not stupid, they just work the Asian way....thats why many of us living here btw..... I hate all this new traffic lights btw.... stupid farang invention

Because the Thai authorities work the Asian way, Thailand remains a third world country; the cost of living is inexpensive and I love it!

Thai Foreign Minister upset that Embassies are warning their citizens........

"The warnings irked Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, who said Saturday that he was "disappointed" that embassies have not consulted the Foreign Ministry according to diplomatic convention before issuing the warnings".

Mr Surapong insisted that Thai security agencies have known about the terrorist plot for a while and have been tracing a group of suspects. He said tourists and investors can have confidence in Thailand's security measures."

Then, they let one get away.

<br />
<br />
<br />Thailand isn't the USA. 'Thailand' doesn't think the way the 'USA' thinks. That doesn't make 'Thailand' or its authorities stupid. Is that so difficult to understand?<br />
<br /><br />Thailand 's authorities are not described as "stupid" because they don't think the way the USA thinks. They are described as stupid because they behave stupidly.<br /><br />They release a suspect who has ( if reports are true, and this is, of course, not guaranteed) apparently admitted to planning to detonate an explosive device as an act of terrorism. It is hard to imagine a responsible world state where conspiracy to commit terrorist atrocities is not a crime.<br /><br />If it is not a crime in Thailand then the authorities are "stupid".<br />
<br /><br />OR...just another way not to loose face.... No idea what the farang living here are always expecting...if you dont like it the ThaiWay...PLEASE take the consequences and just LEAVE for your own country if there is everything better...but dont tell us always the Thaiauthorities are behaving stupid...they are not stupid, they just work the Asian way....thats why many of us living here btw..... I hate all this new traffic lights btw.... stupid farang invention<br />
Because the Thai authorities work the Asian way, Thailand remains a third world country; the cost of living is inexpensive and I love it!

+1

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV app.

Edited by 4evermaat

Thailand beefs up security after warning of attack

Reuters Updated January 15, 2012, 8:24 am

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai authorities have beefed up security in parts of the capital and other areas popular with tourists after the United States and Israel warned of a possible terrorist attack.

The army was helping the police in providing security, army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters on Saturday.

"People must be on alert and report anything suspicious," he said.

http://au.yahoo.com/s/363829

Something could happen somewhere. The USA and Israel are desperate to launch an attack on Iran. It would help the cause if there was some sort of incident, many nationalities involved.

Now that has a ring of truth about it, they do need an excuse, Mr.Dinnerjacket hasn't been provocative enough yet, to justify an invasion to grab his oil. They can't use the phony WMD story twice, only trouble is maybe they need a Republican government to pull it off, so this could be round one. leading up to the US elections.