Please Confirm If I Am On The Right Track....

Hi everyone,

I am arriving in Bangkok in 2 weeks with the intention of teaching English. I have done a lot of research but keep running across a lot of conflicting information and I was hoping someone here could confirm what I (think!) I know.

From my research I gather that it is better to find employment once in Thailand. From then the next step is to obtain a work permit and teachers license which your school will usually organize. After that the next step is to visit a neighboring country to obtain the non-B visa.

I called the Thai consulate in Hull who were not very helpful at all. Two days ago I spoke to the Thai Consulate in Glasgow who were even worse!

I am flying with Air Asia and I have a one way ticket from London to Bangkok. I understand that some airlines will not allow you to fly without proof of onward travel unless you already have a visa. Has anyone here experienced this with Air Asia?

When i spoke to the Thai Consulate in Glasgow I was informed that the visa process usually only takes a couple of days. I was planning to apply for a double entry visa as this is what I read was the best thing to do. I am a little confused however, about what this actually means.

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

With no job offer your only option is a Tourist Visa, these are available in single or dual entry (occasionally triple may be available). Each entry allows a stay of up to 60 days which can be extended by another 30 days with a visit to immigration and 1900 Baht.

When the 90 days from entry one plus extension are up you need to leave the country and re-enter to activate the second entry, this must be done before the 'enter before' date on the visa even if your current permission to stay has not expired.

Hull (and possibly other consulates) will issue a visa in 1/2 an hour or so (need an appointment), but it's usually less than a week including post in both directions. Don't apply too early, the visa validity period starts on the day of issue.

Having a visa will negate any issues you may have with a one way ticket.

Have a look in the Thaivisa teaching forum http://www.thaivisa....thailand-forum/ for the requirements for qualifications etc.

Thank you so much for your replies. I was going to apply for a double entry visa but after reading your advice I will apply for the standard tourist visa. I was apprehensive about applying for this as I thought it would only allow me entry for 30 days. I had read elsewhere that it entitled you 60 days and somewhere else said 90 days so I was confused.

It's starting to feel like sometimes you can research too much!

Thanks again, you have certainly helped me de-stress slightly! :)

If you don't have a specific job offer I would get at least a double entry Tourist Visa to give you time to find a position. That will give you two x 60 days + 30 days extension, about 6 months.

Once you get your job offer you will need to go to a consulate in a neighbouring country for a B visa against which you can get a work permit.

• Like 2

Mhairi - get a double entry at least. Single entry 60 days (extendable in-country to 90) may sound like a long time but trust me it will fly by - and if you haven't found a job by then you'll have to do far less convenient border runs (by road for 15 day extensions or by air for 30 day extensions) or go to a neighbouring country for a new tourist visa. Much easier to get a double entry now. If you haven't found work in 6 months, give up. :) But 3 months maybe cutting it fine.

I'm more concerned, however, about your ticket. I think you may have been given a bum steer on the ticket issue. It is the airlines, not immigration as such, who enforce the "ticket out" policy. If someone is found here illegally and they don't have a ticket out, the airline that brought them in gets punished. That's why the airlines insist on a return ticket (or an outward bound from Thailand ticket) to even let you on the plane. If I am not wrong this applies to ALL types of tourist visa. You can only have a one way ticket if you're on a long term non-immigrant visa. I could be wrong but do double check or you might find yourself at check-in being denied a boarding pass.

Most public schools are closed part of March and all of April, with the new school year starting 1 May. It would be best if you did get at least a double entry visa so that it will give you time to look. There won't be much available until the start of the new term in May.

Mhairi - get a double entry at least. Single entry 60 days (extendable in-country to 90) may sound like a long time but trust me it will fly by - and if you haven't found a job by then you'll have to do far less convenient border runs (by road for 15 day extensions or by air for 30 day extensions) or go to a neighbouring country for a new tourist visa. Much easier to get a double entry now. If you haven't found work in 6 months, give up. smile.png But 3 months maybe cutting it fine.

I'm more concerned, however, about your ticket. I think you may have been given a bum steer on the ticket issue. It is the airlines, not immigration as such, who enforce the "ticket out" policy. If someone is found here illegally and they don't have a ticket out, the airline that brought them in gets punished. That's why the airlines insist on a return ticket (or an outward bound from Thailand ticket) to even let you on the plane. If I am not wrong this applies to ALL types of tourist visa. You can only have a one way ticket if you're on a long term non-immigrant visa. I could be wrong but do double check or you might find yourself at check-in being denied a boarding pass.

Good advice about getting at least a double entry tourist visa.

Not sure why you’re saying that she got a bum steer on the ticket issue though. The OP has got it right about the possibility of being denied boarding a flight to Thailand with a one way ticket and no visa. This has nothing to do with someone later being found here on overstay and the airline being punished for bringing them here. The reason for this, is that the airline that brought a person over here, is responsible to fly them back home again if the passenger in question wouldn’t be allowed entry at immigration. That’s why most airlines require you to have an onward ticket out of Thailand, if you’re only in possession of a one way ticket and no visa. You don’t need a nonimmigrant visa to utilize a one way ticket, any type of visa will do and a single tourist would do just fine.

Edited by MTH

Sorry bobl, but you are wrong!

With a visa you do not need an outward bound ticket.

Such a ticket is required (normally) for visa exempt entry.

No need to be sorry, I frequently am... :)

Good to know about the visa/ticket issue. Wondering why Oman Air insisted I have an outward ticket last time I flew out of Tanzania (with a valid visa). Time before I came with Emirates with a one way, no issues...

I didn't want to go straight back to Tanzania, my next stop was going to be UK, Hong Kong or Korea - but I had literally 5 minutes to sort things out so ended up simply upgrading my ticket to a return that I probably won't use...

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

The reason for this, is that the airline that brought a person over here, is responsible to fly them back home again if the passenger in question wouldn’t be allowed entry at immigration. That’s why most airlines require you to have an onward ticket out of Thailand, if you’re only in possession of a one way ticket and no visa. You don’t need a nonimmigrant visa to utilize a one way ticket, any type of visa will do and a single tourist would do just fine.

That is exactly why.

However a double entry tourist visa would allow two 60 day entries with the possibility of 30 extension on each...which would be (60 plus 30=90) plus (60 plus 30=90) or a total of 180 days.

It would require a border run...going to the nearest Thai border...exiting Thailand and getting a visa for that country...then imeadiately returning to Thailand...which would activate that 2nd entry visa for another 60 days.

This can be done from Bangkok in a day trip...usually about 12 hours or so to the Cambodian border.....from visa run services that do it for a living...all inclusive including the Cambodian visa.

With a double-entry tourist visa do that boder run on the 89th day of your first 90 day entry plus extension...to maximise your time.

Be very careful about that triple entry. It will have a expiration date. If that expiration date is the 180th day...you will not be able to get that 3rd extension...because ALL 3 entries on a triple entry visa must be used BEFORE that expiration date.

And on a double entry or a triple entry visa ...the clock starts counting down from the date the Thai consulate issues you the visa toward it's expiration date.

wai.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

how long are you thinking of staying in thailand ?

if it's possibly a long time then get a triple tourist visa which will be good for approx. 9 months if used correctly,

if you only get a double you may look back and wish that for a little bit

extra money you should have got the triple.

your coming with air asia right ? you wont have the same problem boarding the plane from uk to KL.

(it's long haul flights into thailand where they check for visa or onward travel with in 30 days)

anyway if you get a visa no problem,

apply through the post only takes 3-4 working days - send monday morning first class, apply 1-2 weeks b4 travel.

don't say you maybe working , just say your on holiday and mention a few holiday destinations.

i have used hull with no problems.

good luck

chris

hi,

all tourist visas are 60 days per entry with an option to add 30 days hence some people call them 90 days.

if you want to stay a long time people extend each entry costing 1900 baht a go.

from the u.k is your only chance to get a tripple so if you want to stay a long time i'd recomend getting one.

any questions please ask but will need some info. from you to give proper advice.

:)

if you don't get a visa then air asia may ask about your return ticket with in 30 days, it depends if you have a fly thru ticket from london to bkk ?

or you may have to check in again at KL ?

call hull and ask them how to apply thru the post, they should send you some info. thru e-mail.

i don't know if you have worked out the jargon yet and how to use tourist visas ? but a double entry means you can enter thailand twice,

you have to pop out of thailand and back in to activate your next stay which is 60 days with option to add another 30.

from bkk you can goto cambodia or burma for this only takes a day or you can visit another country for longer if you want.

many options

• Like 1

Again, thank you everyone for the solid advice. This forum is really friendly and helpful (unlike some others!) and I'm really glad I came across it.

I will apply for the double visa and will cross my fingers that i manage to get a job quickly!

wai.gif

Edited by MhairiBeaton

Sorry bobl, but you are wrong!

With a visa you do not need an outward bound ticket.

Such a ticket is required (normally) for visa exempt entry.

He's not wrong. Whilst you don't need a return ticket as far as Thai immigration policy is concerned , some airlines will still insist that you have one unless you are in possession of a non-immigrant visa, as bobl stated. Emirates is one such airline.

(By the way, you always need an outward bound ticket unless you are not going anywhere!)

EDIT: Whether or not Emirates check-in staff always enforce this rule, I couldn't say. However, when I called their head office the last time I travelled with them they were adamant that I would need a return ticket, even though I told them that Thai immigration did not require me to have one. I decided to get a non-immigrant visa instead of a tourist visa as I had originally planned, rather than go to the airport and find out if they stuck to their rules or not.

**Having re-read bobl's post I can see that Emirates don't stick to their own policy all the time, unless it has changed since I last travelled with them

Edited by inthepink

Some airlines will still insist that you have one unless you are in possession of a non-immigrant visa, as bobl stated. Emirates is one such airline.

That clarifies a bit of confusion...

So for Mhairi's sake - it appears to be worth checking with whatever airline you're coming on, whether they'll let you board with a tourist visa and a one way ticket.

Some airlines will still insist that you have one unless you are in possession of a non-immigrant visa, as bobl stated. Emirates is one such airline.

That clarifies a bit of confusion...

So for Mhairi's sake - it appears to be worth checking with whatever airline you're coming on, whether they'll let you board with a tourist visa and a one way ticket.

Yes...although if you travelled with Emirates on a one-way ticket with a tourist visa and they told me that I couldn't do that, even asking them doesn't seem to be a foolproof way of finding out what the requirements are! But yes, it is the airline that could turn you away and not Thai immigration.

"Once you get your job offer you will need to go to a consulate in a neighbouring country for a B visa against which you can get a work permit."

You'll probably have to apply for the WP prior to going to the consulate. The Labor office will give you Form WP3, which the consulate will want to see. Once you get the visa, return to the Labor Office and pick up the WP. It's a pre-approval thing.

it maybe an idea to call air asia and see if everythings ok or maybe print off there policy to show the check in clerk .

if you do have problems checking in aparently there's a document you can sign saying that you will pay for any fines etc and not the airline - ask to speak to a manager if the clerk is in-experienced.

at a last resort you may have to quickly buy any cheap ticket with in 30 days and hopefully you'll get a refund if you don't use it or you could use it for when you do your border run.

you could actually stay in thailand legally forever and not ever leave for example you could start a family and get married,

i think you'll be fine just need to know your rights.

you could actually stay in thailand legally forever and not ever leave for example you could start a family and get married,

i think you'll be fine just need to know your rights.

There is no such right. To stay in Thailand for marriage or family would require meeting specific conditions each year.

yes, i was just responding to in the pinks comment of ' if you don't have a onward ticket your not going anywhere '

i suspect the airlines say things like that when they are not letting you check in easily, so you can say to them it's possible to come to thailand and stay here forever under certain circumstances.

yes, i was just responding to in the pinks comment of ' if you don't have a onward ticket your not going anywhere '

Whoosh....

He didn't say that, he made a joke...

If you don't have an OUTWARD BOUND ticket, you ain't going anywhere

Think about it...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. (I haven't signed in for a couple of days) Today I will call Air Asia and ask them what their policy is on entering with a visa and one-way ticket. If it seems as though there will be a problem I will purchase a cheap ticket to a neighboring country.

I will keep you all updated! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

So I have arrived in Bangkok and thought I would let you know how I got on.

I obtained a double entry tourist visa which was very simple. I had planned to call AirAsia to ask their policy but in the end I didnt.

I didnt buy an onward ticket as I was afraid of wasting funds. Plus I figured that I would purchase a ticket there and then if required.

I flew to Gatwick from Glasgow and had 5 very tense hours of waiting. Everything was just fine, noone asked me for proof of further travel.

However, I would not take the risk again. I spent the whole journey feeling anxious and could only relax once I passed through immigration at the airport.

Thank you again for all the advice.

Now all I need to do is find a job and somewhere to live!