Why Double Entry Tv?

Ok so might be a stupid question but why would I get a double entry tv and not just get single then another when I leave on visa run?

So in oz now and can get a tv double entry valid 3 months... So I will apply 4 days before I plan to leave oz and should then get the full 90 days before I fly to kl for a night and re enter Thailand on the second part of the tv... So I'm loosing maby a day before I even go, then say 2 days getting to kl and back before the 3 month expiry..... So is it just easier to get a single tv, fly to kl and apply there for another and cone back....???!!! Ps kl can easily be exchanged for Penang or anywhere really... Cheapest air Asia destination that I can get tv ??? Also if I get the single I don't need to show the second inward flight as required on the double tv... So less planning required

Thanks all... Will be over in a few weeks

Edited by Sydneycraig

You can activate the second entry of a double entry visa at any border crossing, no need to fly anywhere if a land crossing is closer / easier / cheaper. To get a new visa you need to go somewhere with a consulate and stay at least overnight.

Are all Oz consulates now asking to see all flights associated with a double entry visa?

If I had a motorbike ( planning to buy a 250) how long does it take to ride down to the malaysian border? Is it a ok ride? Safe riding thru south Thailand ? any visa needed? Bike free to cross border as long as in my name and I have rego papers?

Cheers for the info

We don't know your location in Thailand so can not answer how long it would take to get to border and we do not know how many visas you may already have in your passport. Be aware that consulates in adjacent countries take very close looks so if you have several it would be best to arrive with what you need rather than depend on getting from a Consulate that may say no.

On your original planning you must consider the 3 months validity as you must make second entry before it expires. So you could not obtain a full 90 day stay according to your plans to arrive 4 days after visa issued.

If you want to take the bike into Malaysia, you need to bring an English translation of the green book (registration book of the bike). You will also need to buy temporary insurance for Malaysia, this is done after crossing the border, at the same you will also need to buy a Romanized translation of the number plate to stick on the bike. Most seem to also get a temporary export form, I have never used this and never been asked for one. Granted I’ve only done this in a car not on a bike, but the procedure is the same.

According to recent reports, if you have extended a tourist visa for an extra 30 days, you will most likely be denied a new tourist visa in Penang, so you would have to ride down to Kuala Lumpur to get a new tourist visa, about 600 Km from the border. Not sure about current situation in Kuta Bharu, you would have to look through the ”Latest Reports Of Getting A Visa In The Region”.

And as others have mentioned, the ride to the border will of course, among other things, depend on where you’re staying in Thailand.wink.png

Edited by MTH

i think this guys staying in phuket or maybe samui , i recognise his name from a prevous post,

he wants to know about travelling through south thailand and popping into malaysia for a border run if he gets a double visa or riding onto penang to get a new single entry tourist visa.

i think you will have have a bike in your name if you want to take it outside thailand a rental bike doubtful they will let that out of the country,

from samui i'd imagine would be a nitemare on boats etc but phuket should be dooable ?

if you only get a single and you don'y buy a bike that will mess up your palns so maybe better to get a double ? with a double you can always pop to the border and leave the bike in thailand ?

if the trip from phuket to malaysia border is easy and you come to thailand with a single entry visa here's what i would do :

fly into thailand and use the 30 days visa exempt entry (don't write the visa number on the arival card)

after 30 days ride to malaysia border maybe on a rental bike ?

activate your 60 day tourist visa

goto immigration office and extend 30 days.

so from one tourist visa you can stay 120 days

if your allowed to ride to penang go and get another single entry

when you come back into thailand either activate the visa or you could use a visa exempt entry but this time only 15 days.

are you flying to thaialnd on a one way ticket ?

i think in KL the hotels and taxi's etc are much more expensive than thailand

Thanks for the info... yes will be based in Phuket and plan to get a double entry tv and extend 30 days... Will then leave after say 85 days (allowing a few days getting visa in syd before I fly into Phuket on one way tix) with the double I can ride to border or get bus or whatever just as long as I leave Thailand to activate the 2nd tv before the 3 month expiry...

Think that's right from what everyone said :) ?!

Cheers all

yes that's right,

if you wanted to save money on the first extension you could do as i suggested but you would need an extra trip to the border if that's convenient and cost affective.

your first extension will only last for 25 days if you apply for the visa 5 days b4 you arrive.

you'll have 2 dates in your passport one will be the date the entension finishes but you have to do the border run before that date (see enter before date written on the visa - goto malaysia one day before that, after that the visa has expired).

if you goto samui you can always fly to cambodia etc to get another visa.