Transfer Money To Uk

I'm not sure if this is being posted in the correct section, but here goes.

I've lived in Thailand for three years and transferred much of my capital here to set up home and house with my Thai wife. Now we have decided to sell the house and buy in England. We propose to live in the UK for 6 months a year and at my wife's home for the other six months. OK no problem so far.

The problem arises with the transfer of funds back to the UK.

In the past I have twice attempted a transfer of funds back to my UK bank throuigh my Thai bank - small quantities of 400,000 baht. On each occassion they have delayed and prevaricated until I became so agitated that I used Western Union and sent to friends in the UK.

Once this house is sold I want to transfer about 4 million baht - to make up the shortfall in buying a UK property, but how to do it? The banks are unlikely to be helpfull and Western Union is going to be expensive. What are the restrictions in sending money out of the country? Could I carry that amount of cash with me when I go to the UK, or will the customs stop me?

Any sensible advice considered.

By the way, hi to everyone from a new member

The instructions the Banks operate under from the Bank of Thailand as regards the remittance of funds abroad are that you must show you either brought the funds into the country originally or that you legitimately earned the funds while here.

if you produce evidence you brought the funds in and produce the sale and purchase agreement on the house at a reasonably large branch of your Bank you should be able to make the transfer.

The instructions the Banks operate under from the Bank of Thailand as regards the remittance of funds abroad are that you must show you either brought the funds into the country originally or that you legitimately earned the funds while here.

if you produce evidence you brought the funds in and produce the sale and purchase agreement on the house at a reasonably large branch of your Bank you should be able to make the transfer.

Even if the proceeds are from the sale of a house which is in his wife's name so the money is effectively hers?

Even if the proceeds are from the sale of a house which is in his wife's name so the money is effectively hers?

I don't have a work permit, but I guess by going back on my wife's bank statements I can prove transfer of funds to her account by swift- well in eccess of what we shall want to transfer to the UK. Yes, the house is obviously in her name and the proceeds will go to her, so can SHE transfer the money to the UK? The purpose of which would be to buy a holiday property.