Thai Police Find Explosive Chemicals Linked To Terror Plot

webfact

The opposition Democrat Party has accused the government of misinforming the public over the terrorism threat to the country.

"The government should be more cautious over this sensitive security issue since we are being watched by the world," said opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The government had to have a clear stance and balance between the measures to provide safety in the country and relations with foreign countries.

"We need proper measures to protect our people - but for foreign countries, notably the US, we cannot allow them to guide us on any matter," he said.

I suspect that the Government already tried that and wanted handle it the Thai way and isn't very happy about how the US stepped in.

Any suggestion how to do that, Mr. Abhisit, not allow them, the US, notably, to guide us (you) on any matter ...

Protest in front of the embassy "US not for Us", "Hillary ork bai" chants and sing the national Hymn, got some fancy idea while reading the resistance handbook of the worlds leading resistance movement? It will be hard to bring that message across and to tell them that you can do it alone.

I respect the tough stance of Abhisit, the way he wanna say NO. but i like also the soft tactic of the Gov't. I think they say NO too

The correct way would have been to inform the public that there was a real threat and to tell them to be careful instead of trying to cover it up and pretend there's nothing wrong. This incompetant PT government have themselves to blame letting the US embarass them like that. If they had handled it more professionally, I'm pretty sure the US would have been more then happy to work with them.

The Thai way of handling things? Yes sabai sabai till something goes boom! That's the Thai way.

Oh and your attempts at sarcasm really suck.

Is see no signs nor evidence of a concrete terror attack.

Just some suspected Hezbollah with some fertilizer in a warehouse.

Nobody would have blown your favorite beer bar away without that warning.

But if you think the danger is/was totally real why don't say thank you to the Thai Gov't that they made some arrests.

Hunting terrorists is no easy business or like a sport game you follow on twitter. The authorities might want to operate quiet and silent and not like a Team America or a Gorilla on PCP.

If you are close to get to a terrorist cell you don't tell the public what you know about them and what they are up too and that you are very close to get them. That gives just the terrorists are warning.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opposition Democrat Party has accused the government of misinforming the public over the terrorism threat to the country.

"The government should be more cautious over this sensitive security issue since we are being watched by the world," said opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The government had to have a clear stance and balance between the measures to provide safety in the country and relations with foreign countries.

"We need proper measures to protect our people - but for foreign countries, notably the US, we cannot allow them to guide us on any matter," he said.

I suspect that the Government already tried that and wanted handle it the Thai way and isn't very happy about how the US stepped in.

Any suggestion how to do that, Mr. Abhisit, not allow them, the US, notably, to guide us (you) on any matter ...

Protest in front of the embassy "US not for Us", "Hillary ork bai" chants and sing the national Hymn, got some fancy idea while reading the resistance handbook of the worlds leading resistance movement? It will be hard to bring that message across and to tell them that you can do it alone.

I respect the tough stance of Abhisit, the way he wanna say NO. but i like also the soft tactic of the Gov't. I think they say NO too

The correct way would have been to inform the public that there was a real threat and to tell them to be careful instead of trying to cover it up and pretend there's nothing wrong. This incompetant PT government have themselves to blame letting the US embarass them like that. If they had handled it more professionally, I'm pretty sure the US would have been more then happy to work with them.

The Thai way of handling things? Yes sabai sabai till something goes boom! That's the Thai way.

But if you think the danger is/was totally real why don't say thank you to the Thai Gov't that they made some arrests.

Hunting terrorists is no easy business or like a sport game you follow on twitter. The authorities might want to operate quiet and silent and not like a Team America or a Gorilla on PCP.

If you are close to get to a terrorist cell you don't tell the public what you know about them and what they are up too and that you are very close to get them. That gives just the terrorists are warning.

Best you read this Post by TVF.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/526468-thailand-hunting-hezbollah-operatives-planning-terror-attacks-against-jews-israelis/

The Terrorist stated they were going to blow up areas frequented by Isralies and foreigners.

He admitted the bomb material and where it was.

He stated after capture he was going to blow up bars etc.

They only knew who to find after the Isralies told them. Easy after that.

Sure did give them a warning they gave it up after being caught.

Best you read the link above, it gives you times and dated and when the Thai Gov was notified.

If you don't see the fertiliser as evidence then you're even stupider then your posts.

Yes you're supposed to hunt terrorists quietly. Unfortunately, the Thai government didn't even want to anything about this. Notice that they only caught the suspect and then found the materials AFTER they were pressured into it because the US issued the warning. Duhhhh.

• Like 1

If you don't see the fertiliser as evidence then you're even stupider then your posts.

Yes you're supposed to hunt terrorists quietly. Unfortunately, the Thai government didn't even want to anything about this. Notice that they only caught the suspect and then found the materials AFTER they were pressured into it because the US issued the warning. Duhhhh.

No, the Thai government presented the suspect to the media after the US Embassy warnings... that's much different than not doing anything before the US Embassy warning.

No, the Thai government presented the suspect to the media after the US Embassy warnings... that's much different than not doing anything before the US Embassy warning.

I wouldn't take the public Thai reaction to mean the entire truth has been revealed. Why on earth is the perp being paraded in a mask? The USA embassy terror warning remains IN EFFECT. Edited by Jingthing

I would guess that the Thais were going to let these guys go so to avoid any problems (Thai way). But the American Embassy posted a warning and the Thais had to do something so they grabbed one guy at the airport. Later to find out that there was a plot to blowup something ??? somewhere ??? My question is where are these other guys ? If the Thais had the situration under control they would have these other guys now and be questioning them about their plans, other terrorists, etc etc.... How did they get away and why ? There are many more questions that need to be answered. Thailand can not just let these guy go and not answer for it. They have to be responsible for their actions. I would bet that Thailand was doing nothing and America said enough is enough and posted the warning. I only wish they would have done so earlier so that we could be questioning these other guys and maybe save some lives. If these guys blow something up later Thailand is partly to blame.

• Like 1

Pretty sure he was arrested at the airport trying to leave and that was after the US warning... also, other suspects managed to get away. Hardly proof in favor of the statement that the Thais were actively watching them and had it all under control.

• Like 1

I wouldn't take the public Thai reaction to mean the entire truth has been revealed. Why on earth is the perp being paraded in a mask? The USA embassy terror warning remains IN EFFECT.

Just saw him without the mask on parade with hand cuffs on Thai TV

Pretty sure he was arrested at the airport trying to leave and that was after the US warning... also, other suspects managed to get away. Hardly proof in favor of the statement that the Thais were actively watching them and had it all under control.

So within 2 hours after the Embassy warning, the guy tried to leave the country and Thailand caught him? Yet, before that they did nothing?

Thailand doesn't want a terrorist attack on its soil. Why would they do nothing until the US demands? There haven't been any major terrorist incidents in Bangkok in decades so they must be doing something right.

So within 2 hours after the Embassy warning, the guy tried to leave the country and Thailand caught him? Yet, before that they did nothing?

Thailand doesn't want a terrorist attack on its soil. Why would they do nothing until the US demands? There haven't been any major terrorist incidents in Bangkok in decades so they must be doing something right.

So the Thai government has handled everything perfectly then? Oh, thanks for that, there is no problem here.

I would guess that the Thais were going to let these guys go so to avoid any problems (Thai way). But the American Embassy posted a warning and the Thais had to do something so they grabbed one guy at the airport. Later to find out that there was a plot to blowup something ??? somewhere ??? My question is where are these other guys ? If the Thais had the situration under control they would have these other guys now and be questioning them about their plans, other terrorists, etc etc.... How did they get away and why ? There are many more questions that need to be answered. Thailand can not just let these guy go and not answer for it. They have to be responsible for their actions. I would bet that Thailand was doing nothing and America said enough is enough and posted the warning. I only wish they would have done so earlier so that we could be questioning these other guys and maybe save some lives. If these guys blow something up later Thailand is partly to blame.

The Thais see exactly whats going on. Its a conflict between Israel - Hezbollah/Lebanon. And they don't want get involved in that conflict or choose sides.

The warning by the US pushed the Thais to do something like that and make some arrests to make that threat a terror attack looks like its over and defused now. Thats not about whats really going on but PR and show for the public perception.

True is these Hezbollah "terrorists" would never launch an attack in Bangkok, that isn't Hezbollah style just typical Western terrorism paranoia.

Hezbollah is part of the elected government in Lebanon. Only Israel, USA and a few other Nations see them as terrorists. Thailand not.

Okay even if you don't trust the Gov't and think they are incompetent. what you think abhisit meant when he said:

"We need proper measures to protect our people - but for foreign countries, notably the US, we cannot allow them to guide us on any matter,"

Stop to belittle and insult Thailand justz because they don't take the US stance.

• Like 1

The Thais see exactly whats going on. Its a conflict between Israel - Hezbollah/Lebanon. And they don't want get involved in that conflict or choose sides.

The warning by the US pushed the Thais to do something like that and make some arrests to make that threat a terror attack looks like its over and defused now. Thats not about whats really going on but PR and show for the public perception.

True is these Hezbollah "terrorists" would never launch an attack in Bangkok, that isn't Hezbollah style just typical Western terrorism paranoia.

Hezbollah is part of the elected government in Lebanon. Only Israel, USA and a few other Nations see them as terrorists. Thailand not.

Okay even if you don't trust the Gov't and think they are incompetent. what you think abhisit meant when he said:

"We need proper measures to protect our people - but for foreign countries, notably the US, we cannot allow them to guide us on any matter,"

Stop to belittle and insult Thailand justz because they don't take the US stance.

By doing nothing they are getting involved and picking sides. It is their responsibility to protect the people in Thailand, all people !

They have carried out attacks on Israeli and Jewish targets abroad (most notebly, in Argentina, but also other places) - so how is this not their "style", but just "paranoia"?

They are part of the Lebanese political system, yes. They are also into killing opponents and political rivals (for example, an elected prime minister of Lebanon).

So the confession the Thais got from the Hezbollah terrorist saying there were active plans to mass murder Jews in Bangkok was a fiction made up by the Thai government? That's what you're saying, is it?

What confession of mass murder? Where did you get that from?

Hope this clears up your question.

Thai sources said that during his questioning, the detained Hezbollah operative confessed that a terror squad was intending to launch an attack on Israeli targets, including places where Israelis stay.

"The Thai authorities have stationed heavy security at all potential targets," a securing source added.

According to the Thai media, Israel first informed the Thai authorities on December 22 that three Hezbollah operatives had entered the country in order to perpetrate terror attacks. On January 8, Israel received additional information pinpointing this weekend as the time of the attack.

The Americans had also informed the Thai authorities before Christmas that they had received information from Israel about a planned terror attack against Western and American targets in Bangkok.

They have carried out attacks on Israeli and Jewish targets abroad (most notebly, in Argentina, but also other places) - so how is this not their "style", but just "paranoia"?

They are part of the Lebanese political system, yes. They are also into killing opponents and political rivals (for example, an elected prime minister of Lebanon).

You have evidence for it?

Hezbollah leaders were victims of target killings and terrorist attacks.

They are not know for mass scale air strikes on Tel Aviv or for driving tanks trough an Israel kibbutz or send soldier to the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_AMIA_bombing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Tribunal_for_Lebanon

No one says Hezbollah wasn't attacked in Lebanon, This has little to do with claiming Hezbollah never carried out attacks outside Lebanon, or that it's a non-violent democratic movement.

Some nonsense posts have removed as they are simply disrupting normal discussion:

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

You have evidence for it?

Hezbollah leaders were victims of target killings and terrorist attacks.

They are not know for mass scale air strikes on Tel Aviv or for driving tanks trough an Israel kibbutz or send soldier to the USA.

http://en.wikipedia....94_AMIA_bombing

http://en.wikipedia....nal_for_Lebanon

No one says Hezbollah wasn't attacked in Lebanon, This has little to do with claiming Hezbollah never carried out attacks outside Lebanon, or that it's a non-violent democratic movement.

Okay, simple acknowledge the fact that Hezbollah is ALSO a political party in lebonon. part of the gov't, elected. That they are also run social projects, schools, hospitals, community service.

If you hear Hezbollah is doesn't have to mean 100% terrorist, want to kill anyone else who is an innocent American.

Can we agree here?

If you want want focus only on a part of them and take it as the whole, list a summery of terror attacks that happen 25 years ago, allegedly commited by Hezbollah. ... be fair, than you should focus also on causalties and civilian victims the other side is to blame. But i am not in the mood for these arguments.

Did you read your own source? Its evidence for what?

Both Hezbollah and Iran deny any involvement in the bombing.[35] According to Hoseyni, the accusations were intended to divert "world attention from the perpetration of crimes by the Zionists against women and children in Palestine".

On March 6, 2007, former Congressman Mario Cafiero and former government official Luis D'Elia provided evidence at a press conference that Abolghasem Mesbahi, along with two other Iranians that gave alleged evidence implicating Iran in the bombing, were members of the People's Mujahedin of Iran (MEK), which is an Islamic Marxist organization that advocates the overthrow of the Islamic Republic of Iran and is designated as a terrorist organization by the US. They also said that there were arrest warrants issued by Interpol for the other two Iranians, Hadi Roshanravani and Hamid Reza Eshagi.[36]

Islamic Marxists, equally considered as a terrorist organisation by the US is your credible source? to discuss that will not really bring us foward here.

Accept the part in bold, okay? I think your path is sane and you don't tend to exaggerate and you don't blame Hezbollah for everything and know to differentiate unlike some other do here.

I don't think that Hezbollah are totally innocent choir boys, but its like a medal with two sides. that should not be ignored.

Edited by gopnarak
  • Like 1

Hope this clears up your question.

Thai sources said that during his questioning, the detained Hezbollah operative confessed that a terror squad was intending to launch an attack on Israeli targets, including places where Israelis stay.

Hezbollah are terrorists..

Forgive me, but I think some folks are missing the point here...

I don't really care about who considers Hezbollah to be what...terrorists...not terrorists... gardner of the year nominees or whatever.

What I do care about are civilians who try to acquire bomb making materials so either they or their compatriots can blow up innocent people in Thailand or elsewhere in the world.

Anyone trying to do that is a terrorist, no matter what group they're affiliated with....and even if they're affiliated with no group whatsoever...

Everything else is just political B.S. that takes up pages of posts here...and the grist for political arguments that have nothing to do with whether the guy in custody is a bomb maker or bomb exporter or not.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

OK, thanks. Maybe they heard that the f-rangs Thaivisa thought the mask was weird.

Sure hope they don't read ThaiVisa..............With most of the bashing they

take here ...........Most in their place would say F-it & raise visa requirements

beyond the capabilities of most whiners looking to change our country into theirs.

Then again I would be surprised if they don't read TV at times

Edited by flying

Moral - if you want to sneak out of the country, take off your balaclava (ski mask for yanks?).

Did he bring that with him?

It's regulation terrorist headgear, how else would BIB spot them?

in another picture the 'culprit' was wearing a police flack jacket uniform he has quiet an unusual wardrobe for a terrorist.

they have not removed it yet

Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens: Possible Terrorist Threat

This message alerts U.S. citizens in Thailand that foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future.

http://bangkok.usemb...ncymessage.html

Thailand Country Specific Information

http://travel.state....s/cis_1040.html

Edited by wxyz

Of course this Hezbollah-man isn't a terrorist, he's just an enthusiastic collector of bomb-making materials, which clearly he didn't intend to be used anyway, in Thailand or overseas.dry.png

• Like 1

Of course this Hezbollah-man isn't a terrorist, he's just an enthusiastic collector of bomb-making materials, which clearly he didn't intend to be used anyway, in Thailand or overseas.dry.png

no doubt he has many hez-friends