Traffic Noise!

CGW

I had to go to a shop opposite Tesco just past the traffic lights at Theppasit this morning, the traffic noise was unbearable, the staff in these shops have to be suffering ear damage!

Years back the Police used to stop traffic with noisy, illegal exhausts, that seems to be a thing of the past. I rejoiced when 2 stroke motorcycles were not sold anymore in Thaialnd, but off course they are managing to make the small 4 strokes even noisier with illegal exhausts.

The trucks are a law unto themselves, the row a lot of these make is horrendous, damaging and anti-social!

I understand that with the 5 yearly car MOT check they do check the exhaust system - unsurprisingly they don't do a very good job of it!

What is it with Thai's noise and pollution, why are they so anti-social, coming from small villages you would expect the opposite for from some of them?

There is so much money for the Police to make, just doing there job, they could start shutting down all the illegal exhaust shops that have sprung up in the past few years? but - TIT they wont!

Rant over

^ Nothing quite like the sound of a very noisy 2 cylinder agricultural machine "roaring" by! summed up by 'Ardley Ableson owners are preoccupied with image and sound, so much so that they've forgotten the basic principle that backs up those two aspects; performance. Image and sound are nothing, they are meaningless, without performance and handling.

Though thankfully there arn't that many about most people prefer to get value for there money when purchasing a motorcycle, even if it doesn't give them the opportunity to dress up as a badass!

Not sure what ego trip the noisy truckers and buses are on though!

You should be so lucky. If you live anywhere near Soi 10 off Soi Kopai you will be plagued by a motormouth commentator at the new Futbol facility. His screaming and ranting can be heard all over Suksabai Villas. I am happy that the facility has been provided and hope that it diverts youths and young men away from beer, drugs and shooting each other. The floodlights are no problem but the racket that this garrulous Thai style would be John Motson keeps up into the early hours is unbearable. I'd like to shut him up in a sound proof room and feed him a continuous diet of Vera Lynn, Kylie Minogue and Frank Ifield recordings played very loudly.

Punishment to meet the crime.

• Like 1

You should be so lucky. If you live anywhere near Soi 10 off Soi Kopai you will be plagued by a motormouth commentator at the new Futbol facility. His screaming and ranting can be heard all over Suksabai Villas. I am happy that the facility has been provided and hope that it diverts youths and young men away from beer, drugs and shooting each other. The floodlights are no problem but the racket that this garrulous Thai style would be John Motson keeps up into the early hours is unbearable. I'd like to shut him up in a sound proof room and feed him a continuous diet of Vera Lynn, Kylie Minogue and Frank Ifield recordings played very loudly.

I live in Pattaya Lagoon and was wondering what the noise was

I live in Pattaya Lagoon and was wondering what the noise was

You live in the lagoon? Sounds a bit fishy to me. Keep your head below the surface and you will experience a serene silence - permanently if you linger too long..

BTW During my insane period I used to harbour sexual fantasies about your wife Mary - played by Elaine C Smith. I feel better now that I have the right medication.

I'd like to download all the series from Pirate bay but there are so few seeders that it would take a lifetime.

I have A harley,I wear ear plugs.

Along with crothless leather chaps and tassles, lovely.

Same here on the "darkside"...Some elder guys (50+) ride the main roads up and down (with their incredibly/annoying loud Harleys/V-Twins), but they have sweat on their face, if they reach a curve.....(every Honda Wave 100cc wave will pass them easily)

I think, it must be some kind of a "penis enlargement thing" laugh.png

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

I suspect the OP hasn't been in any 'quiet' Thai village that these people are supposed to come from.

In the village it starts anything up to an hour before dawn with the roosters. This is before the village tannoy kicks in with either regal, martial or Thai "golden oldies" interspersed with local community announcements before the national anthem. Meanwhile, the motorbikes fill the early morning silence as people go to work but apart from the yakking of soi dogs and the occasional Kubota truck thrashing it's way through the village, you may be able to hear other people's cellphones ringing; the default Nokia one is still tops out here btw. The boonies are also blessed with the slow-moving advertising pickup blaring music and invitations to whatever all the noise is about. Generally after lunch, it can be quieter but the caretaker of the property behind ours toddles in on his tuk-tuk full of fighting chooks with the blown-out exhaust around 2pm. He opens all the doors and windows to let the place air and fires up a radio somewhere inside, tuned to some local FM crap and turns the volume all the way up while he washes his chooks in the back yard... and sings along with his favourites! There's maybe 3 or 4 ice cream peddlers during the afternoon along with pickups with tannoys selling brooms, or fruit, or haberdashery to mystery meat. By 4.30, the motorcycle rush kicks in again and then it's all the gabbing over dinner, with regular cellphone rings and the evening community announcements and music on the tannoy. The dogs manage to croon away the late evening through to midnight but a weekends they can't be heard over the local karaoke club or the twice monthly tambon-related piss-up with the big, BIG speakers, stage, lights, singers and dancers.

Rant over.

Edited by NanLaew

I hate noise...except Harley exhaust. That's music.

If they have an exhaust and not only an empty pipe...

But unfortunately most of these ******* riding around with an empty fake exhaust.

Edited by roban

I think the worst offenders are the Thais that basically remove the exhaust from their small bikes thinking it's cool, it really sounds terrible and will reduce every aspect of engine performance, I live just off pattaya klang and have screens on my appartment windows and balcony doors which means they are open for air circulation, there is a very noisy Thai on a small bike with no exhaust that passes here every morning at about 6am.............highly annoying

I think the worst offenders are the Thais that basically remove the exhaust from their small bikes thinking it's cool, it really sounds terrible and will reduce every aspect of engine performance, I live just off pattaya klang and have screens on my appartment windows and balcony doors which means they are open for air circulation, there is a very noisy Thai on a small bike with no exhaust that passes here every morning at about 6am.............highly annoying

I will swop you for the fat aged farang across the road with his Harley, what is it with these people not only do they emit so much noise pollution but they insist on revving the thing for 5 minutes pre and post use.

I had an asshol_e in Jomtien Beach that used to rev his engine and then go racing down the new 2nd road.. Then he would come back and do it again. And again.

I got one of those fireworks that shoots multiple bursts and when he pulled it again, I lit the thing and hit him with at least two bursts... Hasn't come back yet...

aye they are rediculous also, no need for any of it, hard to imagine having a big with a huge engine and all it does is make noise, a Harley will hardly break through 100mph all it does is make noise lol - went to a bike week in Phuket and nobody wanted to ride with them because of the noise it's just annoying, why would you buy a touring MB that you have to wear earplugs lol

But don't want to get into the Harley debate as it's been done here on TV many times

I hate noise...except Harley exhaust. That's music.

Your not mechanicaly minded are you Paul, Music! now if you said Ducati or a Ferrari engine................

I suspect the OP hasn't been in any 'quiet' Thai village that these people are supposed to come from.

Rant over.

I have spent quite a bit of time up-country, sadly yes they just bring habits of a lifetime with them! I simply can't understand there fascination for noise or their dislike of disposing of rubbish correctly!

In the village it starts anything up to an hour before dawn with the roosters. This is before the village tannoy kicks in with either regal, martial or Thai "golden oldies" interspersed with local community announcements before the national anthem. Meanwhile, the motorbikes fill the early morning silence as people go to work but apart from the yakking of soi dogs and the occasional Kubota truck thrashing it's way through the village, you may be able to hear other people's cellphones ringing; the default Nokia one is still tops out here btw. The boonies are also blessed with the slow-moving advertising pickup blaring music and invitations to whatever all the noise is about. Generally after lunch, it can be quieter but the caretaker of the property behind ours toddles in on his tuk-tuk full of fighting chooks with the blown-out exhaust around 2pm. He opens all the doors and windows to let the place air and fires up a radio somewhere inside, tuned to some local FM crap and turns the volume all the way up while he washes his chooks in the back yard... and sings along with his favourites! There's maybe 3 or 4 ice cream peddlers during the afternoon along with pickups with tannoys selling brooms, or fruit, or haberdashery to mystery meat. By 4.30, the motorcycle rush kicks in again and then it's all the gabbing over dinner, with regular cellphone rings and the evening community announcements and music on the tannoy. The dogs manage to croon away the late evening through to midnight but a weekends they can't be heard over the local karaoke club or the twice monthly tambon-related piss-up with the big, BIG speakers, stage, lights, singers and dancers.

Rant over.

Come on NanLaew, you know you love it.

It beats being back in boring, cold, grey faced, overpriced, taxed to death, what's on the tellie Farang land.

Rant over.

You paint a lovely picture. Out here in downtown Sattahip the silence is deafening. Except that is every year for a month prior to Son Cran the near by wat blasts us with a long medley (twice each time) for 20 mins at 6am sharp, 12 noon then again at six in the evening. Drive's me up the bloody wall for a month. Some days i prefer not to be woken at 6 in the morning! It's not even religious music. This year i am seriously thinking of installing a large PA system on my balcony at the back of the house then each time they crank it up i will blast them back with a doze of Deap Purple or somthing of that mode. Noise wars!!

Ah!! feel better already.

Rant over.

Come on NanLaew, you know you love it.

It beats being back in boring, cold, grey faced, overpriced, taxed to death, what's on the tellie Farang land.

Too funny. Wifey, after years in farang land, now says the village is too noisy for her! She use to be able to sleep through all of this. Not now.