Speak Wife My Wife

Neeranam

I think the "gae" mentioned here refers to แก่, which means "old", not แก, which means "you" and is used among friends :o

My favorite somtam vendor calls her husband as ไอ้แก่(ai gae) and he calls her ไอ้อ้วน (ai ouan) :D

In regards to the "mia" vs. "panraya" issue (I know, I know, I'm a little late on this :D), I'd like to second Dara's comments. In the Thai language there are so many nuances, and you're able to say the same thing in so many different ways, depending on the situation.

I'd recommend that when in doubt, go for the more conservative vocabulary, unless you're pretty sure that your audience is one that you can use more familiar (กันเองๆ) language with.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite somtam vendor calls her husband as ไอ้แก่(ai gae) and he calls her ไอ้อ้วน (ai ouan)

Hi siamesekitty,

Would that be อีอ้วน or ไอ้อ้วน? I thought อี was the prefix for a woman? :o

Yep, as meadish says..

Actually อี is for women, and ไอ้ for men, but for some reason, ไอ้ sounds less vulgar, and is also often for the gals as well. My close buddies and I use ไอ้ all the time, with อี sometimes used for emphasis. :D

Not sure why this is, a modern-day evolution in Thai language? (A linguist might know something about อี/ไอ้? :o )

Not sure why this is, a modern-day evolution in Thai language? (A linguist might know something about อี/ไอ้? :o )

Not sure about usage in Thai as I understand they are both considered "vulgar" in Thai, but in Kham Muang the langauge of Northern Thailand, the usage is informal and very common, used as both a prefix to a name or title, or as a pronoun.

• 4 weeks later...

I truly cringe when I hear Farang trying to show off their Thai by using words like “Goo” , “Meung” and so on - oh, and yes “Mia” and “Pua” - to name but a few.

Don't try to copy “villagers” or “the man in the street” when you speak Thai.

Patrick

Referring to your wife as panrayaa in normal conversation, give me a break.

Well as Yoda might say, cringe shall you do. Some of us dinosaurs prefer hanging out with chao baan. Are "villagers" so alien to you that you need put the term into quotations. <deleted>?

For some of us who lived amongst that large anonymous majority of rural Thais that most posters on this board only rarely interact with unless they have to ask for directions, using terms such as pua, mia or faen seems quite natural. I also only kin and never, and I mean never, thaan ahaan. And unless I have to spend time in the city, I usually address just about everyone as either phii or nong or lung or paa and rarely used pronouns such as khun.

I am more likely to cringe hearing a Farang speaking the Bangkok version of Central Thai favored by the phuu diis who are busy with their rape, pillage and plundering of the Thai nation.

A language is simply a dialect with an army behind it.

Ummm Well Central Thai is always understood. I assume you refer only to the farang that live in Isaan since mia/pua are local vernacular. If you live in a village in isaan then speak that dialect if you know that the person you are speaking to is also there in isaan and understands. However if you live in the North or the South etc ...

To the original poster. if you are going to add "noi" to the end .. add "dai mai khrap" as well.

re: ai/ii ... avoid the use in Central Thailand ... with people you don't know etc. Just to be safe. (I went to a bar in Khampeng Phet (around JJ market) named Ee Baa. Talking about it with a friend later .... Oi!

I truly cringe when I hear Farang trying to show off their Thai by using words like “Goo” , “Meung” and so on - oh, and yes “Mia” and “Pua” - to name but a few.

Don't try to copy “villagers” or “the man in the street” when you speak Thai.

Patrick

Referring to your wife as panrayaa in normal conversation, give me a break.

Well as Yoda might say, cringe shall you do. Some of us dinosaurs prefer hanging out with chao baan. Are "villagers" so alien to you that you need put the term into quotations. <deleted>?

For some of us who lived amongst that large anonymous majority of rural Thais that most posters on this board only rarely interact with unless they have to ask for directions, using terms such as pua, mia or faen seems quite natural. I also only kin and never, and I mean never, thaan ahaan. And unless I have to spend time in the city, I usually address just about everyone as either phii or nong or lung or paa and rarely used pronouns such as khun.

I am more likely to cringe hearing a Farang speaking the Bangkok version of Central Thai favored by the phuu diis who are busy with their rape, pillage and plundering of the Thai nation.

A language is simply a dialect with an army behind it.

Ummm Well Central Thai is always understood. I assume you refer only to the farang that live in Isaan since mia/pua are local vernacular. If you live in a village in isaan then speak that dialect if you know that the person you are speaking to is also there in isaan and understands. However if you live in the North or the South etc ...

To the original poster. if you are going to add "noi" to the end .. add "dai mai khrap" as well.

'mia' and 'phua' are original Thai words from the time before Buddhism and Indic influence and not specifically dialect words, they are used in informal contexts in Central Thailand as well. It is true that they are not as polite as 'saamii' and 'phanrayaa', but they are not impolite either given the right situation (informal, familiar).

Johpa lives in the North, not Isaan.

Not sure about usage in Thai as I understand they are both considered "vulgar" in Thai, but in Kham Muang the langauge of Northern Thailand, the usage is informal and very common, used as both a prefix to a name or title, or as a pronoun.

The use of อี (ee) before a female name and ไอ้ (ai) before a male name is normal in the village where I live in isaan.

It should only be used when referring to people you know very well, so this is why everyone in the village uses it for each other, but would not use it for people in another village. It can only be used when referring to someone younger than you.

totster :D