Speak Wife My Wife

Neeranam

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's Neeranam's point. It is polite to stick a "noi" particle after the statement but, in this instance, it changes the meaning from, "Talk to my wife." to, "Talk to my bit on the side."

Scouse.

different tones on the noi, high for the mistress, เมียน้อย low for the 'talk to the wife please' หน่อย

<snip>

I know it's :o but... nice avatar Bambi. :D

thanks Jaidee :D

:D saw tv ads. a farang bloke leave from a classy farang lady ..and come back to the home, he has thai wife (she is cooking ..but look tried and dress as maid :D )

a guy " Mia ja Pua hew khao" and waing < his pronunciation is funny but cute

a Th " glab ma tai rung leaew lor " and upset ..

กลับมาตายรัง = finally come back to home (as a loser)

funny ads :D

seem it's the ads of MSG or fish sauce something ..

"mia" is not that polite if you are talking to someone u aren't on friendly terms with.

however, if u wanted to say "mia" u could say:

"raw sakroo kui gab mia pom noi"

by adding the "pom" (my), it seperates it from "mia" and u won't sound like u r calling ur wife ur mistress. however, the tones are quite different anyway.

edit/ typo

Edited by tom yum goong

There are a couple of different words you could use:

For “Speak with”

“Kui” = very casual, I would suggest you use only with people you - and your wife - know very well.

“Pood” = more formal

“Preuksa” = “discuss”, even more formal - use when your Bank Manager calls about your overdraft etc.!

For “Wife”

Personally I would never use “Mia”, regardless of the situation and / or the person I am speaking with; “Paraya” is a much more polite word and reflects better on both you and your wife.

Patrick

Kui” = very casual, I would suggest you use only with people you - and your wife - know very well.

dont people say: pood kui.. (speak with me) as lovers or close friends?? (there's a song, puut kui, no?

how is written in thai??

For “Speak with”

“Kui” = very casual, I would suggest you use only with people you - and your wife - know very well.

“Pood” = more formal

“Preuksa” = “discuss”, even more formal - use when your Bank Manager calls about your overdraft etc.!

For “Wife”

Personally I would never use “Mia”, regardless of the situation and / or the person I am speaking with; “Paraya” is a much more polite word and reflects better on both you and your wife.

Patrick

You can use 'mia', if she's your own, with anyone you're close to, it's rare to hear villagers or the man in the street refer to his wife as 'paraya', often he or she will just say 'faen' เเฟน regarding their better half. If you did a survey of Thai couples living together I reckon half have never registered their marriage.

khui คุย to chat, you can use with anyone with whom you talk to on an equal level. As anyone who has been here more than 2 weeks knows, chatting is a favourite Thai activity.

'Preuksa' is used for advice or consultation, ie ที่ปรึกษา a consultant

For “Speak with”

“Pood” = more formal

For “Wife”

Patrick

You can use 'mia', if she's your own, with anyone you're close to, it's rare to hear villagers or the man in the street refer to his wife as 'paraya', often he or she will just say 'faen' เเฟน regarding their better half. If you did a survey of Thai couples living together I reckon half have never registered their marriage.

khui คุย to chat, you can use with anyone with whom you talk to on an equal level. As anyone who has been here more than 2 weeks knows, chatting is a favourite Thai activity.

'Preuksa' is used for advice or consultation, ie ที่ปรึกษา a consultant

I realise this may ruffle feathers.

You have understand that whatever language / vocabulary etc. a Thai may use, when "parroted' by a Farang it is judged by very different criteria, and, as I said in my original Post, it clearly reflects on the speaker and, by association, the society he keeps.

I truly cringe when I hear Farang trying to show off their Thai by using words like “Goo” , “Meung” and so on - oh, and yes “Mia” and “Pua” - to name but a few.

Don't try to copy “villagers” or “the man in the street” when you speak Thai.

Patrick

Good replies, thanks. I was always told to say "paraya" when in Bangkok, but here in Isaan when I've used it sometimes they don't understand, but mia they always do. This could be due to my bad pronunciation.

I agree with Mr Brownstone, that some Thais judge the Thai usage of foriengers. However I like to try and sound like the locals sometimes. I actually give my wife a hard time sometimes when she uses "less formal" Thai with some locals, although when we are out with 'respectable' people she changes. I come from a small Scottish town and when people came there and spoke proper English they got laughed at sometimes. Kind of like if a foriegner came and spoke like the queen. But if they spoke the local dialect, they would get laughed at too. Seems like the foriegner can never win.

"raw sakroo kui gab mia pom noi" sounds right to me - as I was talking with a tuk tuk driver.

I think the main thing is to know how to change with the different people you are with.

When using 'Noi' as a polite particle when asking someone to do something, add 'Dai Mai Krap/Ka' as well as this makes a command less harsh.

'Kor Ror Suk Kroo Dee-o Noi Dai Mai Krap'

I agree with Patrick totally. When unsure of the situation always use the polite form as a default. 'Mia' is not a particularly complimetary way to lable one's wife to a stranger. 'Panrayaa' is the mot juste.

I truly cringe when I hear Farang trying to show off their Thai by using words like “Goo” , “Meung” and so on - oh, and yes “Mia” and “Pua” - to name but a few.

Don't try to copy “villagers” or “the man in the street” when you speak Thai.

Patrick

Referring to your wife as panrayaa in normal conversation, give me a break.

Well as Yoda might say, cringe shall you do. Some of us dinosaurs prefer hanging out with chao baan. Are "villagers" so alien to you that you need put the term into quotations. &lt;deleted&gt;?

For some of us who lived amongst that large anonymous majority of rural Thais that most posters on this board only rarely interact with unless they have to ask for directions, using terms such as pua, mia or faen seems quite natural. I also only kin and never, and I mean never, thaan ahaan. And unless I have to spend time in the city, I usually address just about everyone as either phii or nong or lung or paa and rarely used pronouns such as khun.

I am more likely to cringe hearing a Farang speaking the Bangkok version of Central Thai favored by the phuu diis who are busy with their rape, pillage and plundering of the Thai nation.

A language is simply a dialect with an army behind it.

นิรนาม  เมียเจ้างามกว่า Bambina บ่

ภรรยาของข้าพเจ้าดูเพริศเเพร้วกว่า......

Neeranam ,  is  your  wife  more beautifal than  Bambi?

My wife  is  more faboulous ,shiny than  her.

:o:D lol ...nah ..other girls are prettier than me...

im the ugliest girl in the worl :D:D

How can you know the word as เพริศเเพร้ว seem its too hard /complicate word

เก่งจังเลย so smart!!

I can't say for folks in the upcountry, but here in Bangkok, I refer to my wife as "fan" 98% of the time in normal and semi-formal conversation, 1.5% "mia" in jokes, and 0.5% when talking to unfriendly district or bank officials.

I notice older people, such as my parents or my wife's parents are in a similar pattern, but probably use "mia" more than 1.5%.

Edited by Gappui

When using 'Noi' as a polite particle when asking someone to do something, add 'Dai Mai Krap/Ka' as well as this makes a command less harsh.

'Kor Ror Suk Kroo  Dee-o Noi Dai Mai Krap'

I agree with Patrick totally. When unsure of the situation always use the polite form as a default. 'Mia' is not a particularly complimetary way to lable one's wife to a stranger. 'Panrayaa' is the mot juste.

My wife said, using the term Noi would be quite impolite. She said Panrayaa is most appropriate. I used a situation where I was talking to a cab driver and indicated to wait a minute, my wife will come and explain.

BTW, Prof Fart. That's a baffling transliteration system you're employing. It took me about a minute to figure out "Kor Ror Suk Kroo Dee-o" meant "Kaw Raw Sakruu diao". I think sakruu and diao would be redundant anyway.

Looks like Pbrownstone has touched a nerve in Johpa......

Yea, I tend to get pissed off by those who appear to denigrate my homies in Thailand, whether it be their speech, dress, or customs. It was the use of quotations that really set me off last night. I am proud to have many lao khao drinkers from many ethnic persuasions as close friends when in-country.

I know my usage of the more informal speech used in the villages can cause some miscommunication. As an undergrad in college, I once addresed a Thai graduate student as noong which I assumed conveyed a certain amount of familiarity and neighborliness. Boy, was I wrong as little Miss Bangkok, despite clearly being several years younger than I, felt it insulting that I, as a then undergrad, would address her so. Since that event I have relished in addressing most Bangkok folks as if they were fellow villagers, especially the younger ones with plenty of lumber stuck up their derrieres. And now being a propper middle aged curmudgeon I have far more opportunity than before to attempt to burst such inflated Bangkok style egos.

Well, I did say I would ruffle some feathers!

Jopha, first of all you really should read the Thread before jumping in with a contribution - I put "villagers" and "the man in the street" in inverted commas simply to indicate I was quoting from an earlier Post.

When a Farang speaks Thai he is regarded rather as someone would react to a talking bear - a mixture of wonderment, admiration and respect, with a large dash of condescension. (Why do you think Andrew Biggs is on TV as a newscaster and talk show host - certainly his Thai is excellent but there are many Thais who speak English just as fluently as he speaks Thai; he's the quintessential talking bear, that's why.)

Thais habitually pick up clues from the way anyone - Thai or Farang - speaks Thai in order to decide where he fits in to their society, and vocabulary in particular is a distinct giveaway; a Thai is also compartmentalised by his accent but obviously this is more difficult to judge in a Farang.

Others may feel differently but I speak to every Thai I meet in the same way – whether it’s a Golfing friend at the Sports Club or an upcountry Samlor driver, and I consider it would be far more disrespectful and pretentious to modify my Thai depending on my perception of the social class of the person I am speaking to.

One final point – and again this is only my view and the way I would speak – it’s not particularly polite for you to suddenly start addressing someone as “Lung” or “Paa”; while both are respectful forms of address the addressee may not appreciate such familiarity from a stranger – particularly a Farang. Far more polite and respectful to begin with a few “Khun Lung” ’s or “Khun Paa” ’s then, sometime later in the conversation dropping the “Khun”.

From the general tone of your Posts – your reference to your “Thai homies” and your little rant about “the phuu diis who are busy with their rape, pillage and plundering of the Thai nation” it would seem you are one of the unfortunates who have been here just long enough to believe you are accepted as a Thai but not long enough to finally realise that, to the Thais, you will always be a Farang …… or rather, a talking bear.

Patrick

ไม่มีข้อเปรียบเทียบ Bannork

Excellent reply Neeranam, so tactful!

Regarding the talking bear, when he's been around for years, got married,had a family, been involved in important family decisions, then I think a lot of the sense of 'wonderment, admiration, respect and condescension' wears off. To those who know him in the village, community or town, when talking together about village matters,what cattle to buy, what roads will be paved next,etc he becomes an individual, albeit a foreigner.

The Andrew Biggs rise to fame is interesting, there's certainly farangs who speak Thai better than him, probably Sabaijai on this forum does, but he has the outgoing personality they want. I remember the American, Todd ( I forget his surname) the long haired bearded singer and former botanist. He's still around but he used to have a much higher media profile, a column in Bangkok Post's Student Weekly every week travelling around interviewing Thai youth, but he hasn't got the clean cut look they want.

For teaching English the Thais want a native speaker, more credible even than Thais who have studied abroad, so if he can speak Thai well enough to be understood by the common folk, then put him on TV, he's a rare fish.

I know my usage of the more informal speech used in the villages can cause some miscommunication. As an undergrad in college, I once addresed a Thai graduate student as noong which I assumed conveyed a certain amount of familiarity and neighborliness. Boy, was I wrong as little Miss Bangkok, despite clearly being several years younger than I, felt it insulting that I, as a then undergrad, would address her so. Since that event I have relished in addressing most Bangkok folks as if they were fellow villagers, especially the younger ones with plenty of lumber stuck up their derrieres. And now being a propper middle aged curmudgeon I have far more opportunity than before to attempt to burst such inflated Bangkok style egos.
I have some fun using words like "nohng" to younger ฺBkk people than myself :o .

Why don't they like it coming from a farang?

I remember the American, Todd ( I forget his surname) the long haired bearded singer and former botanist.

I know the guy you mean, I think - he was on telly a few weeks ago. He was being called "ajarn". his Thai was much more natural than Biggs. Biggs has that outgoing camp personality than Thais love.

Edited by Neeranam

Todd's Thai isnt as good as Biggs IMO, even if I also like his personality better. The times I've seen him, his tones shake quite a bit whereas Mr. Biggs manages to keep them in their place.

I think the best word to use is 'faen' if you want to find the middle ground. Panraya does sound stuck-up and high brow, and 'mia' sounds a bit too 'baan nawk' to me.

Then again, I am the neutral type - Johpa and p brownstone both seem to be out to make a stand with their choice of words - even showing your 'class' perhaps, Mr. Browstone? :o

Personally, I just go along and try to make as little noise and attention about myself as possible - so 'faen' is my word of choice.

Kor Ror Suk Kroo Dee-o

I would use

polite:

khaw hai raw sak khruu kawn na khrap - ja dai khuy kab faen phom

ขอให้รอซักค่รูก่อนนะครับ จะได้คุยกับแฟนผม

It should be 'khaw hai' - you need a 'hai' to make it clear that you are 'transferring the action over' to the other person in the conversation.

With just 'khaw raw sak khroo' it sounds more like you are asking for permission to wait for a while yourself.

or more informal:

diaow sak khroo ja dai phuud kab faen kawn (dee kwaa)

เดี๋ยวซักครู่จะได้พูดกับแฟนก่อนดีกว่า

or just

raw sak khruu (khrap)

รอซักครู่ ครับ

(You dont have to specify who they're going to talk to as they will notice soon enough anyway)

I have some fun using words like "nohng" to younger ฺBkk people than myself :o .

Why don't they like it coming from a farang?

I remember the American, Todd ( I forget his surname) the long haired bearded singer and former botanist.
I know the guy you mean, I think - he was on telly a few weeks ago. He was being called "ajarn". his Thai was much more natural than Biggs. Biggs has that outgoing camp personality than Thais love.

so what does Biggsy have then: a mia, a panraya or perhaps a กิ๊ก ? You're not implying that Biggs could be a little inclined to shirt lifting with that use of the word 'camp' are you Neeranam?