Ngv/Lpg Cost Of A Convertion For Cars

Carlosm

I'm looking to start running my car on gas (i know about the price rise coming) due to the local pump station is going to introduce it where i live. So was wondering what the cost would be in order to justify doing it or not. I live well away from any major city so would like to know the actual price so as NOT to get the 'farang' price when i get there.

Yeah I think he means the cost of converting the car?? If that's the case, I have been told the price has come down lately, standard about a year ago was 30-40k, depending on model, now 20-30K seems a better indication of the market...

Savings of 40% over conventional, whether its worth it depends on mileage and years you intend to keep the car, get out the calc..

Oz

BTW I've heard as per the radio that the price increases are not going to happen now anyways for at least another year given the number of Taxi's etc. the move is verrrry unpopular..

Ozsamurai is about in the neighborhood depending on the system when this thread pops up there is an ad right at the bottom with which you can refer for at least one price check..

BTW I've heard as per the radio that the price increases are not going to happen now anyways for at least another year given the number of Taxi's etc. the move is verrrry unpopular..

Ozsamurai is about in the neighborhood depending on the system when this thread pops up there is an ad right at the bottom with which you can refer for at least one price check..

I maybe wrong, I heard that the price is going to increase every month by 50 satang till 2013 on NGV. At the moment it's 8bht litre and they want it more like 13bht buy the end of the year. Last I heard it's starting next week.

Sorry off topic, I did hear awhile ago that diesel was going to do the same, any news on this?

I maybe wrong, I heard that the price is going to increase every month by 50 satang till 2013 on NGV. At the moment it's 8bht litre and they want it more like 13bht buy the end of the year. Last I heard it's starting next week.

Sorry off topic, I did hear awhile ago that diesel was going to do the same, any news on this?

Not what I heard last week, they have suspended that scheduled increase until 2013 was my understanding...Maybe one our Thai reading members can find a recent related Thai source to post up a link either way..

Edited by WarpSpeed

What i read NGV will increase until April the the Government will review if they are going to keep increasing which i suppose means depends on flack/riots, LPG keep on increasing until end of year when it reaches cost + retail markup. I did notice Lavato advertising on Thai TV lastnight so maybe conversions can be cheaper?.

Edited by kartman

Flies in the face of what I've heard, however to me it's a non issue the price increase is not worthy of concern. Still much cheaper in the long run with the caveat of purchasing a car that has already had one installed and is absorbed in the resale value.

Yeah I think he means the cost of converting the car?? If that's the case, I have been told the price has come down lately, standard about a year ago was 30-40k, depending on model, now 20-30K seems a better indication of the market...

Savings of 40% over conventional, whether its worth it depends on mileage and years you intend to keep the car, get out the calc..

Oz

Maybe in the calculation being able to sell it easier with it being able to run on gas against the same model that doesn't.

Edited by Kwasaki

Suggest OP first check out what kind of "gas" is going to be sold near him, as LPG and NGV/CNG are totally different fuels, gas stations and car convertions.

Then check if his engine can run any of these fuels

Then ask for the price of systems for the fuel he wants to run fitting his car and need of range

Average price to convert is 25,000 Bt right now

Is it worth it depends on how far you drive a month, year, etc . . .

My NGV truck will be free with the 69% savings I get after 4 years in what I save at the pump

More LPG stations and less waiting with LPG than NGV but more stations are getting built monthly

Flies in the face of what I've heard, however to me it's a non issue the price increase is not worthy of concern. Still much cheaper in the long run with the caveat of purchasing a car that has already had one installed and is absorbed in the resale value.

Cost is of course important, but if you go for CNG/NGV please visit a few fuel stations first. It takes a long time to fuel the big trucks and busses so you might end up spending 30 min to top up. That could of course improve in the future, but TiT.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

Cost is of course important, but if you go for CNG/NGV please visit a few fuel stations first. It takes a long time to fuel the big trucks and busses so you might end up spending 30 min to top up. That could of course improve in the future, but TiT.

leaving BKK the ques at CNG/NGV is mid day sometimes 3 hours before you reach pump

Unless I lived next door to an NGV station and only used my car for shopping, I wouldn't touch NGV with a barge pole. Range is too limited.

See a queue of cars in Thailand? There must be an accident? No it is simply a line up at an NGV filling station.

Unless I lived next door to an NGV station and only used my car for shopping, I wouldn't touch NGV with a barge pole. Range is too limited.

See a queue of cars in Thailand? There must be an accident? No it is simply a line up at an NGV filling station.

The Tata NGV pickup with its CNG tanks under the flatbed and extra tank in the bed, can not leave the eastcoast Surat Thani to go to Phuket. No CNG/NGV on the 600km long Andaman coast, so no fuel to go back to a CNG/NGV pump

and as its a CNG/NGV only, no petrol backup, its stuck

a LPG only, you could always connect a bottle of cooking gas to get you back

I have to agree, in my posts I'm referring to LPG especially given all the taxi's that have NGV.

^^^^^ I guess what I meant and thought was understood is that the proposed cost increase is negligible compared to overall savings..

Well it's not quite that simple as there is no way to actually connect it if you haven't had it adapted prior to needing it and you'd have to pay for the tank your taking with you as it's not likely any suppliers are going to let you take it for the price of the fuel in it knowing it's not likely to be returned.

But the cars fuel tank being available to use regular fuel is definitely the way to go and it's only a matter of a few simple switches and relays, it provides much further mileage capabilities without stopping should you choose to use it that way but no getting stranded should there not be a station close enough and you haven't begun to search soon enough. It also allows for you to switch between them and cool and lubricate the valves on both long runs and before shutting down your car which increase valve train life by reducing wear and temps..

They had a company Advertising conversion's to LPG the other day in our local Big C price for a small ford was 21,000bt.

Probably Versus which is a very nice system and the company seems to be very professional too though I haven't used them personally..

Well it's not quite that simple as there is no way to actually connect it if you haven't had it adapted prior to needing it and you'd have to pay for the tank your taking with you as it's not likely any suppliers are going to let you take it for the price of the fuel in it knowing it's not likely to be returned.

of course you need a bottle or two, the 15kg household contains 30 liter of LPG, and the bottle needs to be in a trunk vented at floor, or in pickup bed

and you need a T on tank- hose, and a valve on the T

point is its doable, CNG/NGV only it is not. you are immobile

And if you use household/kitchen bottles of LP that just strap in, you could just stop and swap bottles just about anywhere. They are a mite heavy to be lifting out of the trunk though.
and here in Phuket 11 baht/liter, filling pump is 12,50 please dont tell anyone, its not very safe driving around with cooking gas bottles

As for lifting them, my cooking gas arrives by motocy and he carries them in and swap them, so I never lift them

I've read before that it's only 300kms to a tank

I've read before that it's only 300kms to a tank

or more like 170-200km for most

And if you use household/kitchen bottles of LP that just strap in, you could just stop and swap bottles just about anywhere. They are a mite heavy to be lifting out of the trunk though.

Lifting them out's not the hard part..I'd also not want to be in a or around a car that has crashed with a tank of that weight only "strapped" in as I won't be strapped in anymore and someone is gonna die if they haven't already..

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail for obvious reasons but I drive my car to the airport often and into the parking garage with only a cursory check in the trunk where they see my large Lp tank and well I think you can imagine what the potential of that is so I would gladly submit to a more thorough check as I think this is a very dangerous oversight on the part of security..

This is a seriously bad idea and technically illegal, although don't tell all the motorboat taxi guys who hide theirs under tarpaulin!

-------------------------------------------------

NGV,

I heard of a Pattaya resort owner who cannot get from the resort to the airport and back without refueling his NGV minivan.