Monacled Cobra To Kill Or Not To Kill

Well, I asked once my doctor in Samui International Hospital how many people a year they treat for snake bites, and how many died. The answer was every 2-3 years one patient, and they are all still alive.

I suspect that few people with snake bites are seen in Samui International Hospital because if there is a snake around they kill it before it has a chance to bite them and/or because they seek treatment in a less expensive hospital.

Snakes are not agressive to humans, unless you have the really bad luck to step on a highly venomous one. But even then, serum is on an island as Samui not far away

I believe you are talking about snakes in general. About the monocled cobra, other posters in this topic have referred to it as more aggressive and and more poisonous than a king cobra, and its poison very fast acting.

I also think you have to take these stories about king cobra's in the bedroom with a pinch of salt. I run a resort for over 10 years, we never had a snake in one of our rooms, just one in my living room (which I just picked up and released in the garden). Of course, it helps to keep doors and windows closed

Admittedly, I know little to nothing about snakes, but is it possible that snakes, cobras specifically, can be more prevalent in one part of the island of Samui than in other parts? Could the vicinity of a river or a swamp make a difference? In the post about king cobras outside the bedroom door -- not in the bedroom -- and in other parts of a building (kitchen, bathroom) it was mentioned that the place is near a river. When you say that you have never seen a snake in one of your rooms for over 10 years I do not doubt you, do not take a pinch of salt, nor would I doubt other posters who report that they have had snakes in their houses.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic