Optical Drive

MisterMan

My dvd opitcal driver is broken and the local pseudo-genius wants about 6k for a new one and to replace it. Anyone have this done anywhere? Any feedback on a good internal optical drive? perhaps I can buy my own and pay him to install.

Thanks

Do you even need a cd drive? I replaced mine with a SSD years ago... never missed it

In case you do, search ebay and places like macsales.com for the replacement part. Chances are there are non-Apple front loading drives that fit, and they should be around $50. There are many dedicated shops for mac parts online so do your research and figure out what exact part you need and how much it usually costs. You could then order it online and have the guy install it for a small fee, or even have any computer laptop shop install it, its not rocket science.

Apple prices for replacement parts are very high.

Strange. I've never had an optical drive on any of my Apple Computers fail. Are you sure it's not a software issue? But as Nikster said, OWC sells them. I think you said you ordered RAM from them before. I rarely use my optical drive either... Almost sounds like a good idea to put in an internal SSD in it's place and buy a cheap external optical drive or case for when you need to use one. Some people I know swear by optical backups and have walls filled with CD and DVDs to prove it.

Yes the SSD is an interesting option and have started to look into it..but not sure I need that much storage ..

I have had back up cd's fail and a back up drive fail too.......

As I have the Apple TV now I am not storing or downloading movies any more .... THank you for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...