'Thailand recognizes Palestine as independent state'

News_Editor

'Thailand recognizes Palestine as independent state'

2012-01-20 02:58:15 GMT+7 (ICT)

GAZA CITY (BNO NEWS) -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Thursday thanked the government of Thailand after it apparently decided to recognize Palestine as an independent state. Thai officials were unavailable for comment.

Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki said his office received an official letter from the Permanent Mission of Thailand to the United Nations on Tuesday which stated that the Thai government has officially recognized Palestine and has initiated a process to establish diplomatic relations.

The office of al-Maliki said it established communications with the Thai government after the new government of Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra took office in August 2011. The foreign minister added that he would continue talks with his Thai counterpart to formalize the diplomatic relations.

The Thai government did not comment on Palestine's announcement, and calls to both the Permanent Mission of Thailand to the UN and the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs were not immediately returned. If accurate, Thailand's recognition will bring the number of countries which recognize a Palestinian state to 129.

Last month, Iceland also formally recognized Palestine after its parliament voted in favor of the move.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-20

• Like 2

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Thai Government has made a very wise move, it has realised Palestine as a state despite the major western powers not doing so. With the recent floods in Bangkok Thailand has to elevate it's international profile! Western tourist numbers may be well down coz the the economic crisis in the US-EU. Tourist numbers from the middle east & other parts Asia to Thailand have increased recently.

After all It's all about numbers etc, Thailand depends on tourism for a lot of It's economy! Visitors from other parts of the world may be more likely to visit the kingdom knowing that they are rightly on the side of a free Palestine :-)

Once again, a smart move from the Thai Govjap.gif

• Like 2

Visitors from other parts of the world may be more likely to visit the kingdom knowing that they are rightly on the side of a free Palestine :-)

Yeah, that must be it. That would certainly explain all the adverts from countries I see at tourist agencies touting the wonderful beaches, attractions and support for a country the Palestinians can call their own!

Visitors from other parts of the world may be more likely to visit the kingdom knowing that they are rightly on the side of a free Palestine :-)

Yeah, that must be it. That would certainly explain all the adverts from countries I see at tourist agencies touting the wonderful beaches, attractions and support for a country the Palestinians can call their own!

Think like an Arab or a person from the middle east Koheesti! Maybe they have morals and decide when and where to go on holiday depending on the host countries view on Palestine! The Thai Governments view to recognise Palestine will not have a negative impact on tourism that's for sure! Or maybe I'm wrong?

• Like 1

Think like an Arab or a person from the middle east Koheesti! Maybe they have morals and decide when and where to go on holiday depending on the host countries view on Palestine!

Attractions and prices would be what they are thinking about when deciding to go for a vacation. whistling.gif

*Deleted quote edited out*

Notwithstanding Israeli actions, the Hamas did kill quite a few PLO members when they took over Gaza. Reverse true in the West Bank.

How is "any country" who recognized Palestine in for trouble? China? Russia? India?

Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out
  • Like 1

The fact that viable solution where by Palestinian will have a state of their own is undeniable,

But here is something to think about, where were they in their quest for a statehood before 1967?

( the six days war) didn't they wanted a state of their own? or the fact that they were living under the

Jordanian rule deterred them from seeking independent?

If the report is accurate, then Israel and other advanced democracies should follow the moral leadership of Thailand and reach out to the former Sultanates of Thailand and recognize the people's right to have an independent nation.

Edited by geriatrickid

Yes I agree this is a good thing in many ways.

But most of all I am happy to see Thailand make this decision on their own.

They have showed that they are not afraid of possible repercussions by those that

have tried hard to move this vote against Palestine.

I am sure they considered the possibility that they may loose some trade benefits

from those who stand against this. But I think it shows some moxie for them to

vote their vote & not have it for sale.

Good Job Thailand

Edited by flying
  • Like 2

the possibility that they may loose some trade benefits from those who stand against this

I doubt that any serious commercial problems will result from this decision.

Not when it comes to trade between countries, and not as an effect on tourism.

At least this is how it worked so far with other supporters.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

Timing, coincidence?

Ok, ok, we will recognize you, recall your bombers...

The cynic in me was wondering the same thing.

The flip side is possibly equally likely.

you're going to do what? But look, they were going to bomb you!

I don't think this is completely irrelevant to US-Thai relations. Perhaps the decision was taken months ago, but the timing of the public acknowledgement may well be designed to send a message on Thailands' independence from it's big brother ally in the wake of his refusal to back down on the terrorism warning.

Especially coupled with the appointment of the supposedly "black-listed" minister. . .

I don't think this is completely irrelevant to US-Thai relations. Perhaps the decision was taken months ago, but the timing of the public acknowledgement may well be designed to send a message on Thailands' independence from it's big brother ally in the wake of his refusal to back down on the terrorism warning.

Especially coupled with the appointment of the supposedly "black-listed" minister. . .

A possibility maybe but so is the opposite that the refusal to remove the terror warning is a political tactic by the US to stop Thailand recognising Palestine. Don't forget that Thailand haven't acknowledged it yet.

The Redshirts back a government run by the PLO and Hamas. What a surprise.

So....... rednecks do not like red shirts?

Basically the same i would think.

Red is red.

An extremist is an extremist.

Of course, extremists would not agree with that statement.

And yet.

Les extremes se touchent.

(as frenchy extremists would say)

It'll piss off Israel, but make the rest of the Arab countries a little bit happier about Thailand. Either way, it gets Thailand's name in the newspapers for something other than a negative effect on tourism (e.g. Terrorism alert / flooding / tourist deaths), so on the whole it's likely going to be a good thing.