'Thailand recognizes Palestine as independent state'

News_Editor

The Redshirts back a government run by the PLO and Hamas. What a surprise.

So....... rednecks do not like red shirts?

Basically the same i would think.

Red is red.

An extremist is an extremist.

Of course, extremists would not agree with that statement.

And yet.

Les extremes se touchent.

(as frenchy extremists would say)

Bucholz backs a post by Ulysses that backs the extreme right wing. What a surprise.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of off-topic posts have been deleted as well as responses to them.

This isn't difficult. Stay on the topic. The topic is Palestine and Thailand. It's not about the US or Israel.

I would think it difficult to discuss Palestine without mentioning the US and Israel.

Another off-topic post deleted.

"I would think it difficult to discuss Palestine without mentioning the US and Israel."

It might be difficult, but it's not impossible and the OP is rather specific, so I think you can proceed accordingly.

Edited by Scott
added

Thats great news. Hopefully Palestine will be freed from it aggressors sooner rather than later.

Free palestine clap2.gif

Has anyone considered the fact that Hamas don't want an independent Palestinian state as with it will come responsibilities and the international criminal court to take an interest if they misbehave.

As for the argument that this gives Thailand some anti-terrorist insurance policy blink.png All I can say apart from how staggeringly naive is that once you start giving in to threats or intimidation by terrorists they will repeat the trick again and again. I suppose when you have red shirts as your power base this sort of thinking becomes automatic though.

Edited by Steely Dan

It'll piss off Israel, but make the rest of the Arab countries a little bit happier about Thailand. Either way, it gets Thailand's name in the newspapers for something other than a negative effect on tourism (e.g. Terrorism alert / flooding / tourist deaths), so on the whole it's likely going to be a good thing.

Yes agreed, I only hope it doesn't piss off Israel enough to send Mossad to set up a Lebanese business man as a terrorist bomber. That would really damage Thai tourism.

Thats great news. Hopefully Palestine will be freed from it aggressors sooner rather than later.

Free palestine clap2.gif

Has anyone considered the fact that Hamas don't want an independent Palestinian state as with it will come responsibilities and the international criminal court to take an interest if they misbehave.

As for the argument that this gives Thailand some anti-terrorist insurance policy blink.png All I can say apart from how staggeringly naive is that once you start giving in to threats or intimidation by terrorists they will repeat the trick again and again. I suppose when you have red shirts as your power base this sort of thinking becomes automatic though.

Your first paragraph is typically ignorant of Hamas's stance. Their policy is that they will recognise Israel when Israel recognises a fully independent Palestinian state.

Although not normally a supporter, I applaud the current government for this - if it is true. I doubt very much that this is due to any intimidation but the coincidence with the Israeli-US terrorist 'threat' may well have pushed the Thais to show two fingers to 'big brother'.

I think the Thai Government has made a very wise move, it has realised Palestine as a state despite the major western powers not doing so. With the recent floods in Bangkok Thailand has to elevate it's international profile! Western tourist numbers may be well down coz the the economic crisis in the US-EU. Tourist numbers from the middle east & other parts Asia to Thailand have increased recently.

After all It's all about numbers etc, Thailand depends on tourism for a lot of It's economy! Visitors from other parts of the world may be more likely to visit the kingdom knowing that they are rightly on the side of a free Palestine :-)

Once again, a smart move from the Thai Govjap.gif

I very much doubt the average tourist know or gives a dam_n about Thai Governments recognition of a Palestinian state. As for it being a smart move! time will tell.

Free palestine clap2.gif

Your first paragraph is typically ignorant of Hamas's stance. Their policy is that they will recognise Israel when Israel recognises a fully independent Palestinian state.

Horse manure, read their charter.

http://www.terrorism-info.org.il/malam_multimedia/English/eng_n/pdf/hamas_charter.pdf

• Like 1

Free palestine clap2.gif

Horse manure, read their charter.

http://www.terrorism...mas_charter.pdf

That is cowshit - it's not their charter but a western twisting of their charter.

Just a couple of questions and points. First, I would guess that this recognition was not a spur-of-the-moment decision. I assume it takes some time to get the paperwork ready, check on the different protocols involved etc. Does anyone know how long this takes? (I note the recognition has been sent to the UN).

Secondly, is there a good reason for Thailand not to recognize Palestine? The Thais have little direct involvement in the Middle East-US-Israeli-Iran tensions. Are there any repercussions taken on countries that recognize Palestine? It seems there are quite a lot of countries who have recognized Palestine, they seem to lose nothing by doing this other than making a small number of countries unhappy.

Thoughts please.

The recognition is the right thing to do. I just wonder what Thailand's reasons for doing it are?

A Hezbollah terrorist was caught attempting to make a huge bomb, probably so he could blow up Khao San and the Israeli guesthouse there. Seems like they want to remove themselves as a possible to target and get them to not bomb Thailand

Just a couple of questions and points. First, I would guess that this recognition was not a spur-of-the-moment decision. I assume it takes some time to get the paperwork ready, check on the different protocols involved etc. Does anyone know how long this takes? (I note the recognition has been sent to the UN).

Secondly, is there a good reason for Thailand not to recognize Palestine? The Thais have little direct involvement in the Middle East-US-Israeli-Iran tensions. Are there any repercussions taken on countries that recognize Palestine? It seems there are quite a lot of countries who have recognized Palestine, they seem to lose nothing by doing this other than making a small number of countries unhappy.

Thoughts please.

I don't know how long the paperwork takes, but presumably it will wind its way through the UN to a conclusion. Thailand has good relations with all sides in the ME. There are Thai workers in Israel & there were a number in Libya. I'm not sure if any went back after the civil war was over.