Thai Tourism Agencies Eye March On US Embassy Over Terror Warning

webfact

Thais are going way off the deep end. First of all, regardless of justification if any, blackmailing a major trading partner and ally is a big error in judgement. Secondly, all news and evidence points to the fact that there is a still a current threat. One need only to see just today, it was announced that the "second" suspect has been identified and arrested. What is wrong with the Thais? They just don't get it about security. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Lastly, what is the problem with the embassy alert on their web site, especially under the circumstances, when in fact the Thais themselves have been quoted in the news as saying "tourist arrivals remain the same as before the posting? Yet you also read that they are suffering the loss of Indian and Chinese tourists. What is the truth?

Maybe protest groups should be organized in the United States to picket in front of the Thai embassies in Washington DC and New York as well as the Thai consulates in Chicago and Los Angeles protesting the attempted threat and blackmail of the proposed protest in Bangkok at the US embassy. if the Thais proceed with this preposterous threat to the US, it wouldn't be a surprise to see something like this.

As was suggested by another poster in a thread which was closed.....If Travel agents march and protest at Embassies about being hard done by, Why dont a group of Farangs march / protest at goverment offices about the jet ski-scams, general extortion etc etc...wonder what the reaction from the Thai authorites would be then ?

Maybe arrested, charged and deported for inciting civil unrest or terrorism. Edited by chooka

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais are going way off the deep end. First of all, regardless of justification if any, blackmailing a major trading partner and ally is a big error in judgement. Secondly, all news and evidence points to the fact that there is a still a current threat. One need only to see just today, it was announced that the "second" suspect has been identified and arrested. What is wrong with the Thais? They just don't get it about security. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Lastly, what is the problem with the embassy alert on their web site, especially under the circumstances, when in fact the Thais themselves have been quoted in the news as saying "tourist arrivals remain the same as before the posting? Yet you also read that they are suffering the loss of Indian and Chinese tourists. What is the truth?

Maybe protest groups should be organized in the United States to picket in front of the Thai embassies in Washington DC and New York as well as the Thai consulates in Chicago and Los Angeles protesting the attempted threat and blackmail of the proposed protest in Bangkok at the US embassy. if the Thais proceed with this preposterous threat to the US, it wouldn't be a surprise to see something like this.

As was suggested by another poster in a thread which was closed.....If Travel agents march and protest at Embassies about being hard done by, Why dont a group of Farangs march / protest at goverment offices about the jet ski-scams, general extortion etc etc...wonder what the reaction from the Thai authorites would be then ?

Can't exactly see many farangs wanting to do this, particularly those not from the US. As for counter protest in the US it does seem to be a bit far fetched at the moment but who knows where this could lead if the problem escalates.

To be cynical a cooling of the relationship between US and Thailand could lead to a boost in tourism from the new growth markets of Russia, China and the Middle East. Also with Israel being involved as well, it won't do any harm with ASEAN partners like Malaysia and Indonesia.

Can't exactly see many farangs wanting to do this, particularly those not from the US. As for counter protest in the US it does seem to be a bit far fetched at the moment but who knows where this could lead if the problem escalates.

To be cynical a cooling of the relationship between US and Thailand could lead to a boost in tourism from the new growth markets of Russia, China and the Middle East. Also with Israel being involved as well, it won't do any harm with ASEAN partners like Malaysia and Indonesia.

Already popular with Indonesians like Jemaah Islamiah who want Thailand to be part of their Islamic State, along with Australia, PNG and PI. I regularly read about Iranians getting a warm welcome at Customs. Some more Jordanians (and even Syrians, etc) stockpiling bomb materials could also give the economy a boost.

• Like 1

Already popular with Indonesians like Jemaah Islamiah who want Thailand to be part of their Islamic State, along with Australia, PNG and PI. I regularly read about Iranians getting a warm welcome at Customs. Some more Jordanians (and even Syrians, etc) stockpiling bomb materials could also give the economy a boost.

A new regional "hub" in the making perhaps ?

I wonder if they ever considered that a demonstration would just put the warning back in the news again??

How long you been in Thailand ?....you should know by now that very little thought is ever given to the consequences of ones actions.....if consequences were considered we would see less people riding the motobikes without helmets, carrying babies, the family dog etc...

Instant gratification is the order of the day in Thailand, not very good at looking at the big picture.....its all me...me

• Like 2

Thailand is finding out the US and it's Embassy warning are not to be taken lightly, pushing their weight around, with them. I for one still think there is plenty of info we are not being told here, more Thailand crap they think we should swallow. Good on the US for sticking with it, at least they care for their peoples safety and welfare, while in Thailand.jap.gifcoffee1.gif unlike Thailand

Edited by PingManDan
  • Like 2

at least they care for their peoples safety and welfare, while in Thailand.jap.gifcoffee1.gif unlike Thailand

Well dont think its a case of caring, if they didnt issue the warnings and some US citizen was killed in Thailand due to terrorists, then there may be grounds to sue the goverment in the US for not informing people, also while warnings like this are in effect travel insurance polices could be affected....so not only doing it out the goodness of their heart I am sure..

• Like 1

Totally agree .They should be targeting the jet ski scammers. Come to pattaya anyday and we will all join you.

Aid and abet a terrorist group in doing terrorism

I suggest that Thailand needs to grow a pair

to function properly on the modern world stage.

I think if you look you will find some large countries aid & abet terrorist groups when it suits their needs.

But during those times they called them freedom fighters.

Later when they did not do their masters bidding they were deemed terrorist

As for growing a pair............I think Thailand does fine & proved it today when they recognized Palestine

along with 128 other countries

But what I wonder most these days when the Thai news section seems pretty much 100% slagging

Thailand's government is if any of the slaggers live in Thailand?

If so why then?

It is not like living in ones own country where complaining might bring change in elections you can vote in.

Just curious

Edited by flying

I think if you look you will find some large countries aid & abet terrorist groups when it suits their needs.

As for growing a pair............I think Thailand does fine & proved it today when they recognized Palestine

But what I wonder most these days when the Thai news section seems pretty much 100% slagging

If so why then?

It is not like living in ones own country where complaining might bring change in elections you can vote in.

Just curious

If just 'coming to a decision' to recognize Palestine as growing a pair, then Brava!

I think they wouldn't have bothered or cared, but this was the best they could do

in protest of their fragile egos being trounced, to stand up and be counted as

anything but irrelevant. It doesn't aid Hezbollah much, but won't please Israel much either.

The USA really won't care, but may act 'to make a point' at some time.

Of course this IS saying that the a disjointed government that is

1/2 run by a terrorist organization, is fine in Thailands Governments estimation.

Well why not they have Nattuwat in the cabinet while under charges of terrorism,

why would THAT fact x 50 with Hezbollah bother this government?

Expedience and face rule this governments every decision,

that Thaksin doesn't already dictate.

Edited by animatic

I wonder if they ever considered that a demonstration would just put the warning back in the news again??

I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes it's best to let a storm blow over.

Likely true. None of the people I've talked to in the US even know about this incident/story.

Eventually it will play out one way or another, the warning regarding Bangkok will be lifted and most people will be none the wiser.

If the protest generates press, more people (including future potential tourists) will become aware of it.

Surapong also expressed confidence that foreign terrorists would not stage any attack in Thailand because the country had been friendly to all.

Yingluck's clownish cousin, Surapong, dribbles out another memorable line.

' terrorists would not stage any attack in Thailand because the country had been friendly to all." Sure, there are no problems in the south of the country.TTT Typical Thai Tourism, putting money before safety!

US terror alert sends psychological impact on Thai tourism

BANGKOK, 20 January 2012 (NNT) – The Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS) stated that the terror alert issued by the US would affect Thai tourism psychologically causing a lower number of arrivals. The private sector is preparing to submit a letter requesting the US embassy to cancel the warning.

Mr. Watchara Kannika, Spokesman of the MOTS, has announced the result of the committee on national tourism policy meeting that the terror warning by the US has not yet brought concrete impacts to Thai tourism, but psychological effects are likely as tourists may postpone their trips to Thailand, according the estimation by tour entrepreneurs.

Mr. Watchara said the tourism sector also urged the government to hastily solve this problem. Mr Watchara indicates that the MOTS is preparing to clarify the country’s situation to the US.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has ordered the setting up of a committee to evaluate the situation and lay down measures in case the US does not lift its warning within 1-2 weeks.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-20 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has ordered the setting up of a committee to evaluate the situation and lay down measures in case the US does not lift its warning within 1-2 weeks.

uh oh.... Yingluck is gonna lay down the law with the USA....

:o

ohmy.png

How do we grovel without looking like we're groveling,

and what can we do that they will believe is

enough to make it all go away.

nntlogo.jpg

LOL....I wonder what the measures will be ?......bursting into tears or a phone call to Obama saying "do you know who I am"

Primary school children running a country...

• Like 1

BANGKOK, 20 January 2012 (NNT) – The Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS) stated that the terror alert issued by the US would affect Thai tourism psychologically causing a lower number of arrivals. The private sector is preparing to submit a letter requesting the US embassy to cancel the warning.

Mr. Watchara Kannika, Spokesman of the MOTS, has announced the result of the committee on national tourism policy meeting that the terror warning by the US has not yet brought concrete impacts to Thai tourism, but psychological effects are likely as tourists may postpone their trips to Thailand, according the estimation by tour entrepreneurs. Mr. Watchara said the tourism sector also urged the government to hastily solve this problem. Mr Watchara indicates that the MOTS is preparing to clarify the country’s situation to the US.

nntlogo.jpg

If so why then?

Just curious

You consider exploding a huge bomb at tourist sites to be an act of a freedom fighter?

So you are ok with people that don't agree with what you believe, to target you, your family, your home, your friends, your neighbors, your work site, your tourist destinations, your restaurant, your night club, your mall, etc etc etc

including exterminating everybody that does not believe what your believe.

*edited out*

Edited by Scott
inflammatory remark edited out

Why do I get the feeling FARANGS will get blamed as a class,

and visa requirements and checks and FEES will all get harder to get by.

They should just blame the yanks.......... "Americans to the back of the queue!"

when you punish the victims, evil wins

when you punish the perps, evil loses

• Like 1

Mr. Watchara Kannika, Spokesman of the MOTS, has announced the result of the committee on national tourism policy meeting that the terror warning by the US has not yet brought concrete impacts to Thai tourism, but psychological effects are likely as tourists may postpone their trips to Thailand, according the estimation by tour entrepreneurs. Mr. Watchara said the tourism sector also urged the government to hastily solve this problem. Mr Watchara indicates that the MOTS is preparing to clarify the country’s situation to the US.

nntlogo.jpg

Numbers are down because nobody can afford to go away and people are paying there visa & master cards off due to Xmas also people can go away close to home and it's not going to cost much plus bad exchange rate doesn't help too ..And if the people did there job right from AOT & Tourism Authority of Thailand stop with all the bs they come out with on an daily basis in the newspapers things may change also maybe the police could get of there fat lazy ass's and clean up the street got rid of the scams and gangs and tuk tuk driver over changing plus the jet ski scams maybe more people would come back .. Also doesn't help with the recent floods ... OMG

Edited by nicky1982

Maybe arrested, charged and deported for inciting civil unrest or terrorism.

No terrorism in Thailand.

ohmy.png

Oh the yanks must be terrified.

ohmy.png

Whatcha gonna do.. Whatcha gonna do when Yinluck comes for you bad boys bad boys