How Would You Say "Length"?

Briggsy

Depends what you are talking about - the length of something, ความยาว, lengths of a pool in swimming, รอบ. I wouldn't have said เท่า, which means "times" as in สามเท่า - three times. ระยะ means a period (of time) or distance, as in ระยะนี้ - this period(i.e. now), or เป็นระยะๆ - from time to time.

Edited by asdecas

รอบ is the more correct word.

Patrick

Thanks.

The reason I was unsure was because รอบ suggests returning to the starting point. Thus, 2 lengths = ๑ รอบ หรือเปล่า?

You are right to be unsure รอบ means a round from start back to start when there is the opportunity to go around but until you get back to the start the process is continuous. In swimming you stop after one length and repeat the start, so I think that one length is one lap. I swim and am unsure; never competed.

Why not try สระว่ายน้ำมีความยาว 50 เมตร ผมว่ายน้ำได้ยี่สิบรอบ ก็เป็นพันเมตร then if no correction is forthcoming which I doubt there will be, you will know.

รอบ is also classifier for ตอน ระยะ which is measurable lengths or periods,. which would back up the lengths as รอบ.

A little question about 'รอบ' , since it means things calculated in cycles. Can i say every ten years is a 'รอบ'. I would like to find a classifier for 'every ten years'. For example, ในทชีวิตวงจรคนเรามี'สิบปี'กี่รอบ/มี'สิบปี'มากเพียงใด?

Edited by ChAoS87

A little question about 'รอบ' , since it means things calculated in cycles. Can i say every ten years is a 'รอบ'. I would like to find a classifier for 'every ten years'. For example, ในทชีวิตวงจรคนเรามี'สิบปี'กี่รอบ/มี'สิบปี'มากเพียงใด?

I think that if you want to classify where no classifier exists then you describe it in those terms ระยะเวลา รอบ ๑๐ ปี ชื่อ ทศวรรษ แล้วภุกได้ว่า ทสวรรษ ๒ รอบ

Looks reasonable to me, I maybe wrong.

I think that if you want to classify where no classifier exists then you describe it in those terms ระยะเวลา รอบ ๑๐ ปี ชื่อ ทศวรรษ แล้วภุกได้ว่า ทสวรรษ ๒ รอบ

Looks reasonable to me, I maybe wrong.

I don't know what I was trying for with ภุก- พูด .

I am probably making too much of it, like any noun, to avoid repeating it you can use what suits you, if you say รอบนั้น, ช่วง, ตอน or other time period it should work.