Jomtien Bar Closures

dogtim

Latest on this, according to a Thai bar owner friend, is that as of yesterday afternoon 37 bars have been closed in the Jomtien area. It is the work of a newly appointed Chonburi official who is something to do with the new government, Taksin's sister's mob. My Thai is not good enough to have understood his exact title, whether he be Governor of Chonburi, Senator or MP, but he has some sort of axe to grind. Anyone else heard anything?

Maybe this new guy thinks that shutting down Jomtien now before it becomes Pattaya 2 and keeping a half decent place to live close to Pattaya is good. I say GO FOR IT.

Bit odd if this is something coming from central government given the stranglehold that a certain family has on the province holding such posts as Major of Pattaya and Minister for Culture along with most of the MPs from the area.

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bars that have been closed in the Jomtien area do not have the license to trade that is issued from the Naklua government office. They will not issue a license for those bars for some reason but the bar owners opened for business anyway so it was just a matter of time before they were shut down.

The bars that have been closed in the Jomtien area do not have the license to trade that is issued from the Naklua government office. They will not issue a license for those bars for some reason but the bar owners opened for business anyway so it was just a matter of time before they were shut down.

At minimum, if you are going to open a business, especially a bar, in Tea thirsty Pattaya/Jomtiem, get a permit from the city or be best buddies with someone with some clout.. That was just idiotic to set-up shop and not expect some blow back.

They are constructing new beer bars like crazy.

Yes there will be something like 36 bars in that Rompho Market area alone. There's also a "Curry Hut" and a Tattooist, so its a weekend on a stick.

Latest on this, according to a Thai bar owner friend, is that as of yesterday afternoon 37 bars have been closed in the Jomtien area. It is the work of a newly appointed Chonburi official who is something to do with the new government, Taksin's sister's mob. My Thai is not good enough to have understood his exact title, whether he be Governor of Chonburi, Senator or MP, but he has some sort of axe to grind. Anyone else heard anything?

36 new bars are built at the Rompo Market and 37 bars then get shut down.

Seems like the old timers like "Fantasy bar" (in Jomtien Complex) have their licences in order and are still open.

My guess is that it is purely tea money - with such a low high season, the boys in brown need to make it somehow. Most of the newest bars in Rumpo complex are open and thriving. On the other hand, it looks like construction of the third section has stopped...

I doubt it is politically motivated.

Some of us like to shoot pool and/or have a game of darts while we drink our beer. Have you seen either of these in the sand on the beach?

No, thankfully. Neither would add much to the view.

However, if you had read my previous comment you would have noticed that my only objection to bars is the noise that some of them make. People who want to play pool or darts don't bother me at all and they are welcome to get on with it.

We can all speculate till the cows come home as to the reason these bars have been closed, and indeed, one or more of the reasons stated in this thread may well be true, or partly true.

No-one will ever know quite what or who prompted the decision to take action.

As long term Pattaya residents will know, this sort of ‘hostile action’ against the bars and brothels of the ‘greater Pattaya area' have been going on for years; sometimes it is the beer bars in central Pattaya, other times it is the Walking Street bars themselves and more recently the powers to be seem to have been targeting the Na Klua bars although for some strange reason the owners seemed to have received advanced notice of the raids and when the BIB arrived, all was found to be in order….

And of course there are so many rules that can trip you up, that if they are really determined to close you down, they will almost certainly find an excuse to do it – from not complying with permitted hours of business, to employing underage girls, to not installing VCR’s , to farang managers not having work permits, to selling alcohol to tourists on election days (in case they get drunk and fail to vote), and even –God forbid – trading in prostitution which, of course, we all know is illegal.

And if all these fail, there are always other rules that they can bring to bear, like the myriad paperwork not being in order, or even breaking the smoking regulations.

The BIB’s modus operandi is often to encourage bars to ignore closing times and other regulations, and then, when they need a bit of extra cash, make wholesale arrests and threaten to close them down unless bungs are paid.

It wasn’t that long ago that Banglamung police descended on the Darkside ‘en mass’ and went around with wholesale closure of bars who had remained open after the ‘permitted time’.

The situation was so crazy that nobody actually knew precisely what rules applied to the Darkside area –some thought it was time ‘A’ they had to close, others thought it was time ‘B’.

They also put a few places out of business who were operating as ‘short time’ establishments as it is not ’permitted’ outside of the Pattaya zone – even though, the practice is in itself illegal anywhere in Thailand!!!

We have seen some evidence of ‘bar owner power’ where the Walking Street bar owners have protested outside City Hall when they feel the Pattaya cops have gone a bit too far in damaging their businesses and I well remember the occasion in 2010, when there was a province-wide curfew due to the Red shirt riots, but the bar owners successfully persuaded the governor to allow them to remain open otherwise they would lose too much business, (and presumably the police who they feed off…)

Owning and running a bar in Thailand is fraught with these kinds of arbitrary issues and hazards on a daily basis and anyone who embarks on such a venture without being fully aware of this, is a being very short-sighted and foolish in my view and is in dire danger of losing his investment – to say nothing of ending up in jail. God knows it’s all been going on long enough. The smart ones build up a bar and then sell it on to the next mug at an extortionate profit before it gets raided or closed.

The solution to all this obfuscation and ‘enforcement’ nightmare is for the authorities to simplify and clarify the regulations: especially the opening hours for each zone and for the police to enforce them without fear or favour.

It is also high time that proper zoning for Pattaya nightlife was introduced so that everyone knows what kind of business is permitted in what area and during what hours they are permitted to trade.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the notion that the ‘girlie bars’ should be restricted to specific areas and that Jomtien should be mainly developed as a family location.

But even in Jomtien, I see no reason why they couldn’t set aside an area, maybe off the beaten track, where the single men could go and enjoy the delights of a few girlie bars, albeit in a bit more of a laid back and quiet atmosphere than the glitzy ‘in your face’ variety that inhabits the WS area.

Even though there are many out there who disagree with me, Thailand is gradually changing from a developing country into a developed country. Sure, in some respects it may still have some way to go, but in others it is already ahead of so-called developed nations.

It is high time they sorted out exactly how they wish Pattaya to develop in both the medium and long term and where the ‘red light’ business fits into this master plan.

In the long run, such a plan would be to the benefit of everyone; residents, tourists and even the bar girls and bar owners.

But….pigs might fly…..

Very well put

If anyone remembers when bars in Bangkok were open until 6:00am. Then when the new law came into effect and were supposed to close at 2:00am the police all pitched in and bough a shedload of bars in Bkk and they still remain open to this day for as long as they want.

I think the same is happening now here.

We can all speculate till the cows come home as to the reason these bars have been closed, and indeed, one or more of the reasons stated in this thread may well be true, or partly true.

No-one will ever know quite what or who prompted the decision to take action.

As long term Pattaya residents will know, this sort of ‘hostile action’ against the bars and brothels of the ‘greater Pattaya area' have been going on for years; sometimes it is the beer bars in central Pattaya, other times it is the Walking Street bars themselves and more recently the powers to be seem to have been targeting the Na Klua bars although for some strange reason the owners seemed to have received advanced notice of the raids and when the BIB arrived, all was found to be in order….

And of course there are so many rules that can trip you up, that if they are really determined to close you down, they will almost certainly find an excuse to do it – from not complying with permitted hours of business, to employing underage girls, to not installing VCR’s , to farang managers not having work permits, to selling alcohol to tourists on election days (in case they get drunk and fail to vote), and even –God forbid – trading in prostitution which, of course, we all know is illegal.

And if all these fail, there are always other rules that they can bring to bear, like the myriad paperwork not being in order, or even breaking the smoking regulations.

The BIB’s modus operandi is often to encourage bars to ignore closing times and other regulations, and then, when they need a bit of extra cash, make wholesale arrests and threaten to close them down unless bungs are paid.

It wasn’t that long ago that Banglamung police descended on the Darkside ‘en mass’ and went around with wholesale closure of bars who had remained open after the ‘permitted time’.

The situation was so crazy that nobody actually knew precisely what rules applied to the Darkside area –some thought it was time ‘A’ they had to close, others thought it was time ‘B’.

They also put a few places out of business who were operating as ‘short time’ establishments as it is not ’permitted’ outside of the Pattaya zone – even though, the practice is in itself illegal anywhere in Thailand!!!

We have seen some evidence of ‘bar owner power’ where the Walking Street bar owners have protested outside City Hall when they feel the Pattaya cops have gone a bit too far in damaging their businesses and I well remember the occasion in 2010, when there was a province-wide curfew due to the Red shirt riots, but the bar owners successfully persuaded the governor to allow them to remain open otherwise they would lose too much business, (and presumably the police who they feed off…)

Owning and running a bar in Thailand is fraught with these kinds of arbitrary issues and hazards on a daily basis and anyone who embarks on such a venture without being fully aware of this, is a being very short-sighted and foolish in my view and is in dire danger of losing his investment – to say nothing of ending up in jail. God knows it’s all been going on long enough. The smart ones build up a bar and then sell it on to the next mug at an extortionate profit before it gets raided or closed.

The solution to all this obfuscation and ‘enforcement’ nightmare is for the authorities to simplify and clarify the regulations: especially the opening hours for each zone and for the police to enforce them without fear or favour.

It is also high time that proper zoning for Pattaya nightlife was introduced so that everyone knows what kind of business is permitted in what area and during what hours they are permitted to trade.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the notion that the ‘girlie bars’ should be restricted to specific areas and that Jomtien should be mainly developed as a family location.

But even in Jomtien, I see no reason why they couldn’t set aside an area, maybe off the beaten track, where the single men could go and enjoy the delights of a few girlie bars, albeit in a bit more of a laid back and quiet atmosphere than the glitzy ‘in your face’ variety that inhabits the WS area.

Even though there are many out there who disagree with me, Thailand is gradually changing from a developing country into a developed country. Sure, in some respects it may still have some way to go, but in others it is already ahead of so-called developed nations.

It is high time they sorted out exactly how they wish Pattaya to develop in both the medium and long term and where the ‘red light’ business fits into this master plan.

In the long run, such a plan would be to the benefit of everyone; residents, tourists and even the bar girls and bar owners.

But….pigs might fly…..

Excellent post Mobi

Yes, this is a prevalent story. However, there is a variation, which explains that the guy moving out, is expected to produce lots of dosh, on arrival at his new location --- sort of proving his bona fides or something --- or maybe it's a transfer fee, as per football. Either way the water becomes very murky indeed.

There are some Thai people who do not approve of this behaviour, quite strongly actually.

Yes these bar closures throughout Jomtien seem to make Pattaya more competitive for business again, high season in a bad tourist year was a very stategic time to spring these "raids" - a 1 month closure will finish some bars. I think Jomtien would have suffered badly enough for the last 4+ years with the Thappraya Road upgrade which drove many out of business in Jomtien and kept tourists in Pattaya rather than suffer the choking dust and traffic problems while construction continued ever so slowly!!!

Of course Darrel wouldn't use a bar for drinking - beer is so much cheaper at the 7-11.

I don't think most residents of Pattaya would be bothered making the trek to Jomtien for a beer, roadworks or not.

Weekends Jomtien gets very busy with BangkokThais and farangs trying to escape the big city. I have friends that vacation in Pattaya but come here to use the beach and chill out from the traffic and madness.

That is a good one! I am at a hotel in Bangkok right now. Why? To escape from the horrible noise and chaos and crap environment in Jomtien, especially soi.5 to soi 8. I did talk with a bar girl before I left who told me the police were getting complaints about late-night noise and also they want to make things "better for Russian tourists." I am sure the noise-makers have pissed off some hotel owners in the area. Anybody who lives there knows that the girls scream to 3:00 am in the morning......concussion bombs go off along with fireworks all night long........and a Thai man (dressed up as a clown) w/ his "girlfriend" go from place to place and set up some huge speakers and sing the worst farang songs imaginable from 8:00 to 3:00 am. Horrible noise pollution and it needs to stop. I hope all of the bars get moved to down where the Aussie Bar complex is. Nobody can sleep! They are driving away tourists and long stay expats.

Yes these bar closures throughout Jomtien seem to make Pattaya more competitive for business again, high season in a bad tourist year was a very stategic time to spring these "raids" - a 1 month closure will finish some bars. I think Jomtien would have suffered badly enough for the last 4+ years with the Thappraya Road upgrade which drove many out of business in Jomtien and kept tourists in Pattaya rather than suffer the choking dust and traffic problems while construction continued ever so slowly!!!

Of course Darrel wouldn't use a bar for drinking - beer is so much cheaper at the 7-11.

I don't think most residents of Pattaya would be bothered making the trek to Jomtien for a beer, roadworks or not.

Weekends Jomtien gets very busy with BangkokThais and farangs trying to escape the big city. I have friends that vacation in Pattaya but come here to use the beach and chill out from the traffic and madness.

That is a good one! I am at a hotel in Bangkok right now. Why? To escape from the horrible noise and chaos and crap environment in Jomtien, especially soi.5 to soi 8. I did talk with a bar girl before I left who told me the police were getting complaints about late-night noise and also they want to make things "better for Russian tourists." I am sure the noise-makers have pissed off some hotel owners in the area. Anybody who lives there knows that the girls scream to 3:00 am in the morning......concussion bombs go off along with fireworks all night long........and a Thai man (dressed up as a clown) w/ his "girlfriend" go from place to place and set up some huge speakers and sing the worst farang songs imaginable from 8:00 to 3:00 am. Horrible noise pollution and it needs to stop. I hope all of the bars get moved to down where the Aussie Bar complex is. Nobody can sleep! They are driving away tourists and long stay expats.

Sounds like I moved out of View Talay Villa's just in time, never been back there at night time but you paint an horrific picture, we did in fact see this coming and that is why we moved.

Anything that drives away the Russians is ok by me!

Typical type statement that you find talking to somone in a beer bar over here on their annual 2-4 week 'holiday'.....all experts on what is good for Pattaya

Anyone with half a brain would see if Russion tourism stopped tomorrow, Pattaya would be a shell of what it is today....

• Like 1

So you are saying to escape the madness of Jomtien you stay in Bangkok escape the noise and traffic (probably the pollution too) - you are too funny!!giggle.gif

• Like 1

A lot of farangs who live in Jomtien see the Rom Pho market bars (& restaurants/food sellers) area as a great new & affordable entertainment (and dining) venue in Jomtien, that will hopefully "get the bugs out of the system" soon so things will settle down and they can properly take care of their customers and.make a fair profit in the process.

cool.png

Edited by Michaelaway
  • Like 1

Sounds like I moved out of View Talay Villa's just in time, never been back there at night time but you paint an horrific picture, we did in fact see this coming and that is why we moved.

I walk past the entrance to VTV most evenings, on my way to the night food area near the market/bar complex, and I find it pretty quiet (apart from a bit of traffic and one-offs like the huge outdoor meal/meeting they set up in the market a week or two ago). Admittedly I never go down Soi 5 towards the beach, and nor do I go into any of the other sois further along Beach Rd. Beach Rd itself between the police box and Soi 5 seems to be quiet also.

The actual 2nd Rd bar area itself doesnt seem to have any loud music in it either, at least whenever I've strolled around it after eating. Perhaps it all gets noisier after 9pm? I'm back at home by then.

So you are saying to escape the madness of Jomtien you stay in Bangkok escape the noise and traffic (probably the pollution too) - you are too funny!!giggle.gif

Sounds strange, I know. I never thought, ever, that I would have to go to Bangkok to get away from the crap/noise in Pattaya-Jomtien. Believe it or not, it is actually quiet where I stay and the place does not smell like a sewer. But I stay at a special hotel and no way I am going to tell people where it is other than to say it is close to the river. Yes, in Bangkok the traffic is bad and so is the air, but not all day long. Unfortunately, Pattaya-Jomtien really is getting polluted in many ways. The cancer cell motto "all growth is good" development plan has failed. Somebody at City Hall needs to think about quality of life when they put together a development plan. The truth is that neither Bangkok nor Pattaya-Jomtien are for me anymore.......so? I will move eventually.

I had a look around last night, most bars seemed to be open, Country Road and the gogo opposite, which is actually "showing" now, this is new for this bar since a long time ago, were open. I left there about 2.30am, great music video's.

F. Dolpins and Country club, the live music place, are still closed plus a couple of small bars. The new bars on 2nd road all appeared to be open.

So I can't see where the 37 closed bars are, unless they are on the soi's off beach road.

I am pissed off about the FD as it was good for the football, and I feel sorry for the hard working couple that run it, to be able to put their daughter though Uni

Anything that drives away the Russians is ok by me!

Typical type statement that you find talking to somone in a beer bar over here on their annual 2-4 week 'holiday'.....all experts on what is good for Pattaya

Anyone with half a brain would see if Russion tourism stopped tomorrow, Pattaya would be a shell of what it is today....

agree with you but so many racist people here.........

many stupid people not understand the world is changing quicly .......no more comment