Legendary blues singer Etta James dies at age 73

News_Editor

Legendary blues singer Etta James dies at age 73

2012-01-21 17:58:28 GMT+7 (ICT)

RIVERSIDE, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- Legendary rhythm and blues singer Etta James died as a result of complications from leukemia on Friday morning, her longtime friend and manager said in a statement. She was 73.

James, born as Jamesetta Hawkins in Los Angeles in 1938, died at Riverside Community Hospital in the California city of Riverside on Friday morning, just five days short of her 74th birthday. James was a six-time Grammy award winner.

Although she interpreted a large number of songs in a variety of music genres such as rock and roll and gospel, she is probably best known for her interpretation of Glenn Miller's 1941 song 'At Last'. Among her hit songs are also 'Tell Mama,' 'Something's Got a Hold on Me,' 'Dance with me, Henry,' and 'I'd Rather go Blind.'

During her successful music career, which began in the 1950s, James encountered a number of problems related to her drug use and addiction. Besides continuous treatment at drug rehabilitation centers, she was also involved in several legal problems as she was accused of cashing bad checks, forgery, and possession of heroin.

James had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2008 and, in January 2010, she was hospitalized to treat an infection caused by MRSA. She had also been associated with drug induced dementia before being diagnosed with leukemia early last year.

"She passed away this morning. Cause of death was complications from leukemia," said Lupe De Leon, a longtime friend and manager of James. Her husband Artis Mills and sons Donto James and Sametto James were by her side.

"This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world," De Leon added. "She was a true original who could sing it all -- her music defied category. I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-21