Abhisit: We Didn't Overlook Poor

webfact

'We didn't overlook poor'

The Nation

Opposition Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva dismissed criticism that during his premiership the Democrat Party had done little to help the poor.

Abhisit was speaking at the party's seminar in Ubon Ratchathani, attended by 126 party branch chairmen and party members and party heavyweights, such as Chuan Leekpai and Korn Chatikavanij.

Abhisit said the Democrat Party helped the poor by allowing free use of electricity, lowering taxes on farmers with smaller plots of land, and placing the oil price ceiling at not more than Bt30 per litre. In contrast, the Yingluck government was set to scrap several social welfare policies soon, he said.

Abhisit said the Yingluck government added to the financial burden on the public by raising the prices of oil and rice, and charging the poor for electricity use.

Abhisit said he believed the people of Isaan still had faith in the party because its candidates received more than 10,000 votes in many constituencies. The reason the party had fewer MPs in this region was they had too little time to prepare for the election, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-23

One doesn't help the poor by creating dependency, but by providing the means such as education and opportunities through which the poor can help themselves. Some may call that old fashioned, but it works. The road to prosperity starts with removing the barriers of discrimination and by attacking corruption.

I find it insulting that there is mention of the Abhisit health care program for the poor. It did not deliver on promised benefits nor assistance, but did deliver on allowing cronies and friends to stuff their pockets. In case anyone has forgotten, the Banlu inquiry arose when health officials responsible for the programs for the poor raised the alarm and provided evidence of rampant corruption. How about the bribery, price fixing and kickbacks on the supply of medicines and medical equipment (e.g. the ambulances),the inflated construction costs etc.. Public Health Minister and Democrat MP Vittaya Kaewparadai was forced to resign. He was joinded by the mercenary BJP Manit Nopamornbodi his deputy minister. This corruption scandal was a result of Minister Korn's infamous stimulus program that increased spending, but offered no additional controls or oversight.

The Democrats really helped feed the poor with their stinky fish debacle. Remember Social Development and Human Security Minister Vitoon Nambutr, the man that was responsible for the pruchase and distribution of rotten canned fish to the victims of the flooding? And who can forget the infamous approximate 7billion baht purchase of the fire trucks? The Democrat Governor of Bangkok Apirak was finally indicted by the NCCC in November 2008 despite all sorts of attempts to stop it. The Abhisit government could have helped the poor by taking a stand on corruption.

My all time favourite is the Abhisit-Korn Sufficiency Economy initiative that saw the Democrats take the Thaksin leftover program and claim it for their own. When the corruption scandal ensued, they then tried to blame Thaksin, despite having been the government running the program.

Oh yes, the Democrats really took care of the poor. That's why the Democrat MPs as a whole saw their net worth skyrocket during the limited time Abhisit was in office. In plain language, I believe that the Democrats punished the poor. Here, read this;

http://www.tcijthai....ative-story/793

4 นักการเมืองที่ทรัพย์สินเปลี่ยนแปลงเพิ่มขึ้นมากกว่า 100 ล้านบาท

(Loosely translated, MPs with an increase in net worth of over 100 million baht) Surprise, surprise, all of them are Democrats.

And before anyone goes off on a tangent about Thaksin and how corrupt he was, the OPhere is about Abhisit denying the claims he did little for the poor. What I list is factual and I defy anyone to deny it. If you want to refute it, bring out the facts, not silly allegations about Thaksin or the perceived inadequacies of the current government. Just another illustration as to why Abhisit et al were and are unelectable. Because of his failings and the Democrats refusal to stake out the higher ground and to commit to integrity, we are stuck with the Thaksin group.

clap2.gifclap2.gif Here, hear. Spot on.

Abhisit was speaking at the party's seminar in Ubon Ratchathani, attended by 126 party branch chairmen and party members and party heavyweights, such as Chuan Leekpai and Korn Chatikavanij.

Wonder what was on the menu at that do! rolleyes.gif

Doubling the army budget and then using them to shoot the people. That is undoubtedly plenty to fail dismally in Isaan for the foreseeable future, Mr. Privileged.

Come on... they only shot people who had been told time and time again to go home or they were gonna be shot... how many times does the government have to tell lawbreakers to go home or else... and guess what...The or else happened... and how can lawbreakers receive compensation ... Only in Thailand..

One doesn't help the poor by creating dependency, but by providing the means such as education and opportunities through which the poor can help themselves. Some may call that old fashioned, but it works. The road to prosperity starts with removing the barriers of discrimination and by attacking corruption.

I find it insulting that there is mention of the Abhisit health care program for the poor. It did not deliver on promised benefits nor assistance, but did deliver on allowing cronies and friends to stuff their pockets. In case anyone has forgotten, the Banlu inquiry arose when health officials responsible for the programs for the poor raised the alarm and provided evidence of rampant corruption. How about the bribery, price fixing and kickbacks on the supply of medicines and medical equipment (e.g. the ambulances),the inflated construction costs etc.. Public Health Minister and Democrat MP Vittaya Kaewparadai was forced to resign. He was joinded by the mercenary BJP Manit Nopamornbodi his deputy minister. This corruption scandal was a result of Minister Korn's infamous stimulus program that increased spending, but offered no additional controls or oversight.

The Democrats really helped feed the poor with their stinky fish debacle. Remember Social Development and Human Security Minister Vitoon Nambutr, the man that was responsible for the pruchase and distribution of rotten canned fish to the victims of the flooding? And who can forget the infamous approximate 7billion baht purchase of the fire trucks? The Democrat Governor of Bangkok Apirak was finally indicted by the NCCC in November 2008 despite all sorts of attempts to stop it. The Abhisit government could have helped the poor by taking a stand on corruption.

My all time favourite is the Abhisit-Korn Sufficiency Economy initiative that saw the Democrats take the Thaksin leftover program and claim it for their own. When the corruption scandal ensued, they then tried to blame Thaksin, despite having been the government running the program.

Oh yes, the Democrats really took care of the poor. That's why the Democrat MPs as a whole saw their net worth skyrocket during the limited time Abhisit was in office. In plain language, I believe that the Democrats punished the poor. Here, read this;

(Loosely translated, MPs with an increase in net worth of over 100 million baht) Surprise, surprise, all of them are Democrats.

And before anyone goes off on a tangent about Thaksin and how corrupt he was, the OPhere is about Abhisit denying the claims he did little for the poor. What I list is factual and I defy anyone to deny it. If you want to refute it, bring out the facts, not silly allegations about Thaksin or the perceived inadequacies of the current government. Just another illustration as to why Abhisit et al were and are unelectable. Because of his failings and the Democrats refusal to stake out the higher ground and to commit to integrity, we are stuck with the Thaksin group.

You can demand all you like g'kid that posters only comment within the boundaries that you dictate. Personally I will reply to you in any way that I choose.

Thailand does have a constitution which supports freedom of speech.

You also try to demand that people only quote facts, perhaps you could lead the way by always answering requests from posters to yourself to quote facts, support your points.

Who can ever forget about the infamous 7 billion baht purchase or fire trucks and fireboats.

Wasn't that all set up by Samak and his cronies before Apirak was elected?

As I remember Apirak didn't actually have to resign as Governer to fight the case which is still ongoing.

He did it the way that all honest politicians should (but generally don't) do.

AFAIR Samak was a crony of Thaksin.

• Like 1

Doubling the army budget and then using them to shoot the people. That is undoubtedly plenty to fail dismally in Isaan for the foreseeable future, Mr. Privileged.

Come on... they only shot people who had been told time and time again to go home or they were gonna be shot... how many times does the government have to tell lawbreakers to go home or else... and guess what...The or else happened... and how can lawbreakers receive compensation ... Only in Thailand..

Including a nurse tending those already shot, inside the temple grounds?

• Like 1

How ridiculous and naive can you get, a shizen one sided view, for sure 100%. backing up a regime bent on gaining power, conning the poor to get IN power, you people make me sick with your biased view. Take a look at reality Ger-kid in particular, all that post, attempting to make others look bad and overlooking what is ACTUALLY bad, just compare Abhisits promises to the people=he didn't promise what he couldn't implement, not like this lot of money grabbers, what promises have they kept. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I would be very shy if I posted the junk that ger-kid posts and along with your version of the bad army--the bad army was the red one.

• Like 1

As usual posters are too busy fighting each other rather than discussing facts. The basic fact is that no government has ever done anything for the poor in Thailand unless it was a surefire vote winner. Furthermore NO government can effectively help the poor until they have the opportunities and education to help themselves. Remember the old saying., " give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish he will eat every day"?

• Like 1

Who can ever forget about the infamous 7 billion baht purchase or fire trucks and fireboats.

As I remember Apirak didn't actually have to resign as Governer to fight the case which is still ongoing.

If Abhisit / Apirak are innocent, they have nothing to worry about.

In Thailand, we presume everybody is innocent until found guilty.

There is no blacklist like in the USA.

You can demand all you like g'kid that posters only comment within the boundaries that you dictate. Personally I will reply to you in any way that I choose.

You also try to demand that people only quote facts, perhaps you could lead the way by always answering requests from posters to yourself to quote facts, support your points.

I agree entirely with your insistence upon freedom to express opinions, but given this forum's tendency to wander or be led into tangential dead-ends, it might be more interesting to discuss the subject itself rather than other matters. I know that will not happen but it would be more informative if the subject were limited to the OP without involving the doomsday scenarios of the future under the present government.

• Like 1

As usual posters are too busy fighting each other rather than discussing facts. The basic fact is that no government has ever done anything for the poor in Thailand unless it was a surefire vote winner. Furthermore NO government can effectively help the poor until they have the opportunities and education to help themselves. Remember the old saying., " give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish he will eat every day"?

Well before the election there was a very good article written by a thai enrepeneur in the "other newspaper" referred to by some as the Tokyo Rose making the same point about Abhisit and his handouts (bribes). "Give them fishing rods not fish."

The poor certainly overlooked Abhisit Vejjajiva and his Democrat Party, another 90 or so would have also overlooked the Democrats if they were still alive.

And the 3000+ who stopped breathing durung the so called war on drugs. Who was in power then? No don't tell me, it'll come to me in a minute.

Like this lot have done a lot to help the poor. Corporation tax reductions, and making it easier to buy your 1st car.

I think GK conveniently forgot that the Fire Truck scandal was actually under Samak - if I'm not mistaken Apirak only signed the Letter of Credit or Bank Guarantee, and probably had no choice as the trucks were already sat in Thailand.

Neither party has actually done much for the poor, but PT have just been better at pulling the wool over their eyes.

Including a nurse tending those already shot, inside the temple grounds?

They were all told time and again. They knew what they were a part of and what was going to happen. It wasn't the alleged nurse who finally gave them a dose of their own medicine. Whining over their job position is just playing martyr/victim when they were certainly not. Would you aid and help and support these rogues and thugs if you were qualified in medicine? Those thugs even stormed a hospital.

Edited by gemini81

You write, but your statement says nothing. I ask that the thread stay on topic. I also state that if someone wishes to refute my points, then provide countering arguments, actual facts. You did not, because you cannot, The fact of the matter is that there was a committee of inquiry into the corruption at the health ministry, corruption that arose as a result of the "stimulus" spending. What I wrote reflects the published factual findings. Do you now deny that the Democrat appointed Ministers did not resign? Do you deny that there was obfuscation and meddling when charges were attempted in the Bangkok fire truck purchase? All of these corrupt acts drained money away from poor.

How ridiculous and naive can you get, a shizen one sided view, for sure 100%. backing up a regime bent on gaining power, conning the poor to get IN power, you people make me sick with your biased view. Take a look at reality Ger-kid in particular, all that post, attempting to make others look bad and overlooking what is ACTUALLY bad, just compare Abhisits promises to the people=he didn't promise what he couldn't implement, not like this lot of money grabbers, what promises have they kept. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I would be very shy if I posted the junk that ger-kid posts and along with your version of the bad army--the bad army was the red one.

How is what I wrote junk? Are you now saying that the inquiry that was forced on the government did not happen and that the report was a fabrication? Are you now saying that the ministers did not resign? Are you now claiming that there was no tainted fish scandal? What exactly is junk? The fact of the matter is that corruption was bigger and bolder under the Abhisit reign. Corruption is the biggest obstacle to improving the life of the poor. The squandering of an opportunity to govern in an honest manner and to attack corruption hurt the poor. we wouldn't be facing the never ending saga of Thaksin if the Democrats had done the right thing.

One doesn't help the poor by creating dependency, but by providing the means such as education and opportunities through which the poor can help themselves. Some  may call that old fashioned, but it works. The road to prosperity starts with removing the barriers of discrimination and by attacking corruption.

I find it insulting that there is mention of the Abhisit health care program for the poor. It  did not  deliver on promised benefits nor assistance, but did deliver on allowing cronies and friends to stuff their pockets. In case anyone has forgotten, the Banlu inquiry arose when health officials responsible for the programs for the poor raised the alarm and provided  evidence of rampant corruption.  How about the  bribery, price fixing and kickbacks on the supply of medicines and medical equipment (e.g. the ambulances),the inflated construction costs etc.. Public Health Minister and Democrat MP  Vittaya Kaewparadai was forced to resign. He was joinded by the  mercenary BJP  Manit Nopamornbodi his deputy minister.  This  corruption scandal was a result of Minister Korn's infamous stimulus program that increased spending, but offered no additional controls or oversight.

The Democrats really helped feed the poor with  their stinky fish debacle. Remember Social Development and Human Security Minister Vitoon Nambutr,  the man that was responsible for the pruchase and distribution of rotten canned fish to  the victims of the flooding? And who can forget the infamous approximate 7billion baht  purchase of the  fire trucks? The Democrat Governor of Bangkok Apirak was finally indicted  by the NCCC in November 2008 despite all sorts of attempts to stop it. The Abhisit government could have helped the poor by taking a stand on corruption.

My all time favourite is the Abhisit-Korn Sufficiency Economy initiative that saw the Democrats take the Thaksin leftover program and claim it for their own. When the corruption  scandal ensued, they then tried to blame Thaksin, despite having been the government running the program.

Oh yes, the Democrats really took care of the poor. That's why the Democrat MPs as a whole saw their net worth skyrocket during the  limited time Abhisit was in office. In plain language, I believe that the Democrats punished the poor. Here, read this;

(Loosely translated, MPs with an increase in net worth of  over 100 million baht) Surprise, surprise, all of them are Democrats.

And before anyone goes off on a tangent about Thaksin and how corrupt he was, the OPhere is about Abhisit  denying the claims he did little for the poor. What I list is factual and I defy anyone to deny it. If you want to refute it, bring out the facts, not silly allegations about Thaksin or the perceived inadequacies of the current government.   Just another illustration as to why  Abhisit et al were and are unelectable. Because of his failings and the Democrats refusal to stake out the higher ground and to commit to integrity, we are stuck with  the Thaksin group.

Never mind, too lazy to tear this apart in a well-mannered, well-founded way. One of these days I'll pluck some snippets from the web and use them to 'really' proof that this year will be one of the longest in history, at least by a single second

Edited by rubl

Never mind, too lazy to tear this apart in a well-mannered, well-founded way. One of these days I'll pluck some snippets from the web and use them to 'really' proof that this year will be one of the longest in history, at least by a single second

Don't be lazy, uncle, just do it . You know it makes sense really.

Geriatrickid#28

Corruption was bigger under Abhist,you are a Joker 100% by your thinking he was the worst of the worst, and this lot are the best of the best.

You are sooooooo missing the point (as you usually do) . Abhisit had no control over the rampant corruption that occured under his so-called watch. This was rammed in everyones faces by the attempt by Abhisit to reign in army corruption over the fake bomb detector. The then army chief of staff, Anupong, had a press conference to slap Abhisit down during which Thailand's best pathologist prostituted her reputation to suppoirt corruption by Anupong's army group.

Nice cop out. You cannot refute so you resort to a lame comment.

Good job.