Advise Needed

here is the story. I am a Belgian national who has been staying in thailand now for 5 years but never saw a reason to apply for anything other then tourist visas as I work on cruise ships so I am most of the time 4 months on and 3 off. I do have a son here who has the dual nationality and has my name. I am also officialy registered in my own embassy here in the kingdom. Can i based on this apply for a one year visa based on supporting a thai national (my son) and if yes how do i do it. i investigated this once a few years ago in the immigration office where they told me not married no visa. I am not married to the mother of my son and not sure if we wont to for personal believe reasons.

anyone with some answers??

Dirk

Short answer is no. You would require a court order type paperwork for the child as his support to apply and with your work schedule it probably would not work out in any case as you are required to be in Thailand at renewal time each year.

What you might be able to obtain, on the basis of your child and with his birth certificate (and would not hurt to have letter from mother and copy of her id card as extra proof and if you have bank account here take passbook) is to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate such a Penang. This would suit your employment as each entry you would be allowed a 90 day stay and be free to travel at any time. Visa would be valid for one year at a time.

He became 4 years old in spetember

When he is 7 years old, he can sign a letter that you are the father and at that time you will NOT need to go to the court system to sue the mother of your son for custody( this would be required now as he is 4 years old). You then can get a extension of stay based on support when he is 7.

www.lawyer.th.com

When he is 7 years old, he can sign a letter that you are the father and at that time you will NOT need to go to the court system to sue the mother of your son for custody( this would be required now as he is 4 years old). You then can get a extension of stay based on support when he is 7.

www.lawyer.th.com

This is one of the most interesting reply on a subject I have ever read in this forum so far. Can you please provide more details.

Thanks

Required documents to apply for the extension of stay for a alien father or mother to support children who are a Thai Citizen

#Immigration form 7

#A copy of passport

#A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph

#1,900 baht application fee

#Evidence indicating the parental status; birth certificate or a judicial custody order of the child( required if under 7 years old)

#Evidence presenting financial status ( 400,000 Baht):

Bank pass-book, bank statement certifying amount of money in the applicant's account, a certified documents of money transferring from oversea or evidence of income with related documents

#A record of interviewing the applicant

#The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents if necessary

#In most cases, the request will not be approved if the alien parents sponsor an adopted child who is a Thai citizen

www.lawyer.th.com

www.lawyer.th.com

I dont realy understrand though sign a paper stating I am his father or sueing his mother for custody he is allready officialy my son legaly confirmed as well as for the Belgian governement as the Thai. He has my name on both pasports as he has dual nationality and all??????

www.lawyer.th.com

I dont realy understrand though sign a paper stating I am his father or sueing his mother for custody he is allready officialy my son legaly confirmed as well as for the Belgian governement as the Thai. He has my name on both pasports as he has dual nationality and all??????

Duality of citizenship does not prove custody

www.lawyer.th.com

Duality of citizenship does not prove custody

But a signed letter from a 7y old will prove it???

When he is 7 years old, he can sign a letter that you are the father and at that time you will NOT need to go to the court system to sue the mother of your son for custody ( this would be required now as he is 4 years old). You then can get a extension of stay based on support when he is 7.

www.lawyer.th.com

Dirk, Getting a 12 month multi non-imm o visa based on supporting a thai child is very easy. As lopburi3 says , your best bet is Penang. All i have taken is my sons birth certificate showing me as the father and have had no problems.

Getting the yearly extension on the same basis is a differant matter . Not easy. You must have legal custody of the child and the mother must be totally out of the picture. A few posters here have indicated that they intended to persue the legal custody path but i am yet to see a positive outcome.

Dirk, Getting a 12 month multi non-imm o visa based on supporting a thai child is very easy. As lopburi3 says , your best bet is Penang. All i have taken is my sons birth certificate showing me as the father and have had no problems.

Getting the yearly extension on the same basis is a differant matter . Not easy. You must have legal custody of the child and the mother must be totally out of the picture. A few posters here have indicated that they intended to persue the legal custody path but i am yet to see a positive outcome.

I agree getting the visa was very easy.

Getting the visa extended is complicated but not immpossible, I have just been approved for my second extension based on supporting a thai child.

Here is a

link

to a previous post on the subject.

hope this helps.

CMG

But a signed letter from a 7y old will prove it???
The Thai courts have determined that at 7 years old, the child can determine who their father is and is able to confirm that at the Amphur.
dont realy understrand though sign a paper stating I am his father or sueing his mother for custody he is allready officialy my son legaly confirmed as well as for the Belgian governement as the Thai. He has my name on both pasports as he has dual nationality and all??????

Even if you and the mother of the child, were the very best of friends and she gave her full blessing for you to support the child and wanted you to obtain an extension of stay based on that support. You still would need to sue her for custody if the child is under 7 years old to get the judicial custody order of the child which is required for the extension of stay. 7 years or order than the child can testify by signing that you are the father. That’s the law.

Remember this is the case that you are NOT married to the mother of the child.

www.lawyer.th.com