How Do You Cope/Plan To Cope In Thailand When 70+

Old Croc

In another thread someone suggested 70 was just middleaged, and It made me wonder how many older expats are living in Thailand and how they cope with life here when the body no longer does what the mind wants (or even perhaps when the mind goes missing!) There is no nursing home option readily available without going through the whole emigration process again.

Are you completely reliant on your partner to provide care, now, and onto the inevitable decrepitation and death? Do you have another plan? How will you cope towards the end? What steps are you taking preparing for this inevitability?

I know we have a number of members on Thaivisa aged 70+ who enjoy life and still sample all the delights Thailand has to offer as if they were in their 20s. (Ian!) How many of you are out there? I have noticed many expats here don't seem to make it out of their 60s. More than I would expect in my own country. Death comes through illness, misadventure, and at times, by their own hand. But how many are still forging on in their 70s, 80s, 90,s or more?

I'd like to hear from the oldies (beyond middleage) about how life is for you and how you think it will be as the years unfold.

(Incidentily I'm 63, have a number of medical issues which restricts my mobility, but plan to live here for many years yet. )

It would be nice to have a discussion without all the silly answers and tired ageist jokes, but I'm sure SC won't be able to help himself.

Its a long way off for me yet; I am more worried about how I will keep working till I'm 70 to make sure my pension is adequate.

I'm afraid I am struggling to make light of this topic, despite the challenge in the OP; suffice to say that my dear late grandmother's 80th birthday party - her last in her own home, if I recollect rightly - was the last one that we really enjoyed, and over the following fifteen years it became gradually more distressing for my mother looking after her, till eventually, she went into a home for a few years - something that no-one wanted, but at the time it was the least unpalateable.

A more pressing question is how I will contribute to the care of my own parents, who stand on the threshold of their dotage...

SC

A more pressing question is how I will contribute to the care of my own parents, who stand on the threshold of their dotage...

SC

Assuming you have brothers/sisters just leave it to them since you'll be taking care of your Thai mrs's parents.

SC

Assuming you have brothers/sisters just leave it to them since you'll be taking care of your Thai mrs's parents.

My life was on hold for several years looking after my mother. Had organised my sister for the job, she got all the money, but she died first.

Delayed my move to Thailand by about five good years.