WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to host TV show

News_Editor

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies about his hosting. I saw him being interviewed on television once (I don't recall the program/channel etc.) and he got upset and walked out.

I've seen him a few other times on television, but nothing in enough detail to form an accurate opinion. What I've seen so far, however, is that being a tv personality isn't one of his strengths.

It was a case of address the OP rather than other posters, such behavior is baiting and inflammatory. If it continues, suspensions will be issued.

He came to the interview as spokesperson for wikileaks to discuss the release of classified U.S. government documents regarding the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, But the interviewer asked him question about his personal life.

Mr Assange: "This interview is about something else, I'm going to walk if you're going to contaminate us revealing the deaths of 104,000 people with attacks against my person."

He said that a few times but the interviewer kept the focus on his private life. Mr Assange walked out. That was on CNN.

In another case an ABC journalists wanted to discuss details like this: "“I was in the courtroom all these times, and there was talk of forcibly spreading her legs, holding her down so she couldn’t move…” Assagne: "C'mon, c'mon. I'm sorry. C'mon, c'mon. " and starts to leave. His last words for the reporter: "Tabloid Schmuck"

Tabloid Schmucks 0

Julian Assange 2

Assange has class. He knows how to deal with the media, knows how to run the show and knows how to make his points.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, gopnarak, but I think you are missing my point. I don't have a strong opinion about Julian Assange one way or the other. I don't have a strong opinion about Wikileaks either--other than reading a lot of the cables with great interest. I don't doubt his intelligence.

I simply am curious about his ability to hold the interest of a viewing audience on a television program. What I've seen of him on television has not been impressive. I saw the CNN interview, but not the ABC one. There have been a few other snippets on television, but nothing that would lead me think that hosting a show is his calling. But, as I said, I don't know.

By the way, I've watched a few reporters get really nervous when guests just won't answer those questions. The host can get very nervous when there are few minutes of deadly silence--all the network hears is the sound of people changing channels.

I simply am curious about his ability to hold the interest of a viewing audience on a television program. What I've seen of him on television has not been impressive. I saw the CNN interview, but not the ABC one. There have been a few other snippets on television, but nothing that would lead me think that hosting a show is his calling. But, as I said, I don't know.

By the way, I've watched a few reporters get really nervous when guests just won't answer those questions. The host can get very nervous when there are few minutes of deadly silence--all the network hears is the sound of people changing channels.

True but at the same time most talk shows rely on the guest. In those case you saw him as a guest & I agree I am not sure he would make a good one.

Unless of course he went into the details most are interested in.

But being a host/reporter would seem a lot easier & again depend on how interesting the guest is. Questions could all be thought of well in advance so hopefully no real dead spots like you mentioned.

Although I have not watched much TV in a long time when I did I thought folks like Letterman made it look easy. So relaxed & let the guest do the work.

Same with Johnny Carson.

You could be right.

I think hosting entertainment shows such as Leno, Carson, Letterman is a little different. They can select a wide variety of people and interests to host and it the discussion doesn't require much depth--it's entertainment, after all.

Just based on what I've seen of Assange, and that is not enough to make an informed comment, he doesn't seem like the type to host an on-going program. It would be interesting to see him being interviewed in a controlled setting where the personal questions are left out.

At this point, his legal problems are on-going, so he has every right to not answer questions about an on-going legal situation.

Thanks for the reply, gopnarak, but I think you are missing my point. I don't have a strong opinion about Julian Assange one way or the other. I don't have a strong opinion about Wikileaks either--other than reading a lot of the cables with great interest. I don't doubt his intelligence.

I think he is not going to challenge or to replace one of the big favorite prime time uncles every nation has and who started their career before before remote controls became standard or the cable offered dozens of choices to skip to something totally different.

Its a 30 minute show, I don't know what the format will finally look like. Is it just 30 minute talk, live, on a stage, podium, in front of an audience and without any cuts and editing or something with a lots of edits and some fancy arty experimental elements and insider jokes for neil postman fans added. There are many ways how interviews can be presented or how to made a 30 minute show. Could be in the end some dry academic talk or nerd stuff.

I mentioned the "Tabloid Schmuck" anecdote to suggest what it will probably not be, but also not something outstanding revolutionary.

Its just 30 minutes of -tainment on cable TV.

Assange has his followers and fans, his name and the names of the guests will bring in the audience. Even if his qualities as all American TV personality are just rated as mediocre - i don't think the producer have a target group in mind that would diss him for this.

At this point, his legal problems are on-going, so he has every right to not answer questions about an on-going legal situation.

I think the reason for him to reject question about is personal life is not because it are question about an on-going legal situation.

In case it would be other kind of gossip, like about his relation to some movie actress he was seen with in a romantic dinner setting at a trendy restaurant or who is that mysterious blonde on his side, or the terminal illness of his favorite pet dog - he would equally refuse to answer even if there aren't any legal problems with an on-going legal situation attached to.

He is just a messenger, a spokesperson of an organization called WikiLeaks. His aim isn't personal fame. He wants to talk about this topic and not himself what is irrelevant to the message. Off topic. Address the OP, the content of a post rather than the poster - as they say at the thaivisa forum.

If you don't have a strong opinion about Julian Assange one way or the other - then you are doing it right.

WOW he is really starting to spread himself aroundclap2.gif

Meet Homer Simpson’s new neighbour: Julian Assange

http://rt.com/news/j...sons-guest-123/

reminds me of the famous quote of actress Tallulah Bankhead “I don’t care what they say as long as they talk about me.” giggle.gif

It isn't about him or that he wants to become famous. He is in it to bring a message to the people. And if he visits the All-American family there is something that he wants make them to see.

http://theclicker.to...on-the-simpsons

That 500th episode, titled "At Long Last Leave," the Simpsons family are evicted from Springfield, according to Fox. It is in their rugged new community where they meet their new neighbor played by Assange, Jean told EW. "He invites them over for a home movie and it's an Afghan wedding being bombed," Jean revealed to the magazine.

It isn't about him or that he wants to become famous. He is in it to bring a message to the people. And if he visits the All-American family there is something that he wants make them to see.

That 500th episode, titled "At Long Last Leave," the Simpsons family are evicted from Springfield, according to Fox. It is in their rugged new community where they meet their new neighbor played by Assange, Jean told EW. "He invites them over for a home movie and it's an Afghan wedding being bombed," Jean revealed to the magazine.

"It isn't about him or that he wants to become famous. He is in it to bring a message to the people." cheesy.gif

Would love to have just a little of whatever it is you are on.drunk.gif

I think it would be great if he could interview the two women that accused him.

Or maybe the Swedish prosecutor who illegally leaked details of the accusations.

Other than that I'm afraid it would just be a show of him asking leading questions in an attempt to be self serving.

I can't see it lasting.

"It isn't about him or that he wants to become famous. He is in it to bring a message to the people." cheesy.gif

Do you think he does all that to become famous and a celebrity?

Do you think he does all that to become famous and a celebrity?

In a word...Yes.

• 2 months later...

he got the gig because he is not a yes man and the world is waking up to the needless wars and crony capitalism - fascism, and corruption he does his best to expose. Those that oppose him do so because they want the oppression of the developing world because they think that means they will be better off and it makes them feel superior.

and I would like to hear the other sides case because we seldom get the opportunitywhistling.gif

" Julian Assange’s interview with Hezbollah leader Sayyid Nasrallah sparked a wave of media reaction and saw Twitter trends soar."

http://rt.com/news/assange-world-tomorrow-reaction-360/

he got the gig because he is not a yes man and the world is waking up to the needless wars and crony capitalism - fascism, and corruption he does his best to expose. Those that oppose him do so because they want the oppression of the developing world because they think that means they will be better off and it makes them feel superior.

and I would like to hear the other sides case because we seldom get the opportunitywhistling.gif

" Julian Assange’s interview with Hezbollah leader Sayyid Nasrallah sparked a wave of media reaction and saw Twitter trends soar."

http://rt.com/news/a...w-reaction-360/

the other side think he would make an enemy of the empire for a few quid! The empire would bang up nonces for less time if they could.

stole secrets the USA regime would prefer the rest of the world not to know...

well done i say !

Those diplomatic cables he stole made the USA look pretty good. Other countries not so much.

I'd watch the Assange show - at least once to see if its any good. I'll download it over the Internet for FREE though like all the stolen material he posts for download. I'm sure he'd support that 100%. Fight the power!

I don't think Assange will be able to start out slow and keep an audience. He'll have to hit the road running because like me, there will be people interested in tuning in just out of curiosity driven by the media circus he has fomented. I wouldn't tune in next week if he bombed the first. Usually a new show takes time to build an audience and the producers know this so they give it time. With a celebrity, the expectations are higher. A show hosted by a celebrity should have a bigger audience in the beginning so he'll be judged by a higher standard. His whole self-promotion and freak-show feel shtick got him this gig, To keep it he'll need to maintain an audience. It will be a test to see if his minions of online supporters and defenders really want to sit in front of the TV and watch him for 30-60 minutes or if he can attract - and keep - enough regular TV viewers who may not know much if anything about him. Time will tell - unless the Swedes get hold of him first. smile.png

I don't oppose him because I think it means I will be better off and it does not make me feel superior. I don't like him because he looks creepy. He looks like the kind of guy that would try to have sex with a girl if she was asleep. I don't watch TV shows of people who creep me out. Newt creeps me out too. I would watch a Yingluck TV show, especially if she dressed like a gamblers assistant.

Whats wrong with that, if they wont do it when they are awake then take whats next best. giggle.gif

I wonder how many people died horribly in various government cellars around the world as a result of this mans ego trip?

A freak show.

Probably none, of more significance are the number of people around the world that died horribly in Government cellars as a result of covert illegal renditions by various Government secret services, which wikileaks does it's best to expose.

I personally know of several people who dissapeared after the Wikileaks blew their cover. This man is responsible for the deaths of who knows how many people. He is an anemy combatant in the war on terror, not a hero.

Rubbish

• Like 1

Colin, I am sure your gratefulness is appreciated by many. However, let's not let the thread go back through history.

Julian Assange and his current situation would be relevant.

• 4 weeks later...

CONTROVERSIAL WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange stands a real chance of winning an upper house seat in his native Australia if he presses ahead with plans to stand for election, a poll shows.

A survey conducted by the ruling Labor party's internal pollsters UMR Research and published in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper showed 25 per cent of those polled would vote for the whistleblowing website chief.

Supporters of the left-wing Greens party were most likely to be pro-Assange, with 39 per cent saying they would vote for him, meaning he had a good chance of wresting a Greens Senate spot, UMR's John Utting told the newspaper.

"There is clearly a significant level of support for Julian Assange which crosses party lines and is more concentrated amongst Greens voters," he said.

. "At this stage Julian Assange stands a very real chance of being elected to the Senate should he run."

Some 27 per cent of Labor supporters said they would vote for him, as did 23 per cent of conservatives, in the survey of 1,000 voters.

Herald Sun 19/05/2012